Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool Legend

I had a chat with a friend who works in this area, he suggested that they could effectively start playing too early and look lethargic as you’ve skipped a section of your fitness.

Good news is he suggested that can level out over time, so you start to look like you’ve improved but effectively the fitness has caught up. He did suggest it probably doesn’t come with playing mind.

2 Likes

He was great for the last few months of last season. Definitely struggling this year

fatigue isn’t just physical. I never said anything about it being physical.

That said, they’re only playing football. it’s not like they’re performing life-saving surgerical procedures on babies.

Is it that far apart in terms of how fatigue affects their ability to deliver though?

1 Like

I guess the big question here is how does Klopp “reinvent” a team that’s both mentally damaged/fatigued call it what you want from losing the Prem on the final day to subsequently losing the CL final and physically spent from being together for the last 4-5 seasons with the high intensity they put in every day in training and every time they take to the pitch?

You drop under performing players and let them prove themselves again.

When Konate is back I’d be letting Virgil have some time on the sidelines, he’s a big part of our problem… For our leader at the back we look utterly devoid of any…

1 Like

Whilst I do agree to an extent…so go into the next game with the u21s + Alisson and Diaz? Maybe Thiago is he’s fit.

5 Likes

It’s clear that Klopp and the boys were really gutted by the PL and CL finale. As I keep saying, to go again and try and come from behind with the likelihood of falling short again is just too big an ask. If we were to win this season, we needed to start like 9-1-0 then beat cheaty and actually get a clear lead out in front. Instead I think the team is now mentally exhausted as the knowledge the PL is gone means they will be unable to maintain the intensity they had last season.

1 Like

These calls in the first ten games of “team such and such is finished and are out of the race” always comes back to bite you. The clubs most times turn it around.

We are 5 points behind City. That gap is nothing with 32 games to go and can easily be closed, even with the frontrunner being City. The main problem is that we still appear to be sinking rather than turning this form around. We can’t keep opening there gap. I really hope the Napoli game was the final straw that sees some drastic action from Klopp.

10 Likes

:sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Yikes. That pre-match presser does not inspire confidence. I have never seen him that negative. Fuuuuccckkk. You can say ‘he’s lit a fire under them’ or anything else related to whipping them into shape, but I am a little scared about Ajax and just how long we are going to be in this state just by the way he is speaking.

He wasn’t talking as if “ah-ha this and this happened. The solution is this!”. I’m getting the impression there really is a hunger issue with the players.

:worried:

I’m getting more that he is serious those ones he did when we had that shit run were as angry.

He isn’t going give much away I don’t think on what he has done. It might be the best thing to happen to us this prolonged spell of nothing.

If nothing else it’s given Arthur more time to work with us, finish some pre season stuff off and give Thiago, Jota and Matip more time to get up to speed.

We only have to defend more competently and we prevent Napoli from scoring at least 2.

3 Likes

It reminded me of the 4-1 smashing we got from Spurs, Klopp was ruthless after that. Lovren was done here etc.

Sometimes it takes such a beating for him to cut the loyalty to some players, I expect the same here.

He seems angry, like properly angry at the team for playing as individuals instead of as a team which he needs to be, that’s basic stuff.

1 Like

That’s not how I remember Lovren. That Spurs game was at the start of the 17-18 season. Lovren remains at LFC for another near three seasons including that one, and contributes towards the champions league and the league titles.

When he gets hooked at half time, my reaction was that he was done and we wouldn’t see him in a red shirt again. There might have been a bit of wishful thinking on my part, because I always thought he was a poor player.

2 Likes

Not sure about that, we actively tried to sell him every window following that, he was no longer a starting defender… Injures meant he came back into the team but his chance was gone in that game.

That’s a good example of why we sometimes struggle under FSG, if that was City he’d have been sold at a loss and we’d have paid big money for a defender Klopp wanted. FSG won’t do that so Klopp had to make do.

1 Like

I’m not sure we tried to sell him. If I recall correctly, we even kept him for one extra season despite him having an agreement with Jürgen that he could leave, just so we could have cover for that season (I think this was 2019-20). However, he wanted a starting spot, so out he went in search of that.

He was never a full time starter for us again.

2 Likes

No he wasn’t, and given that ahead of him was Gomez and Matip, it’s not surprising. But to suggest that we actively tried to sell him I think is incorrect.