Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool Legend

Because money.

3 Likes

It’s a rule:

I didn’t say that greatness is exclusive to this rule, I was quoting Rooster.

1 Like

And btw I am fully for clubs being controlled by fans because I am a Liverpool supporter even if we get relegated. Football success was never the main criteria for me, the history and the ethos of the club and what it inspired is more important to me. But yet today Liverpool FC is what it is, I am not going to stop supporting just because it has a huge focus on financials. Similarly, RB is going against the grain of what is commonly accepted and that is that, can you call it wrong? Nope I just see them wanting to run the club differently.

Manchester City, PSG etc are going against the grain of what is commonly accepted and that is that, can you call it wrong? Just wanting to run their clubs differently.
Que sera, sera…

4 Likes

So any club that want to run the club differently will be equated to Man City and PSG?

Excellent counter…
I think I’ve made my point. No telling anyone what to ultimately think about former manager’s decision or Red Bull, make up your own mind. Just wanted to explain that the criticism and the thought process behind it goes way beyond a shitty piss drink.

5 Likes

That’s clearly an absurd response.
Obviously there are forces trying to create a situation in which clubs can be bought and sold by the highest bidder, and that will, inevitably, lead to clubs being owned by super rich individuals or entities which are not representative of the fans.

3 Likes

From the outset, Liverpool was a commercial entity. However, they know that their local support is what makes them a going concern and they would be foolish not to take their views into account.

That doesn’t really apply to RB because the sporting ventures are simply ways of promoting their fizzy drink. Quite why they take this approach and not the kind of marketing that, for example, Coca-Cola (a former League Cup sponsor) took, I don’t know.

I’m just curious as to why Klopp took this role. It’s great from RB’s perspective but it has really sullied Klopp’s reputation. My guess is that he is being lined up to become the German national coach, but why the DFB didn’t offer him a post where he could work with club coaches, I don’t know. Maybe it is just the money.

4 Likes

He hardly needs the money though, does he?

4 Likes

That dentist he and Bobby use must be bloody expensive.

9 Likes

I mean he didn’t really need the money from the adverts either. I haven’t seen him on one for a while.

2 Likes

He hardly needs pyramid scheme money either, but that hasn’t stopped him.

1 Like

Fair enough, I am not trying to argue for the sake of it but maybe from my point of view, I am not as passionate as you on the matter.

Jürgen Klopp commercials collection over the years
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3PlYaBH8MrwkzEMVXYLSsMm0SIfqKAf4&si=_vE062J51i0QUHdu

3 Likes

Just checking that we’re all aware our club was founded by a Brewing Entrepreneur, following a financial dispute with Anfield’s then tennants, Everton.

3 Likes

Yes. Which is why this is largely a German debate. I can fully appreciate that the controversy might seem a bit overblown and hypocritical from e.g. an English or an American perspective at first.
What I have trouble wrapping my head around is why it is difficult to understand for Liverpool fans, with all that has been going on with City, Newcastle and the likes and the obvious grievances, that people from another country don’t want their home leagues do go down that same road, even more so when there are different traditions and rules in place to prevent that are actively being underminded.
But yes, Austrian piss drink licence marketing company (they don’t even brew that shit themselves) with dubious relations to extreme right wingers that they give a platform through their TV channel in two countries is not the red line for many, I can understand that.

12 Likes

I’m not engaged in this debate - even if I am a bit disappointed that Klopp chose RB empire for reasons that you’ve already outlined - but I have to state that for someone who doesn’t live in Germany/Austria and can’t speak German, this kind of info is not easy to obtain.

Energy drinks should be forbidden, though, even though I find their cartoon commercials nice.

4 Likes

bit dissappointed Klopp took the role, ultimately its his life and his choice and he doesnt need my approval, but just like Rafa going to Everton, i just think ‘why?’

in both circumstances you could say;

‘he has enough money, earnt enough Kudos and has enough credit, the sporting side of the challenge is negligable, so whats the point?..just why?’

for Klopp to ‘oversee’ a few clubs, it just feels too lazy for the guy…to easy…i cant imagine him being successful at it becuase its just a diplomatic role, theres no intense pressure…its all a bit meh…

so becuase the role is meh, and the clubs are kinda not in sync with the football culture…why bother?

its weird.

i could have seen him turning up for a national team role, i get that Mainz might not have been an attrative enough deal to go back to, but some kind of other club similar to dortmund or LFC…

its just not a role i associate with Klopp…its not hands on enough…not nitty gritty…its not a muddy pitch in the rain type role…i cant see it getting the juices flowing.

4 Likes

I haven’t followed the details but my impression was that he is lined up to take on the National team role once it becomes available. I also assumed this role was about him developing a better understanding of what is going on in other countries/ teams and that he would then use that learning to Germany’s benefit.

LFC obviously have a close relationship with RB, and their set up appears quite professional in identifying and developing players so it wouldn’t be a surprise to think someone could learn from them.

I think Klopp has always talked about being a pundit again when he got older, and we’ve seen from interviews or guest spots on football shows he loves discussing the game - I can imagine that this project might be something he can get his teeth into (unless I have misunderstood what the role actually involves).

2 Likes

I couldn’t care less what he does now he isn’t at our club.

Obviously I care enough to let people know that I don’t care though :roll_eyes:

2 Likes