Joel MATIP: 2020/21

Him and Keita (remember him?) to find new employers next season

2 Likes

Possibly, but a good few months out with ligament damage might be what the rest of his body needs to sort itself out. Iā€™m sure the physios will be looking at his programme to work on that.

1 Like

Worst luck with injuries ever in a single season for one club?

4 Likes

Out for the remainder of the seasonā€¦,his fitness record is a joke. Lovely player when fit. Never fit, canā€™t be relied on to sustain fitness so time to offload him.
Sad, but time to be ruthless with him I feel.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s a logical conclusion but I canā€™t help the feeling that it would take a miracle for him to sort out his fitness record at this age. I think Sturridge once said that some players just donā€™t have the bodies for football, that he inherited his susceptibility to injuries from his father and uncle even. Matip seems to be one such player. I doubt weā€™ve seen the last of him in a Liverpool shirt, though, but only because no one else will take him due to his injury record.

2 Likes

Matip just hasnt caught a break at all. Injured in preseason and always struggling from then on to get fit and game time and when ever he did he broke back down with same injury or something newā€¦ before we signed him he didnā€™t have any injuries so its just an awful time for him personally and of course for the club.

Really hope he gets back to full fitness and gets a full season under his belt for us or someone else cause when hes on his game he makes the game look effortless.

Best of luck to him with his recovery YNWA

2 Likes

Fucking Harry Kunt

1 Like

summer of 2024.

Another 3 years of this shit. Unsellable.

For defending champions probably, yeah.

Heā€™s such a great player. If he wasnā€™t so brittle heā€™d be one of the best and most valuable defenders in the game.

6 Likes

Iā€™d love to see his injury record over his time here. He must have missed a substantial amount of games.

Huge loss IMO.

Iā€™m still confused how heā€™s done ligament damage to the extent to keep him out for the season and yet no sign of even a limp during the game. Really started to think he slipped in the changing room or something.

Oh well whoā€™d have thought that weā€™d have 3 central defenders out with serious long term injuries. That is nuts and not something I can ever remember happening to any team, anytime.

4 Likes

Unsurprisingly, his ligaments are made of linguine.

2 Likes

Its no coincidence that we only announced just after we confirmed signings that he is out of the season. I always believed that if Matip had not been out for a long term injury, we would never have triggered the last minute signings (in terms of timing, not in terms of target, I believed we knew about these players for a long time) and that is why we had been ambiguous previously on how long Matip would be out for, just saying it might be a serious one as it might affect negotiations.

2 Likes

Just came here to post just this. Turns out Matip was indeed hurt when Kane unnecessarily twisted into him and fell on him. Absolutely fuming. Completely unnecessary. Iā€™m sure many will say Iā€™m overreacting but itā€™s all there. This is no one-off accident or chance.

One of the dirtiest players in the entire world, yet, the world loves him.

https://twitter.com/lfcbradd/status/1354973803676372993?s=21

2 Likes

Well unlike Pickford at least he fucked himself over as well, if thatā€™s done for Matip mind he was going be injured at some point.

I think we may still have done Davies if Matip hadnā€™t been injured as rumours we started talking midweek probably more due to the Rhys Williams performance at Man Utd than anything. But yeah I doubt Kabak happens if Matip was back in 2-3 weeks.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve no love for Harry Kane but I canā€™t see that tackle as dirty. You see that coming together all the time and both players normally get up and carry on imo.

1 Like

You might be right. Itā€™s just annoying (to me) he was injured as severely as he was.

Gutted for Joel. Another huge loss.

1 Like

I donā€™t think he was deliberately trying to hurt him , but with Kane itā€™s just his fucking snideness that gets under the skin. Heā€™s a very ā€˜cleverā€™ player who seeks an advantage from any position he can. If he wore red weā€™d love him.

1 Like