Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool Legend

I know.

1 Like

The way he has treated Milner is an indication of how he’ll treat Hendo in the near future imo. Millie was a key player when Klopp came in, then progressively became a first team player, occasionally rotated with others, then a squad player, and is now a back-up with presumably an increasing influence in the dressing room, like a player-coach.

As a result, the relationship between the two of them has remained brilliant throughout the different stages, and both deserve credit for it. I expect Hendo to follow suit. Millie served as blueprint here.

Of course, players with bigger egos, strikers for instance, might not accept as easily that evolution (the length of discussions about Mo’s contract maybe shows that), but look at Bobby for instance. There is no indication of him becoming unhappy. And yet, he’s gradually moved towards the status of a squad player as we speak. Recent injuries have played their role in this, but still…

Obviously, the general atmosphere Klopp has built at the club, where the collective is always more important than individuals, pays now dividends for that kind of gradual transition.

4 Likes

It’s a good model, but it’s a lot easier when it’s one player. When there are multiple players being phased out it’s harder to keep them all feeling important, especially when they don’t start off with Milner’s behind the scenes importance. I think the reality is moving forward, other than Hendo, the model is going to look far more like Gini than Milner. You’ve got to back to the late 70s early 80s to when we did this well (in terms of the team) and that still resulted in situations where there were years of resentment (Hughes and Thompson). I think Thompson still doesnt speak to Souey.

2 Likes

If anyone can do it Klopp can. He also moved Lallana on with little or no anger shown.

2 Likes

Yeah, there will be situations where individual egos will clash. The good thing though is that Klopp has always said that the door is open: a player isn’t happy? Here is the door. Can and Gini went out the door, it was their choice to leave the club, not Klopp’s, and they were allowed to go without any fuss. They are still friends with Klopp as far as I know. If Salah choses to go, it will likely follow the same pattern.

Klopp is such an open, honest character that it allows everyone to remain cool with each other. His natural respect for the people he works with is obviously contagious.

6 Likes

I’m pretty sure he sees his career out here. I do think he will depart football at 60 (some punditry perhaps), I think all being well he will extend again. Regardless it was the best Liverpool news outside of a trophy win.

8 Likes

:joy:

10 Likes

I think he’d like to manager Germany before he’s done, but otherwise I agree. I don’t see him going to another club.

1 Like

I can’t see Klopp managing an international team but yeah it gives Flick 4 years with the national team now and the World Cup in 2026, so maybe that’s what he is looking at.

Guess we will see but 4 years is far better than 2 even if it is that, I do think he will retire at 60 though if he does international that’s semi retirement

4 Likes

Damn - you beat me to it ,posting this gem first :rofl:

Endboss

3 Likes

I didn’t get the chance to watch this before today, but it’s great, just great to have Kloppo in charge.

Ulla, thank you so much for wanting to stay at Liverpool beyond 2024. Kloppo, cheers mate, so made up for you and us all! :+1:

6 Likes

Just realised it’s four more seasons after this one :smile:

7 Likes

:+1:

19 Likes

Yeah saw that. In fairness it was mentioned to him as part of a question, and Klopp looked like he was thinking not the time to bring that up but once it was, gentleman that he is, he said well done to Nat. Hopefully Bournemouth now have the cash to buy him for a fair fee!

8 Likes

Bournemouth have the cash, they are well funded behind the scenes.

6 Likes

(Source)

19 Likes

You’ll never know if it was Klopp’s tactics, or the players not doing what was expected, or Villereal tiring the 2nd etc… It wasn’t working for sure, I’d have loved to have been a fly on the wall in the dressing room at half time, the result of whatever was shown or said is one of the biggest turn arounds in Klopp’s time here. What a manager he must be to be able to do that, still able to surprise with new ways of loving the big man!

4 Likes

Wonder if she was there last night…

1 Like

We know that Klopp likes to keep these sorts of things simple so they’re easy to digest, and the Athletic are reporting that he asked Krawietz to find him just one example of a sequence from the first half they executed properly he could show them to reinforce what to do in the second half. He was allegedly told there was not one. I’m guessing he had something else to fall back on other than showing them his underpants and bringing on Diaz, but I’ll be fucked if I know what :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

my guess was the change to the front three. Jota doesn’t track back like Bobby and Mane do, he’s a different style player. Once we got Sadio in the False9 and Diaz out left, fortunes changed a little bit.

I’d love to re-watch the game, I was still working at the time so I missed a lot of the stuff I’d normally be looking for, like when their players tuck inside to create overloads or 2v1’s with cutting passing lanes

3 Likes