Joe GOMEZ: 2022/23

He hasn’t been able to play with this team for a long time, it would probably take him a while to recalibrate to what the team is, especially considering that we would have gone through some big tactical changes while he was out. Of the games you highlight though, I don’t remember his individual performances, but I will say that 2 of them came during that title hangover period, and the third, no one did well in.

1 Like

Thursday Face Palm GIF

1 Like

Apologies for comments last night. Was frustrated and a few pints deep. You make some good points here

He’s always been an error prone injury prone defender, when he can see the game from afar he’s great…he has that recovery pace in his locker, he has time to make the right judgement call…when the game’s at his feet he’s like bambi on ice…getting the ball stuck between his feet, not having the reactionary time gets caught sleeping far too often.

Don’t get me wrong he’s a good squad option to have but if we’re comparing him between Ibou and Joel, I think the argument’s put to bed.

Showed us why he was 5th choice last season at times last night.

Man of the match against the bitters and the whipping boy last night.

Gomez had a stinker last night. But VVD, Trent, and Robertson have been poor so far this season. While that doesn’t absolve him of the poor performance, our poor performances this season isn’t down to him either.

I am keen on knowing how many goals we have conceded this season have come from attacks down our right then left. Have a feeling it’ll be significant percentage more.

I think he suffered from nerves last night. There were a few wobbles, but he was generally solid.

Let’s celebrate the cross for Bobby’s second. That was as good as anything by Trent.

1 Like

I don’t know why he gets so much stick. He is a really, really good footballer.

3 Likes

He is but it’s been a while since he was consistently good at football (granted, there are a few mitigating factors, mostly stemming from his injury history). He was good at right back in matches he played towards the end of last season but I can’t remember the last time he played a match at centre back like he did in 2019 or 2020. With his contract extended, we have to hope he will return to his best and that he will be able to play with consistency.

His best period for me was the start of 18/19, he was alongside Gini our best player in the first few months of that season. And then of course, he had his period in the title winning season. Gomez will always get a bit more love and patience because he has some pace and can play out from the back to a certain level. But time passes by and there are also defensive aspects which are fundamentals. I feel like he might never be what a lot of people hoped he would become. But for the coming future, what you want is at least that he’s fit and a good player for us. Be it as a starter of more of a squad player, which it looks like he might remain.

Brendan didn’t get a lot right in his time here, but signing this don was top of the list.

£3.5m-£5m whatever it was.

1 Like

1 Like

The latest epitome of our season - brilliant against the best striker in the world, then two inexplicable errors, of which the second should have led to a goal, too, against league’s worst side (as we say it over here, “his joystick broke” - like in PES/FIFA when your controller lets you down and player continues walking in the direction they were pointing at at the moment of controller failure).

A part of me is giving up on him and Fabinho and it’s slowly taking over the part which thinks that it’s only a blip, that they might be carrying an injury or playing within themselves for some psychological reason… I really expected more from players who recently extended their Liverpool contracts.

This hasnt aged well

It’s only one match and he was brilliant.

1 Like

Poor in possession today, gave away a few passes especially vertical ones, which I applaud in trying, but execution needs to be improved

Even his City performance wasn’t without his usual defensive weaknesses here and there, though I agree that he was very good. Then the next two performances and especially yesterday, pretty poor. Wanted him to be taken off when we were making subs, bloody just pull Fabinho deeper, I just wanted Gomez out. I don’t think he’s good enough to be a regular starter for us.