Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool Legend

The difference is that they both started as works teams prior to the creation of national leagues. RB Leipzig isn’t a works team and was essentially just bought as an advertising mechanism. RB do, technically, follow the 50+1 rule but it is practically impossible to become a member and most of the members are RB employees.

It’s a completely different ethos from the English leagues. After all, Liverpool was originally created as a commercial sporting venture.

4 Likes
3 Likes

For what it’s worth I have no problem with Klopp working for a legit business (even though I hate the stuff) for the benefit of the world game. - despite the 50+1 controversy. Thanks for the insight @Bekloppt.

Interesting that so many Germans are up in arms over this. Bayern are happy to dominate the league and pick the eyes out of the best players/coaches, ironically from RBL. So are Liverpool. Dortmund boss was getting a bit precious in the article but the club takes sponsorship from Rheinmetall if I recall. So you can find plenty of angles.

I enjoy watching RBL with good young players on the rise and attractive football. Even went to the arena last season when visiting Leipzig to watch a match with the beer flowing and plenty of noise.

So good luck Klopp.

3 Likes

In fairness, the Rheinmetall deal was also controversial and a lot of BVB fans protested.
The Bayern dominance is a weakness in the argument.

3 Likes

Red Bull is seen by many fans as the latest, and so far most aggressive, weakening of the 50+1 rule. Started with exceptions for Wolfsburg and Leverkusen, which at least had some basis of an argument (although there are still plenty of traditionalists who indeed don’t really accept them), then came Hoffenheim (Hopp still gets attacked by fans, Banners with targets on his head etc) and then Red Bull.
The fear was always that you if you weaken 50+1 more and more, basically take it ad absurdum, normalise that (Klopp being the latest coup) and then get rid of 50+1 once and for all (plenty of discussion and advocates for it already, Hannover 96 and the fight inside it is another example) - and then boom! you end up with Manchester City or PSG and ask yourself how the hell did we end up here.

11 Likes

A fact that some really wish wasn’t true.

1 Like

Last line sounds perfect for him.

The best thing a Tory has ever done.

100%. What many others aren’t getting is that Klopp is effectively washing the reputation of the RB franchises in exchange for a big wad of cash. He’s not going to be doing ‘football good’ (his whole statement seemed an empty platitude and quite a change from the Klopp that started at Liverpool) and his reputation deserves to be tainted (certainly in Germany) because of this sports washing. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s a Hendo redux and he comes to regret his choice and doesn’t end up staying very long

3 Likes

Well Red Bull have slaughtered any people due to their sexuality so I’ll give it a bit of a leeway but then for some principles don’t stretch as far in some cases than others.

It’s not nearly ok, on the contrary. As said earlier, I’ve always felt uneasy when I saw him wasting time for advertisments while with us.

And then he leaves us, saying that he feels exhausted. Go wonder… :thinking:

1 Like

Jurgen doing adverts while with us is all about balance. He is a high profile German, very well known in his homeland, so if companies e.g. Erdinger, Opel, want to give him money to do an advert, I’ve no issue with that. Good luck to him.

Obviously if there was ever a question that his commercial interests were affecting his main job, then the balance at that point would be all wrong. I don’t think we ever got near to that point.

He was here for 9? years, gave his all, and won the lot with us. He was exhausted with it all in the end, and he left on his own terms with his head held high.

11 Likes

https://x.com/IcefoxRMA/status/1844436926151225384

3 Likes

Seems like in recent seasons, we love scrutinizing to death what our ex players and now manager do. Not saying that they are flawless or can do no wrong, but in this case, I really don’t see what wrong Klopp has done. Offended people do not mean they are right. But for those who are on the internet, feel free.

2 Likes

In a world where City/Newcastle exist, I don’t think this is the worst thing anyone has done, but like you said, no one is flawless. @Cologne-Liverpool 's critisism is a legitimate one

4 Likes

It’s exactly because the Germans want to stop the slide towards petro-oligarchs and human rights abusers owning clubs that people are critical of Klopp for this move. The genie’s out of the bottle in England, but not yet in the BL.

9 Likes

I think the 50+1 is a great concept but no problem with what Klopp is doing. To me they are separate.

1 Like

If 50+1 is a great concept, how is working for an organisation which is dedicated to overturning that concept a good thing?
You can’t have it both ways.

6 Likes

Yes, that’s exactly what I was trying to explain. There’s no discussion that Red Bull isn’t even close to what these regime takeover sportswashing operations are, but many think there’s a real and quite obvious danger it’s a further step in that direction. We’ve seen the red lines being moved further and further in the last decades. In the end money interests always win unless people in and around football get their act together and don’t just mindlessly clap for ‘exciting projects’, nice football and shiny new talents.

4 Likes

Cos it’s a concept not a law? Is greatness exclusive only to the 50+1 concept? Whatever red bull is doing, it’s mainly bad only to people who are against it because if it’s bad in principle, why don’t Bundesliga just ban it and dictate that only 50+1 concept allowed?