Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool Legend

Firmino was signed under Rodgers, so not a Klopp signing

2 Likes

I always would say it was Alisson.

A good goalie showed the difference

3 Likes

I picked out Gini, simply because he was as close to the perfect Jurgen player we would get to see… To me, he epitomised the humble traits that Jurgen showed in abundance. Nothing flash, nothing arrogant, just a philosophy for hard work to achieve his targets, and was more than willing, to let others garner the praise.

2 Likes

I nearly edited it after I wrote it! Even if Bobby doesn’t count, poor Gini does not get bumped up to number one.

I can get on board with all of that. Smashing player to be fair. When we signed him he was a bit more attacking, but he moved back, and was disciplined for the good of the team.

Could do with signing his like right now.

1 Like

Gini, Hendo and Fabinho is arguably the greatest midfield trio we have in the PL era. Not just because they won everything this club could win but Klopp turn 3 seemingly underrated players into a machine that runs like clockwork. They along with the rest of that legendary team, are a prime example of Klopp at his best.

2 Likes

Gerrard, Masch & Alonso say hi

5 Likes

Right…from a certain point of view.
Subjectively I would personally agree but from a top top silverware matrix, they have not won the PL and only 2 of them together had gotten their hands on 'O Big Ears.
Gini, Hendo and Fabinho achieved that and more…

1 Like

They were all great individually but the coaches just couldn’t get them to excel even more as an unit. The 3 I mentioned would never be signed and looked at by top teams previously but under Klopp they became a world class machine.

1 Like

With a far better team around them, World class keeper, CB, Full backs & 3 of the best forwards.

If Gerrard, Masch and Alonso were surrounded by that quality the prospect would have been mouthwatering, we all no how go Stevie was but look at what the other 2 achieved with other temas and with quality around them

1 Like

They surrounding cast just doesn’t compare to what Hendo, Gini and Fab had, in fact although we considered them a strength, but the defence and forwards were the better units at the time.

Just imagine Masch, Stevie & Xabi with our title winning defence behind them and the best 3 forwards in front of them.

Also, just imagine what Klopp could have done with those 3 midfielders

1 Like

Gini turned out to be a pretty good player for us, but best signing? Nah, clearly no.

If he was that good from the start then we would’ve easily, very quickly, improved his contract (coming from one season from a relegated Newcastle) as we usually did within the first 2 years with players who started impressing immediately.

It’s not like he was bad before his new levels of form from the summer of 2018 (possibly as a strong reaction to us signing Fabinho, Keita and almost Fekir) onwards, but he wasn’t great either.

1 Like

The best won’t live up to their true potential if the supporting cast is not up to standard.
Likewise a good but not great player will be elevated to the edge of greatness by quality teamates.
George Best had been described as the world’s best player never to appear in the World Cup. That’s down to his mediocre coplayers.
Messi great as he have been for decades would be a little less of the legend he is now had he not finally got supported by world class and close to world class footballers in recent years to garner 3 top trophies in a row. In his long barren years at the national level, his middling countrymen let him down.
Big trophies boost every player from GOAT to the destined pedestal, to also-rans to their next higher level. Conversely, lousy teams will be dragged down even with the odd outstanding star in their midst.
Both talent and luck feature in every field in life.

I’m lost you were saying that Hendo, Fab and Gini, were better than Stevie etc. Because they achieved more?

Whereas I pointed out their ‘supporting cast’ were inferior, so your post prives my point??

1 Like

Different era , different times …that’s like saying souness and co where better than Gerrard and co (they were)…and they actually won everything consistently :sweat_smile:

1 Like

No, all I was saying was different points of view.
No absolutes here as it’s impossible to judge for certain which group is better.
Each have their own atributes. It’s all too subjective.
Both are important in their own ways and are good/great by different measures.

1 Like

Different era different times different support cast different length pitch different shade of grass yes. Same sport.

Gerrard is the best of the best of the best the best best of the best. Period.

And that shows how delusional you are

1 Like

History was always going to find fault. It’s too easy. So lets fight it and know what he did.

Of the best :smile: