Joël MATIP: 2022/23

He was supposed to return before the Q22 break. Don’t think he has returned to training yet.

He was initially out for 2 weeks after the Arsenal game. That was over 4 weeks ago. Expect him back in March.

You’ve got to be pretty ballsy to initially come out and say he’ll only be out for 2 weeks.

Possible for Soton.

Wasn’t happy with his lack of anticipation and non going for defensive headers last night. Too passive in some key actions. When Konate is rested and ready for action, he might get the chance to come in and stay.

First half he was generally ok but the gap he left by coming out he is certainly behind Konate.

Rumours of a few centre backs doesn’t surprise me.

Wasn’t impressed at all by his positioning and general reading of the game. Completely lost track of Watkins for their goal in a small area. A down year for him like pretty much everyone else.

I don’t care how cute he is.
If he hasn’t won anything he shouldn’t be touching the sign :rofl:

1 Like

His old man has won enough for the both of them.

2 Likes

What was that today…

Honestly, one of Gomez/Matip needs to be moved on this summer.

Hint: it’s Gomez.

We won’t get rid of either because that’d mean FSG would need to stump up few bob for a replacement.

Or we get rid of Gomez and move Nat to 4th choice which I too can see happening.

& then once Matip moves on the summer after Nat will be 3rd choice and some kid from the academy no one’s heard of will be the 4th option.

Fully expect our CB options by 2026 to be Ibou, Nat, some kid and some other kid.

Think it was just a bad day at the office but I thought he took his goal well…

More seriously the first goal was just comedy. Joe is too far forward, Matip is not decisive and the pull back is shinned into the goal - and even while that is all in progress, TAA is watches on hoping it misses…

Not for me. Matip plays one position. He can’t even play LCB. Gomez plays everywhere across the back line. He obviously stays. Homegrown and versatile.

And shit.

Joe “the daydreamer” Gomez

1 good season in 6. injures for the other 3 and utter crap for the other 2.

Virgil also plays one position…

That’s not a great argument. Gomez’s versatility is surely a good thing for him, but his defending is not good enough for a while now.

One of them will have to go. Some would say two, but with out midfield needs and the CB position being a tricky one, I don’t see us signing 2 midfielders and 2 CB’s.

And six year younger.

If Joe Gomez had done what Matip did for the first goal he’d need to go into police protection. The shit he gets is absolutely unreal and now falling well into the realm of confirmation bias.

1 Like

But he is first choice.

If we going to have a fourth choice defender, he can’t be as limited as Matip.

Joe’s ability to slot in anywhere in the back line is a huge asset in a cover player.