Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool Legend

Like others, a bit surprised, but not bothered and don’t think it dims his legacy with Liverpool an iota. Dortmund fans might feel a bit different.

If nothing else, maybe he can help Pep sort things out a bit at RB Salzburg, where he seems to be off to a bit of a rocky start, especially in the Champions League.

1 Like

Nah, it’s cool.
He’s dead to me now, but apart from that it’s fine.

10 Likes

Agreed. I genuinely don’t understand how RB can be categorised as ‘sportswashing’. There is a difference between sponsorship/advertising and using sport to whitewash/cover up crimes and humans rights abuse.

I’m a little disappointed but it’s more akin to your favourite band ‘selling out’ and allowing one of their songs to be used in a tv ad.

Like others have said we owe him nothing and he can do whatever the fuck he likes

7 Likes

I heard the miracle spray that used to cure all injuries on the field contains Red Bull.

I think Red Bull has already infiltrated into the PL some players are obviously addicted to it now and haven’t slept in ages. Look…

1 Like

Tsimiikas appreciates your not calling him out.

6 Likes

The problem with Red Bull has never been about sportswashing, not even sponsorships or advertising.
It’s an ongoing systemic fight inside German football culture, which has different traditions than the EPL. Klopp is of course totally aware of all that and the implications and has chosen a side. Massive coup for that side.
It’s about football culture, obviously it’s not even remotely on the same level as dubious regimes, world politics and human abuses.

18 Likes

Biggest heel turn since Hollywood Hulk Hogan

3 Likes

All this about energy drinks being bad for your health whereas alchohol, which Jurgen has promoted before is perfectly ok ???

2 Likes

I mean he has advertised all sorts. Finance and investment companies, beer, cars and so on.

It’s not as if he isn’t up for a paid side gig.

2 Likes

Massively driven man who’s reached the top through dedication, talent and sheer bloody will starts another job after a long break.

Lazy bastard, I’d have had 2 weeks in Aruba then hit the ground running.

As long as he doesn’t cheer them on when playing us I’m fine.

Kind of appreciate the different traditions bit like when there was a demand to have secondary clubs in the league pyramid.

Always been against that.

1 Like

I think this bears emphasizing. The horse bolted on this issue in England so long ago that no one can really even imagine sports without corporatism there anymore.

5 Likes

Indeed. The UK has gone so far down the rabid capitalism road that people have a hard time seeing any other point of view.
Germany has always protected it’s traditions like the ‘Reinheitsgebot’ - strict laws on the contents of beer, for example, and similarly they feel very strongly about keeping football in the hands of the fans and not selling out to corporate entities. Red Bull have undermined this tradition, and thus they are despised by a large number of fans of other clubs. It’s not about the product, disgusting as it may be, it’s about the relationship between the clubs and the fans.

6 Likes

So, we’re saying there’s no large German/International corporations behind German teams historically or presently? Nonsense.

2 Likes

Is it really an attractive league though? Until Leverkusen lat season, Bayern won every of the previous 11 or so seasons?

Yes. You can sit down and enjoy a match for the sheer entertainment of it. Aside from us, I don’t watch the Premier League.

6 Likes

Ok won’t know for myself, I don’t watch much football outside of Liverpool matches

2 Likes

Whilst I get the ideal that the German fans are fighting to protect, Red Bull aren’t the only club in Germany to do this, and nor were they the first.

Bayer Luvikersen ring a bell to anyone?

Wolfsberg started out as a sports club for Volkswagon employees

3 Likes