Joe GOMEZ: 2022/23

I think Fab would be exposed more at CB in our current squad as he has no recovery pace

1 Like

Said it before, Gomez is a liability.

Nonsense. He is a very good defender albeit one with a couple of glaring weaknesses in his game. If he had stayed healthy and not missed so much time, he might have ironed them out. But that was always Gomezā€™s biggest problem.

Yep, not a big fan, hope KonatƩ can play on Wednesday.

You said it yourself, I donā€™t think you can be a very good defender having with a couple of glaring weaknesses, which are mostly defending weaknesses in his case.

Season 1 Nbc GIF by The Titan Games

Heā€™s had some good games this season and some shockers. I felt sorry for him last season when he couldnā€™t get a game but having watched him this season it seems reasonable to assume Klopp will only play him when needs must.

Gomez has had periods when heā€™s been very good. Then he got injured and had to start from scratch all over again. The ability is there, he just lacks the consistency either because heā€™s injured for months or because heā€™s playing catchup with limited game time.

I like him better at fullback.

Still lots to come from Joeā€¦
At his age now, VVD had only just joined Southampton where he remained for almost 3 seasonsā€¦ and we all know how well he has performed since he left them eh

Lets be honest, unlike VvD, Gomez has never been a mainstay as a CB. He has done well when called upon but we all know he has his limitations. A rash tackle here and there, sometimes caught out of position. For his age and experience, its normal. But letā€™s not make him an heir to VvD. He is a great option to have, but thats it. He is not someone we can build our defence around.
Hope he stays fit and grabs the second CB spot

And you were wrong before too.

I hope he stays fit also, but if heā€™s keeping Konate and Matip out of the team then heā€™s either turned into peak Baresi or theyā€™ve both joined the list of the permanently injured.

1 Like

Or we have got 4 CBs in : VvD, Konate, Matip and Gomez.
Sounds optimistic but sounds good no?

4 errors leading to shots on target this season, the most in our squad.

1 Like

Nothing new for Joe then.

Really is a good thing he has good pace otherwise he would be in all sorts of bother and made to look even worst than he is.

The sad part is what he did prior to the pass is exactly what makes him good. He is so quick and so strong that there was no way that guy was going by him and so he turned a potentially difficult situation into one where he was comfortably on the ball under no real pressureā€¦

He was benched not for nothing by Klopp earlier this season. Too bad Matip got injured.

Canā€™t wait for KonatĆ© to be back.

Shocking error for the goal, actually thought he recovered pretty well from the early mistake though. Didnā€™t shy away from the ball and was trying to ping some long passes into Robertson in particular.

Thing is, I find our passing as a team in general this season to be a massive step down from last season, and Iā€™m not even sure why this is so. It reminds me unnervingly of the 2020-21 season. Too often we have so many wasted opportunities just because we canā€™t pass properly. The entirety of added time last night alone.

1 Like