Joe GOMEZ: 2022/23

Maybe CB role is the way to save Fabinho’s Liverpool career but I don’t think either is good enough to be playing for this Liverpool side. To think that Konate’s injury would expose Gomez that much… However, with the whole system failing, I won’t be surprised to see some rash decisions from Konate once he’s back but I don’t expect to see lapses in concentration similar to those that Gomez showed yesterday.

Nah, I just wanted Gomez out yesterday, even if it meant pulling Fabinho deeper for a part of the game. In general, Fabinho remains a midfielder and I think he’s going nowhere.

Nat Phillips should get a chance, don’t think the lad got enough credit for what he did for us few years ago when we couldn’t rely on any of our centre backs.

Gomez is far too error prone which he will never cut out.

Keep Nat away from our defence if possible.

2 Likes

The biggest problem I see with Gomez is his inability to get over making a mistake, he makes one and he just loses all sense of calm. He never used to be like this.

You could easily say this is his last season with us to stake a claim for a position because Matip and Van Dijk are getting older and Konate will need a partner.

Here’s your reminder that Joe Gomez has just spent the best part of two years out with just about the worst injury a footballer can get.

He needs time to get back to the level that he’s capable of (notwithstanding the fact that he has already put in some world class displays this year)

I know it’s a radical idea, but perhaps in Joe’s case, a little bit of patience wouldn’t be too much to ask.

4 Likes

Within 2 games, people would want Nat out. It’s always the case of wanting the players who aren’t available or playing we want instead. Gini being the prime example.

3 Likes

He’s been injury free all season Mascot you can’t still be using that as an excuse.

This has been a constant factor in his career here, it’s not something I’ve plucked out the blue from the last few games.

Not true, during our title winning season he was our best defender.

2 Likes

I mean that’s up for debate isn’t it.

Better than Virgil who played every minute of every game? The Virgil who came 2nd for the Ballon d’or? Gomez still missed a fair chunk of that season. Trent Robbo Virgil missed 2 games between them that season. Joe missed 10. In fact for the first half of the season he started and played 90 mins just 4 times.

Our best defender that season…puffs cheeks yeah I’d say it was up for debate, easy thing to say when a player comes under scrutiny.

You can almost guarantee that this is not true unless Jürgen Klopp is no longer the manager.

1 Like

Some next level nonsense.

Van Dijk was our best centre back by a mile. He wasn’t as good as he was in 18/19, but he was still head and shoulders above anyone else.

Gomez has had some individual games in which he has played better than Van Dijk, but he has never been better than him for any sustained period of time.

No shame in that of course, just let’s be sensible here.

1 Like

It’s just not as simple as that. This isn’t FIFA, where you can just wait for the little red cross to disappear and we’re good as new.

He ruptured his patella tendon. That’s as bad an injury in football as you can get. It’s been a career ender until fairly recently, and, as many medical experts have said, it’s a gruelling two year battle to get back to full strength again.

He has been fit this season and ready to play, but that’s just the start. He’s got to get back into the rhythm of week in week out football, build relationships and get to understand a team that has changed a lot since he was injured.

The club did not hesitate to give him a long term contract, and that’s because he is a simply phenomenal footballer who, had he not been as unlucky as he has been, would be cemented as first choice for both Liverpool and England.

He is going to make mistakes as he gets back in the groove of regular football. But when he gets there, and everything crossed for him, we have an outstanding defender on our books.

3 Likes

Fairly certain he’s been used sparingly until now for that precise reason. Yet people seem to be wanking themselves off over Konaté taking the place which Gomez would have been assumed to take when Matip was injured. Almost as if some can’t fathom that Jürgen might actually want to keep both Konaté and Gomez as long-term members of his defensive unit.

1 Like

I disagree, there was a 3 month period where Gomez was by far the better defender, he bailed Van Dijk out multiple times during that period. Maybe slightly hyperbole to say our best defender over the season but certainly was outstanding during that campaign.

Bailed Van Dijk out multiple times? The dude was faultless, 10/10 performance every game maybe the odd 9/10…he was unstoppable.

There would be no title winning season without Virgil.

Gomez was always our third choice CB - at best.

Nothing wrong with that.

1 Like

In the Virgil era, every CB had it’s go and period when they merited being Virgil’s partner. Thing is, every CB during that time had it’s injury problems and drops of form. Lovren had the initial run to Kiev, Gomez had his periods, Matip also. On paper, I feel Matip was always one who we viewed as the best of the rest below Virgil and I always agreed with that. That doesn’t mean Gomez didn’t have periods when he merited to be ahead of Matip. Konate came in and showed promise, maybe with hope to threaten Matip’s spot (while maybe also evolve into a serious player by the time Virgil stops). It also pushed Gomez back, since he again had heavy injuries. I have more and more doubts that Gomez will ever reach a certain level that people hope for him. If he’s here, if he’s fit, he’ll be good to have as a backup option.

3 month period? I must have serious amnesia, I don’t remember that.

Van Dijk is better at every aspect of the game. Van Dijk has always covered for Gomez’ lack of aerial dominance. Van Dijk is much better on the ball. He’s much better in the opposition box. He’s better in a duel with the forward, he’s a more calming influence to those around him.

Gomez has had good spells of form but he has always been an inferior player to Van Dijk. Van Dijk has always been far more important than Gomez in every season he has been here.

1 Like

Now Matip is 1 who has performed on par with if not better than Virgil for a certain periods last season…and yes he 100% is the first choice partner for Virgil until the time comes when Ibou can step up to the plate…early signs are very promising as he’s already shown many times how good he can be.
Take nothing away from Joe, still has plenty to give and he’s only entering the prime of his career now but don’t think he can ever be relied upon to be first choice.

1 Like