Joel MATIP: 2020/21

Yeah, let’s hope for the best. Still, it’s really rotten luck that out of three serious targets, we missed out on the one who would have the best chance to reinforce us genuinely short-term (your compatriot from Marseille), and had to settle for players who aren’t at our level yet and are rather medium/long-term projects.

Then both Matip and Ox run their contracts down and are sold for nothing, now that is negligent

1 Like

As much as I feel for players who get injured given that the risk of re-injury seems to be much greater, I do wonder how he made it this far with his fitness issues. What was his injury record like at Schalke? I don’t doubt that the PL, and particularly playing in a high-energy, athletic team, puts strain on players that is unique, but you’d think if he was as brittle as a bag of crisps that some coach would have gone “right, nice player but can’t stay fit, sorry Joel” at some point. The number of players who have had to call time on their career early is significant, so I’m surprised that he made it this far.

He has been class for us at times over the years. The trouble is, those times are too far apart and are punctuated by lengthy spells out.

https://theanfieldnoise.com/t/the-unreliable-rumours-thread/51/2479?u=iftikhar

2016/17: 32 games 2725 mins
2017/18: 35 games 2819 mins
2018/19: 31 games 2342 mins
2019/20: 13 games 1045 mins
2020/21: 12 games 866 mins

Last season he was kept out of the starting XI by the imperious form of Joe Gomez, otherwise he would have clocked more minutes. My point is; though not being omnipresent like VVD or Robertson, Matip contributes substantial minutes despite having serious fitness issues.

I think from next season onwards, Matip will take the Milner/Lovren role, an experienced and capable squad option and our CB roaster should look like this:

VVD: the unquestionable starter and pivot while affording him as much break possible.
Gomez & new CB: competing with and covering for each other for the other spot beside VVD.
Matip: when fit competing with Gomez & new CB for the other spot beside VVD.
Davies: Depth. VVD replacement in cup games and picking up odd games here & there.

The first 3 seasons were not bad, he is such a talented player and so injury prone reminds me of Sturridge. 30 this year.

1 Like

Yeah, he was fine when he came in. He’s only developed these issues in the last couple of years.

1 Like

Joe can’t be relied upon.

1 Like

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLytKZZhnmp/?igshid=vb0zibt7k0zv

Joel is about to become a father for the first time.

6 Likes

Congratulations Joel. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

At least he’s showing signs of life in bed.

5 Likes

That’s harsh. He is always lively, even on one foot.

3 Likes

Oh! shit another way he could get injured, more cotton wool please. :slightly_frowning_face:

2 Likes

Last night I dreamt that Dortmund has signed Matip.

Was it a wet dream?

Joel joined Schalke aged 6. He would never sign for Dortmund.

4 Likes

Didn’t know dream has to be logical/practical, where do I file a complaint???

11 Likes

Department of Dreams, Section 4, Corridor 2, Door 5. I thought everyone knew this.

6 Likes

Still classified under No Return Date :expressionless:

I thought Klopp confirmed he was out for the season?

1 Like

Yeah, but how long is that…June! July!! August!!!

Doubt we will hear much til the end of the season on that, generally don’t give much out if the player is due back next season.

1 Like