Leicester, the Foxes thread

Leicester have been pretty shit. They’ve lost 12 games this season.

The media love them for some reason. I think its because they are desperate for a British manager to do well.

I’m gutted that they didn’t beat Spurs though as I would’ve loved Chelsea to miss out.

Mixed emotions here. On a human level, a big part of me feels terrible for them not just for missing out but for the brutal way it played out. AGAIN. I think this is now just 4 match days they’ve spend outside of the top 4 the past 2 seasons, 50% of which were at the end of the final game.

But, when you see how shitty their pen was, a part of me smiles at the outcome, especially one produced in part by conceding a dodgy third goal with a bizarrely overlooked handball.

1 Like
1 Like

I think overall it’s still a brilliant season for them.

It’s only their 5th(!) trophy in their history and EL football.

For a good part of the season I found them surprising in the top 4. Didn’t create a lot of chances, especially in the first part of the season. But defensively solid and very effective up top, especially on counter attacks and in finishing.

Yeah, it leaves a little sour taste the way they “lost” the top 4 spot, but overall I’d say they can only be pleased. Their goal is to slightly disrupt the top 6 and they managed that in the last 2 seasons.

2 Likes

I think they need to look long term in regards Vardy, the rest of the side seems ok (maybe defence needs improving), the loss of Evans and Barnes did for them I feel in the end.

Once our second went in I couldn’t give a shit about the other games, Chelsea were 2-1 down and I think this was 2-2.

No chance Leicester were scoring 4 or 5 goals yesterday, like some thought they could, they were drained after the cup final.

2 Likes

Minus Schmeichel and Vardy, and maybe a few other I’m forgetting about.

6 Likes

Maddison is a bit of a prick, think he is a decent player but his Covid antics have been a disgrace and the party he held which led to Rodgers having to drop them and them losing a few weeks back now looks utterly crucial.

Utterly dumb

9 Likes

He’s another David Bentley - flashes of brilliance but can’t do it week in week out, more worried about his social life, football career never goes full potential.

6 Likes

If you’d offered their fans the FA cup at the beginning of the season I doubt they’d have refused.

8 Likes

Exactly! Thank you for reminding me. I had to snap out of whatever emotional spot I was in, and I was just momentarily blinded for my distaste of Chelsea that I had to remember how I REALLY feel about Leicester. I feel sorry for BR. His players are entitled, self absorbed babies.

5 Likes

I’m not being harsh to Rodgers or the players, but I think this is their level. They have a bunch of good players but not any depth. So when the crunch came they were laid bare and Rodgers don’t have the tactical or motivational skills, yet, to go beyond their limits.

Forget everything else and two consecutive fifth-place finish is very admirable for a club of their stature.

And oh, thanks for ruining Chelsea’s cup ambition.

2 Likes

Thiago Alcantara

6 Likes

Would have much preferred it was chelsea but it’s happened again it’s happened again to Rodgers and Leicester. :smiley:

The table finished exactly as I hoped it would. And while it’s harsh on Leicester, and they are a much more likeable club than Chelsea, the rational part of my Brain doesn’t want them cracking top four.

Chelsea already have shit loads of money and can/will just bulldoze their way back in if they miss out. So I’d prefer Leicester not to get a £60m windfall, given I think they’d spend it shrewdly and make it count.

2 Likes

It’s hard not to have some admiration for them. Being from Leicester and having a lot of friends support them I generally hope they do well provided it doesn’t adversely affect us.

I think they’re a bit of a media darling and probably quite deserving of the positive attention they get. The unbelievable league win, the accident that killed the chairman, the most recent challengers to the dominant clubs and not being caught up in the super league.

As a club they do great things for the fans and the city. Free beer before the final game, gifts sent to season ticket holders before the FA Cup Final, and what I think was a £2m donation to help build the new children’s A&E. Plus they’ve invested in an amazing training facility.

It’s the kind of success the likes of Everton or West Ham or any number of middling clubs could only dream of and the media have been waiting decades to see.

They’re a good club. Rodgers is a good manager and they have a really really good squad for the size of club and finances they have. They’re not great and friends get very annoyed that the “big six” chat doesn’t include them but another season or two of being up there and they’ll have to be considered part of the elite group because it sure as shit looks like Spurs and Arsenal aren’t catching them any time soon.

9 Likes

Leicester were never going far in the Champions league anyway, so 5th and the FA Cup is better than 4th and no Cup for them.

But let’s face it, they imploded on the run in. This is as good as it gets for them.

1 Like

Yeah, harsh for them. I too would have preferred them to get fourth rather than Chelsea. But at the end of the day, they had put themselves into a brilliant situation before totally imploding towards the end. Injuries played their part there to be fair, and that’s where a sugar-daddy club like Chelsea had an unfair advantage over a ‘normal’ club like Leicester. Injuries don’t affect them as much.

Harsh for them to miss out two times in these circumstances, but in the grand scheme of things, there’s nothing to be unhappy about for them. Two times fifth in a row, and now a FA Cup too, is a good achievement for this club.

4 Likes

There’s a reason the most important judgment comes after you’ve played everyone twice, and not at some earlier point when you’ve been able to stack your record against lower table sides. To a significant degree, their end of season should be seen as an equalizing matter rather than just a collapse. It’s why so many people months ago pointed to their run and said “ooofff, they’re fucked.”

to the degree that they didnt help themselves though, it has to be acknowledged that they simply dont have the experience of having to get results in “big games” back to back. That’s not just a talent thing, but an emotional regulation thing. The reaction of the side after the Utd win looked like a side who didnt quite get the emotional toil of playing 4 cup finals in 4 games.

4 Likes

It’s pretty clear that BR’s envelopes/character approach doesn’t work as well as Klopp’s mentality monsters approach.

Brodge has done great things at Leicester, and did well at Celtic (with no real competition), but he’s also been at the end of a number of season ending collapses, including our own (which was in large parts down to Hendo’s red card imo).

Combination of bad luck and not being mentally in the fight have cost Leicester. Will be interesting to see how Rodgers goes about sorting out his striking options as Vardy will only continue to decline (but still be very important), but they need a 25 goal a season striker. Iheanacho has the attrubute but has streaky form.

Maybe big Div can do the damage there? Taki. Can have either for £20m.

1 Like

After watching Iheanacho, I think Origi would do well in Leicester. But he has to stop sleep-walking during the games.