Joël MATIP: 2022/23

Not a big deal I don’t think, because Konate and Gomez so far both played RCB and LCB (we can discuss how well though…). Klopp even put someone as limited as Phillips at LCB.

It’s a factor, but it wouldn’t be decisive for me. The main thing is that Gomez has over Matip is probably the age factor and we might go another year with him being 4th choice.

Plus, Matip’s contract situation, this summer might be our only chance to get a fee for him.

Time to cash in before we’re stuck with another ageing unfit player.

Pace is the only thing he has.

Did you even see where he was for the first goal?

When Joel put that ball in his own net my first though was ‘wonder how the lads on the forum will make this Joe’s fault’ :thinking:

Well he’s part of the defence and needs to do better…the ball sails over his head and he’s stood daydreaming…Matip at least goes back with the man and tries to block the ball in…even if it goes through Matip’s leg the guy behind him has a tap in because he’s gained about 60 yards on Gomez. Pitiful defending.

Totally agree an easy target when he was far from being our worst defender

Yes defending their attacker who pulled out wide, then trying to recover.

Only one person to blame for their 1st as what Matip was doing was beyond me.

Ffs I have actually responded to one of your posts grrrr

Serious question

Will we have problems to fullfill the homegrown thing if Ox, Milner and Nat leave?

Similar to Sturridge it will be too expensive to replace Matip.

Think Joel would only consider a move back to Germany and we won’t be able to get more than €10m for him.

Some stupid English club would surely pay +£20m for Gomez.

There is no minimum number of homegrown players required.

There is however a maximum of 17 non-homegrown players that can be registered.

Arthur, Adrian and Naby leaving would help, right?

Nearly got done again when he dithered over a simple back pass to Alisson.

I only watched the first half, but he had a nightmare. Like Brighton.

On their 1st goal he had the player covered and seemed to stop as though trying to play him offside, it was bewildering and this is someone who rates or did rate Joel highly.

Yes he did almost give a 2nd goal away but thankfully Ali saved him.

I find it perplexing that so many of our players have become so slow in thought and motion, is our training too demanding or is it that father time has caught up with them

On the ball some of his ball carrying was good, but off the ball defensively, looked very, very rusty. Last season he surprisingly got to 43 games, he was very good and consistent. Although Konate managed to push him out a little bit at the end of the season. Regardless if it’s him or Gomez, someone needs to be moved out and we need to keep building for the present and the future.

He was poor on the ball in the 1st half but stepped it up in the 2nd, it is the side of the game that has made Joel important to us as he can carry the ball and break the press we need other players that can do the same I think our CB’s including VVD are pretty poor on the ball when we are pressed.

Joe used to try and play balls through midfield to a forward or advanced midfielders feet, but has stopped that, it is a risky pass but when it comes off it causes chaos, just like what Joel does.

For me his drop off in form hasn’t been as bad as others. Then again, maybe he hasn’t played enough to show that he can keep up with others shitty form :man_shrugging:t2:

Clean sheet vs Everton.
Clean sheet in the last 20 minutes when he came on against Real.
Clean sheet vs Palace.

Haven’t played one minute in the last 5 games since and i feel that’s really harsh on him.

Well, that’s part of the reason why this season he’s not playing more. There was a drop in performances. Not always, not in a row, but he had some very weak games and actions. We’re not talking about Fabinho-level, but there’s no hiding that Matip has struggled this season and has possibly lost the “2nd best” status on paper.

Last season Matip was very good, managed to get for the first time at Liverpool to 40+ games. We couldn’t use him always 3 times per week though. Konate pushed him hard towards the end and got the nod in Paris.

This season both Matip for Gomez struggled, for me Gomez even more. Konate wasn’t without his mistakes here and there, but there was a sense that we missed him and he went straight in before the WC. Had a couple of top games then. I’m fine with him currently in our XI, we cannot chop and change at CB.

For me, Matip even at his best was never a CB of superb level. He’s a better CB than Gomez, but out of the two, it will probably be Matip who leaves. Ideally, you’d replace both, but with our needs this summer and other factors, it will be highly unlikely.

Virgil is first choice CB, he plays all the minutes…then the other 3 have all had their chances to show case who should be his partner (mainly due to injury).

Gomez has had plenty of chances and has proven to be nothing more than a liability, please get rid of him in the summer.

There hasn’t much between Matip and Ibou this season but Matip has had 1 too many brain fart moments (which luckily a lot of the time doesn’t go punished) whereas Ibou it’s more a collective error, but now is the time to push Ibou and give him the games as he is the future…doubts creeping in of Matip’s future, possibly gone in summer almost certain to go the next summer if not.

Moving on Joe Gomez would be fucking insane. Covers four positions, homegrown, still young, seemingly happy to be fourth choice.

Selling Gomez leaves holes all over the backline. Not only do you need a centre back who can cover the left and right sides, you’ve also lost Cover for both full back positions.

I’m all four buying a Centre Back, but the one to move on has to be Matip. Wrong side of 30, shocking form, can only play one position.

He’s hopeless I’m sorry to say. The guy leaves holes in the defence whenever he plays.

& we don’t need a CB to cover at full back which is why we signed Kostas & Ramsay…thought we’ve moved past the whole playing of players out of position? Don’t recall Gomez ever playing LB under Klopp & fact he prefers to play Milner there over him should really tell you all you need to know.

Matip has a year left & he’s a million miles better than Gomez so there wouldn’t be much point in that…selling him for 20-25m and putting that money to someone like Timber would represent smart business.

You can make an argument for moving either player on, or both. Certainly wouldn’t be insane to move Gomez on because he is not a particularly good player.

1 Like