Joël MATIP: 2022/23

Which are the holes when Joe Gomez doesn’t play and why doesn’t he fill them more often these days when we have underperfoming players? If it’s not 2018 or 2019 anymore. I would love if we could bench Trent for a game or two or Virgil on the back of some of his performances lately. Where is that competition that would be insane to let go?

What was a bit insanse, to give an example, was us not signing a CB in the summer of 2020, when Lovren left. That was a horrible decision. Regardless of the bad luck we had, we didn’t help ourselves.

Moving on a 4th choice CB who can do a job at full back for a better player (even for 1 position) is nothing too dramatic.

Konate, even if he’s not the nicest on the eye technically (and long term it might be better for him to remain at RCB), has also covered both sides at CB.

I could see a scenario where Matip leaves this summer and Gomez (if nothing changes with his status) possibly in one of the next windows. His current contract leads him to the age of 30. I don’t even see him a “Nacho” (a loyal, reliable, but eternal backup type of versatile defender), he’s not that reliable in my opinion.

Could someone please post W D L in all competitions for starts of Matip, Konate and Gomez this season?

Anyway, doubt Matip or Gomez will leave this summer but we will add a CB to change the competition a bit.

Matip will leave on a free next summer and hopefully we will then bring in Gvardiol or similar.

1 Like

I think there’s a higher chance that we actually don’t even sign a CB this summer than signing one and keeping both Matip and Gomez. We have 30 senior players at the moment, that number will have to be lowered and resfreshed with a few additions. More players leaving than arriving. With needs in a few positions, possibly without CL football, who knows what kind of budget and not much assets to sell, I don’t see us going into next season with 5 senior CB’s (let’s not put Matip and Gomez in the same bracket as Nat or Rhys, I don’t know how the former is still on our books).

When started together this season with Virgil (given that Virgil has missed all the games in the EFL & FA cup along with a handful of league games)

Virgil + Ibou - P9 W5 D0 L4
Virgil + Matip - P9 W5 D3 L1
Virgil + Gomez - P14 W8 D1 L5

We’ve had some really really bad results when Virgil hasn’t played, both 3-0 losses to Brighton & Wolves…the 2-1 loss to Brighton in FA cup, the 2-2 at home to Wolves.

1 Like

Like I said in another thread, looks very rusty now when he gets a game out from the cold. Doesn’t bode well if he’s to be a backup. Better for him to find a new club this summer.

Better for him to see out his contract.

Matip complements VVD well. Bring the ball out. Once we have a functioning midfield again, the usefulness of Matip’s abiuty to step into midfield with the ball against teams stubborning defending postion is key to starting off moves.

Brutal :rofl:

2 Likes

I’d be in favour of giving Matip another 12 months on his current deal, whether he’d be prepared to accept that is another thing…our record with him partnered with Virgil is impressive.

This shape lends itself better to Gomez’s supposed strengths than to Matip’s. The fact Joel was selected last night in Konate’s absence I think likely suggests if we’re looking to move one of them on it will be Joe.

Gomez is terrible and can’t be trusted in any shape, Klopp and his staff should’ve known this years ago and got him out back then.

As far as strengths over the other options we have go, the only strength he has over Matip is pace (& age). It’s in his best interest now to start looking for regular football elsewhere, he shouldn’t be short of suitors in the Prem.

Aren’t West Ham rather good in the air or am I getting things wrong? Gomez isn’t particularly good aerially, and I remember Jürgen justifying bringing Origi on instead of Minamino against them because of that, years ago.

No new deals for Matip anymore if you ask me.

Neither Gomez nor Matip will be allowed to leave this summer.

Fair play to Matip he broke the away shirt curse.

We had some wonderful run of games throughout the years with him and VVD as a pair. But I do think his time as the permanent pairing is up but yet I think we should try to tie him up as a 3rd or 4th choice. He has done well most of the time whenever he played. He is of course guilty of brain farts which even our world class VVD has had but I think you will find hard to get a more experienced 3rd or 4th choice of his quality. And I think he would be willing to play that kind of role in the squad. Another 2 or 3 years would do us well to build the next generation of CBs.

Allowed to leave, I think Matip will be. Whether it happens, we’ll see. It probably should. But that also might depend on our budget and how much money can we put into a new CB.

I said a few weeks back that homegrown status was probably the only thing keeping Gomez at Liverpool (OK, that and Klopp’s unwavering belief that players can return to form eventually).

If it was possible, I’d like to see both him and Matip sold but I agree with you, they will both likely be kept and Matip will leave like he arrived - on a free transfer. I do hope we are proactive and sign a good centre back in the summer.

star wars GIF