Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool Legend

Always interesting watching people trying to fit the same words from Klopp to their own personal agenda.

For me, I don’t think when he says these things, he does it from a ‘him talking to the owners’ angle, but from a ‘we’ meaning the club talking the fans.

Yes, we have done well lately, made a lot of money, spent some of that, but going forward there will be rebuilding on the playing side and that’s where the focus will be.

Some players are declining, and will likely move on, but not all and don’t deserve to be recieve the abuse they do based on what they have done for the club in the past.

He clearly sees the need for a rebuild and I trust him to do it.

8 Likes

Totally this. Like VVD keeps saying, they are humans not robots. They have conquered everything for the club. They get injured, they get older, they falter, it happens to all human beings with no exception (no matter how much you get paid).

2 Likes

And seemingly is aware of the criticisms of the players being made from those outside the club and likely doesn’t share the view of how widespread the problem is. It’s like he’s saying, yes we know we need to make changes, but we’re not going to get rid of every player who is getting criticised.

4 Likes

I don’t think it’s a massive rebuild either. I think a couple of athletic, fast midfielders will make all the difference. And ideally a central defender. But if it’s either or, then we have to concentrate on sorting the midfield.
Injuries have hammered us and we’ve persisted with injury prone players and let a couple get old.
I think the club gambled on another season out of Hendo etc, get Curtis, Fabio and Harvey some managed game time and get Jude or whoever in 2023.
Not what I would have done, I’d have got a midfielder in at the start of the season. I think a quality midfielder would have made a big difference.

1 Like

I think this is the right thread to be putting it in, as probably my last meaningful contribution here for a while, but I find it interesting/odd that a lot of people seem to think that it’s adversarial relationships in the club between silos of the football people, the data people, and the money people.

I don’t think Jürgen has ever said anything but “we” all the time, referring to the whole club operations as a team. One thing that keeps getting brought up in the whole discussion about ownership, is about Gordon stepping back from the club, and how Jürgen values his contributions. But surely, if he’s that important, then it cannot be a case that Jürgen disagrees and wants to spend like a drunken sailor.

I think it’s far more likely that they meet, discuss, and look at what is achievable from the perspective of the club’s resources, and plan it out accordingly. Looking at our actions and the public comments from the people involved at the club, our recruitment is at a level where we were mainly looking at opportunistic buys all around (Thiago, Jota, Konaté, Diaz, Núñez, Gakpo, etc.) to complement the team and ease the transition to the next stage. To me at least, it’s telling that Tchouameni (and, if I recall correctly, even Mbappé) has come out to say that we were after him, but he preferred Madrid, and yet Jürgen was adamant that we did not need a new midfielder. Unlike many, it seems, I think he values the people that he has, and even with those comments above, it’s about how do you get out of them what they can do, rather than giving up on them. However, it does not mean he does not also have an eye on the future.

Jürgen does not seem to me to be the kind of manager who’s focus on transforming his team through transfers, but rather someone who thinks he can get the best out of the people he has at his disposal. What we view as loyalty, is perhaps simply just his belief, misplaced or not, that he can do that. That the players he has chosen to retain have not lost what makes them good. He may be right, he may be wrong (and his recent words do suggest that he’s leaning towards the latter with some), but one thing for sure is that this is one of his biggest strengths, that places him above many other managers.

I’m out of here, because I took a recent week’s holiday during which I didn’t touch football-related social media (and that includes TAN), and I felt much better for it. Sure, losing to Madrid sucked, but at least I didn’t have to deal with all the toxicity and knee-jerking from so many. Of course, it’s natural to react to negative events and be upset, and share it with others. But far too many have completely no sense of proportion, and it’s just ridiculous.

I may read some posts, but I think I’m done engaging with most of them. I will miss the debates I have had with people, especially those who challenge me into developing my thinking better, but I am done with the constant whining from some, especially just because we’re not being sold to some billionaire to be their plaything.

To connect it up, I’m just going to leave it here that I think Jürgen loves the club, and loves being here to much to want to leave before he thinks he’s taken us as far as he can go. There will be hard times like this season, like 2020-21, but the only reason why he would be pushed, is from the toxic, entitled behaviour I have talked about. I’m concerned that it won’t be too long before the frustrations start boiling over, and we see the kind of stupidity that Graham Potter is now the target of. We as a fanbase are not immune to that, just look at the targeting of Joe Gomez, Naby Keïta, Alexander Oxlade-Chamberlain, Jordan Henderson, Lucas Leiva, etc. Jürgen is an incredible manager, by all accounts a great person, but he’s human and he’s fallible just like the rest of us. He will make mistakes, and has owned up to a great many of them. But the expectations of so many that he has to be perfect all the time, especially with the aid of hindsight, is just doomed to failure. This is not aided by the clickbait bullshit media that so many are so drunk on, and I mean this in the kindest of ways, but we as fans really need to stop consuming that shite.

10 Likes

Mate this is what I advise anyone after bad results, just step away and do something else.

1 Like

Ironically this came in the middle of the 2 wins that we had. Nothing to do with the individual results, but the toxicity from the frustration of us not doing well, and the spending that Chelsea’s doing that’s so successful for them while we don’t spend a penny despite buying 2 strikers for what could end up well over £100m.

1 Like

Mate you got to learn why god gave us two ears :ear: in one and out the other. :wink::wink:

1 Like

Sorry, what was that?

5 Likes

RA… I never converse nor read any social media stuff apart from TAN, and there is very good reason for that as you have mentioned.
If you start getting withdrawal symptoms and can’t quite handle going cold turkey from the countless gobshites that are out there darkening the mood for everyone else, then maybe limit yourself to TAN, and TAN alone for football debate. Yes there may be a couple that drop into the mood spoiling category, especially when targeting players after a loss, but all in all it is not exactly toxic banter on here, well IMO at least I hope not… Just higher your tolerance level a bit higher and ignore them… like I do.
I get it completely what you are saying and your decision is yours alone… try not to be missing for too long as your posts are part of the TAN fabric :0) :+1:

3 Likes

Interestings, I don’t remember Joe Kinnear being at Wimbledon for that long. I always thought he had around 3-3.5 year spell there.

2 Likes

I find these PL-limited statistics a bit misleading sometimes. For example, Ferguson was at United five seasons more than Wenger was at Arsenal, if we count the era before the Premier League. And if one considers just the Post WWII FA managerial spells, Moyes isn’t among the top 50 longest. That isn’t to say Jurgen’s spell here isn’t impressive. It still is.

7 Likes

Wants to spend money which is what I’ve been saying for years. You’ve been of the mind set that he doesn’t work like that and wants to build a team organically. He’d buy it all in a heartbeat.

Remember he got insomnia at Newcastle​:rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

West Ham had only about 5 managers over a 100 year spell. Their last manager prior to the Prem era was in charge for 25 years.

4 Likes

You do what is good for you, but I think it’s really just a limited amount of posters, that fit your description imho. You could easily get rid of about 90% of it, if you just put like 2 posters on ignore.

5 Likes

I read Jurgen’s comments as saying we need to spend some meaningful dough this summer. We have done very well for the club over the past five years, earning lots of money. Now we need investment to remain competitive at the top, as our competitors are spending more.

1 Like

I am not convinced Jurgen would ever use a press conference to send a veiled message to FSG… I look between the line more to see what message he is putting out there for his players to translate back to themselves… Not sure he gives too much of a monkey in saying what the press want to hear, more about preventing them from using his words for shit-stirring - yeah, I always put myself in the shoes of the players when trying to find meaning in Jurgens statements

5 Likes

See you tomorrow night :wink: