Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool Legend

Have you ever tasted that shite?

6 Likes

I’m not sure people would drink that just because they sponsor a successful sports team.

Then again I’m probably also overestimating the intellect of people in general.

1 Like

Fixed for accuracy

1 Like

Heineken and Carlsberg, two horrible beers by all accounts, are those drunk the most in the world. Guess why?

As for RB and other similar drinks, there are enough reports out there questioning their effect on our health: full of sugar, full of cafeine and taurine. What could possibly go wrong in the long term? Drinking one from time to time is ok, but excessive consumption can become really bad for health.

Here is such a study: The Dark Side of Energy Drinks: A Comprehensive Review of Their Impact on the Human Body - PMC

So, them owning football clubs is obviously not sportswashing at state level, but they certainly sportswash their product, associating it with a positive sporting experience.

4 Likes

Fair shout, more about market share and getting to feeding our crops with Red Bull.

Hate energy drinks, can’t even smell them, let alone drink them. Disgusting.

6 Likes

I’m going to go out on a hunch and say availability. I’m not discounting the effects of advertising, I’m just pointing out that there’s a difference between sponsorship of a team and actually owning and running it, although I admit my choice of words was terrible.

I’m not sure it’s working that well given the antipathy towards the RB clubs, and the fact that most people still don’t know much of them? But again, I wouldn’t know for sure.

It’s what plants crave!

2 Likes

Maybe I’m just weird, because I don’t think I’ve had any positive association with any brands just because of footballing sponsorships. Apart from the obvious sportwashing ones (Emirates, Etihad), I couldn’t tell you who sponsors most teams. I have never had the urge to drink a Carlsberg either despite supporting us for so long, nor to bank with Standard Chartered. I’m sure we have sponsors than that, but I lost track a long time ago.

3 Likes

To be fair, I do drink a fair amount of milk…

10458702-6760517-image-a-6_1551450253020

11 Likes

A guy in the office here has a drink with electrolytes apparently.

We are all very suspicious…

Oh Jurgen!

Didn’t you learn anything from Hendo?

1 Like

I must admit I did give Carlsberg a try when they were sponsoring us. I concluded that it was probably not the best lager in the world.

9 Likes

Good luck to Jurgen Klopp. I’m not bothered in the slightest about his new job. It’s a crappy energy drink company, going global with a few clubs all over. It’s not a sportswashing thing, just an overly commercialized thing. Quelle surprise, that’s football these days.

Without knowing his job description, he won’t have the day to day weight of a huge club fighting at the top of the game. It feels almost like an ambassadorial role. Travel, use his profile, connections, charm, sync up coaching, systems, help talent to come through, oversee the whole thing… I doubt he will be up to his eyeballs in the day to day.

Seems like a perfect role for him. He also leaves the door open for the German manager job, which is the one last item, apparently, on his professional bucket list. On this point it will be interesting to see how much the backlash in Germany - as RB are very much disliked - will affect Jurgen’s future prospects for the German manager job. I doubt it will change anything much, although if and when he does get that job, he will probably move into the role with a little less affection from the German football fan.

As for the idea of Jurgen going back to club management, even a smaller club and building it all up again, there’s a reason why they say don’t go back. He is at the stage in life where he isn’t an up and coming manager. If he went back to Mainz or equivalent, he would have to repeat the magic all over again, and the day to day hands on requirement for that is not what he wants.

9 Likes

Don’t see why anyone would have a problem with this. Managing Liverpool FC is one of the most demanding jobs in world football - you only have to look at the affect it had on some of our managers over the last 30-40 years - and if Jurgen said he was exhausted by it all and just couldn’t operate at the level he had been any more then that’s good enough for me.

5 Likes

Wish him the best with it. Personally works better for me than him turning up managing another club on a European night.

He owes us nothing, yet we owe him big time.

18 Likes

I am with @RedOverTheWater , as a Liverpool fan, his legacy stays intact unless and IF he manages Man Utd in the future, which is 99.9% not going to happen.
Jürgen is not managing a RB football football club. If i was brought up in Germany, maybe I would feel some disappointment, but he needs something to keep himself busy until after 2026 World Cup. If he had gone to the Saudi Pro-league, I’m sure there would have been some raised eyebrows.
Personally, I cannot see him doing club management again.
He’s been there and done that. He has won every club trophy in his managerial remit. He is looking for new challenges in a slightly different direction. This kind of role suits him for now and I just think this a short term role for him.
I can never dislike him as a person ever. He brought us Liverpool fans so much joy for almost 9 years. I never ever thought I would see Liverpool win the English Premier league in my lifetime, but I witnessed it under Jürgen and with an added bonus of European cup and F.A cup, so I will be forever grateful to him.

7 Likes

Oh come on, it’s not that bad. When Red Bull starts executing gay people get back to me.

In fairness, I get why people don’t want Red Bull teams in their league but it’s nowhere near the level of the nation-state PR projects. Honestly, comparing this to that is severely minimizing what the likes of City/PSG/Newcastle are doing.

13 Likes

Have RB teams broken other rules apart from the 50+1 in Germany?