Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool Legend

It says death.
It says taxes.
and it says poxy journalism. (the ones we hear on a daily basis)

I’m not sure of that at all

3 Likes

Jurgen Klopp on people questioning his future at the club:

“This is a human reflex, completely normal. It doesn’t bother me at all. When times are good, we’re always inflated. In bad times there’s a lot to be said. I can handle that with ease. No problem!”

“The approach with seven years in Mainz and Dortmund and now seven years in Liverpool is obvious. But if I had noticed that things were going in the wrong direction here even after seven years because of me, I would have been the first to leave.”

“I was aware that it is currently a transitional period. That’s why the club and I agree that I’ll stay behind the wheel and that we’ll look at the whole thing in the medium to long term.”

[Bild]

6 Likes

His return to the club was as the #2, replacing Buvac. Most of the shocking revelations being used to argue he has taken on an oversized role (“he leads all the training sessions”) are just describing what is part of the job description. The rest of it is just where the anti-Achterburg angst has had to go now we’ve got a world class goalie.

That doesnt mean he is immune to criticism, because when our performances are like this no one can be. But this isnt that.

4 Likes

If Pepijn Lijnders is assuming a greater role, surely it’s by the consent and according to the wish of Klopp.

2 Likes

The tactics we started this season with, and appear to have doubled down over the winter break are a carbon copy of the tactics Lijnders employed at NEC.

Wide forwards pushed to the touchline, fullbacks underlapping, midfielders roaming high up… Sound familiar?

Whilst I’m sure Lijnders isn’t the devil, to ignore what is plain in sight I don’t get and is surly a talking point.

Otherwise what other reasons can you say for why as a team we have tactically gone backwards? We basically have no structure and are the 3rd worse team in the league for chances allowed at 51. From a team that controlled games and managed lots of 1-0 games to being wide open all game…

We’ve gone from intensity is our identity to no identity.

1 Like

Boring to blame the assistant coach.

Engine Wijnaldum left.

Thiago - who never was a workhorse - came in.

Other workhorses like Milner, Bobby and Hendo get older and start to miss games because of injuries.

Mané left - another workhorse gone.

Jota and Diaz came in - different type of players and hit by injuries.

Nunez is a workhorse but he and Salah are being left alone in attack because Carvalho and Ox (both are doing ok) can not do what Mané, Diaz, Jota and Bobby usually provide.

There goes your identity.

4 Likes

There are loads of reasons, discussed in detail across the forum. Likely, as with most system problems, to be a complex interaction of factors.

Don’t think it’s ‘plain sight’ that the problem is Ljinder’s NEC tactics

I don’t think it’s just a losing the workhorses thing, but also just a shift to a new system that would take longer to implement, especially when you have random injuries affecting who you can put out.

We have had quite a few injuries that happen at the very last minute (cf. Keïta against United), so much so that training might as well just be mitigating those issues rather than managing the transition well enough. Not to mention that we didn’t really get that much of pre-season training in.

In my opinion, that’s probably why we’re seeing rather high variance of our play, rather than being consistently shite. It’ll take us some time to settle down, but any shift away from trying to implement it would cost us so much that we might as well give up on implementing the change.

If so however, then we revert to the same point where people were accusing us of being stale and “found out”. So many on here were already calling for a transition midway through a historically unprecedented season of success, being denied effectively only through a couple of matches, and yet now so many of the same people are saying we shouldn’t have changed?

Let’s not read too much into fancy phrases.

If we were made only of intense workhorses we’d be bang midtable.

Not long ago, this was a side that was closest in English history to the quadruple.

Not everything is about distance, sprint and speed.

Although I’ve had the feeling that maybe some mistakes were made in pre-season.

And it’s impossible for us outside to know what it is exactly, there’s also the accumulation part that leads to more injuries and mental part as well.

The answer is not to start buying players like we’re back in 2016 (that is typical paranoiac stuff of us mortals), but get the right mixture again.

3 Likes

That would fall under the him not being immune to criticism but not what is covered in that piece. I think there are a ton of holes in even that criticism, but it’s at least not based on getting bent out of shape that the #2 is doing the things a #2 does and treating it like some sort of coup attempt.

For whatever reason, a lot of people seem to think that just because Pep leads the training that means he’s in charge of what we’re trying to do tactically, but that isn’t how it works at this level. Ultimately Klopp is in charge of the vision and the sessions are designed to operationalize that. So either Klopp has set this vision, or he’s asleep at the wheel and allowing a mismatch between what he wants to see and what is being worked on.

1 Like

Just wanted to add, it seems that the causality is always seen as one-way, i.e. Ljinders imposing what he thinks.

I’ve never seen it mentioned that it could well be that he tried to implement at NEC what he had seen discussed and learned at Liverpool.

1 Like

Did anyone watch 10x NEC games?

1 Like

Did he last 10 games?

1 Like

He did actually - 22 in total.

In the league, 20 played, 10 won, 4 drawn, 6 lost.

The most encouraging thing is Klopp is well aware that this is a transitional period, and it is why he signed a new deal - to set it up again for the medium to long term.

That rings true.

The next great Liverpool side is emerging. We all know the score and we all know that it isn’t quite there yet. The midfield in particular needs work, but obviously you can look at the whole side and see that things aren’t quite right.

I’m backing us to do enough this season to finish top four and kick on again.

2 Likes

Kinda boiling down to midfield again no?

judging by his reactions from the sideline on Monday and the 3 changes at the half, there was a breakdown between his expectations and what he’s seeing on the pitch.

Personally, I see a bunch of tired high-mileage legs on the field where we are accustomed to seeing high energy movement and precise passing. Look no further than Bajcetic’s cameo when he came on against Villa and started lighting up their midfield.

Would have been interesting to see if he did it if it was 1-0 because after beyond the first 10 it was pretty dysfunctional.

I assume Robbo may get to be captain a fair bit more, wouldn’t be against it.

I think its just a shame that after going so close last year to almost winning everything that we are now in this state, we have always had a relativley small squad compared to say man city who have always been our main rivals these past 5 years or so, but we either have a bit of bad luck and suffer injuries which hamper us i.e struggling to finish in the top 4 when we have no defenders then the next season when we had a lucky season with injuries we almost won the league! I love Klopp but not sure whether it has been his call to keep a small tight knitted group or whether the owners have not backed him with recruitments? we was in a position of stength at the begining of last season by almost winning everything regarding our recruitment stratergy and we needed to spend in my belief, what we have done now is give arsenal, man u, and newcastle a great chance to jump ahead of us, which they have so far by this seasons showing, going forward them 3 teams if they were to make the top 4 they will easily outspend us going forward which would give us a mountain to climb to ever get back at them.