LFC Sporting Director thread

I guess we could remove Schmadtke from the thread name.

On Edwards, yeah, I hope the club doesn’t become too desperate or naive. There’s always a limit how much power and responsibility you give to someone, without pretending they should all be equals jobs wise.

Maybe Edwards himself isn’t really sure about the immediate future at Liverpool after Klopp.

Are we also aware that at some point we have to… appoint… new… people?

Who don’t necessarily have a previous different role at the club, who are not named Julian Ward or Michael Edwards? Apart from Klopp’s good old pal Jorg for 6 months?

This dragged on too much, I’m actually more interested in what our alternatives are and can we find the right combination with new people.

2 Likes

There was stuff in early February about FSG having another think about a multi-club model. They might try and tempt Edwards with that, because although he doesn’t want to be tied to one club, which technically he wouldn’t, he’d be tied to FSG.

It still doesn’t answer who will be our Sporting Director going forward, either.

Who are the top SD’s around?

I’d love Edwards but similar to Caicedo (I know…) if he isn’t interested don’t force it.

I’d like something like a multi club system (as modern and soulless as it sounds and shouldn’t be allowed really). Think it could work well. We have kind of tapped into the Red Bull network with Leipzig and Salzburg.

Hope we stick at a buy cheapish model. Was not a fan of us bidding 114 million for Caicedo. Didn’t sit right !! Although splashing the cash when required is good (VVD, Ali)

Not sure we need to go that drastic just yet. I think a happy medium to be maybe a Godfather type reminder of who we are.

the simpsons animation GIF

Sounds like Edwards has named his terms, sort of what I hinted above about being tied to FSG, rather than one club. Possibly take on more of Gordon’s role or take his role altogether.

https://twitter.com/RorySmith/status/1762810738865832222

I believe the Red Sox just brought back one of their previously successful General Managers and made him a part owner in order to do so. They obviously have a model to try and get a deal like this done.

3 Likes

If it is Edwards, good. He knows what he is doing. It will be a high level position, and the DOF and everyone else will be under him, and he will have latitude throughout the FSG group.

Paul Mitchell?
Tim Steidten?

My money would be on one of those two being signed up asap as DOF under Edwards, and then the other positions to fall into place rapidly.

Looks like we are giving it one last try with Edwards, not as DOF but higher up in the group. He might like to wet his beak on that, and if he does come back, it is indicative of healthy relationships, which is crucial.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/AnfieldSector/status/1762829243925311754

https://twitter.com/AnfieldSector/status/1762829651972673879

1 Like

https://twitter.com/AnfieldSector/status/1762826388472520785

1 Like

https://twitter.com/AnfieldSector/status/1762825491772231811

1 Like

i think this is happening

This aged well.

https://twitter.com/AnfieldSector/status/1762833183559590220

1 Like

Joyce:

Michael Edwards would seek total control of football operations at Liverpool in order to consider coming back to Anfield less than two years after his departure.

Liverpool’s owner, Fenway Sports Group, is set to make one final attempt to persuade their former sporting director to return to the club as part of the post-Jürgen Klopp era.

Edwards, who quit in 2022 after a decade at the club in order to take a break from football, has already turned down one approach from FSG since Klopp told them he was standing down at the end of the season.

There has been no sense that Edwards has been ready to return to football’s coalface, having rejected a number of approaches from other clubs including Chelsea.

Indeed, it would take something significant to turn the head of Edwards, who is a consultant in Ludonautics, the sports advisory business launched last year by Ian Graham, who was Liverpool’s director of research between 2012 and 2023.

FSG’s search for a permanent sporting director has been ongoing since Julian Ward, Edwards’ replacement, stood down in the summer of 2023, with Jörg Schmadtke only a stop-gap. Schmadtke left at the end of January.

There is a realisation at FSG that the profile of the sporting director they were looking for and what they now need has changed. Previously, they were seeking someone to facilitate the needs of Klopp, but now that he is leaving there is a demand for someone to take charge of the whole club during what will be a period of transition. FSG will hope that would appeal to Edwards.

Edwards was viewed by FSG as one of the architects of Liverpool’s renaissance under Klopp with his canny dealings in the transfer market — both in terms of signings and sales — crucial to success at home and abroad.

The fact that FSG, who are holding a partners summit this week in the United States, keep on returning to him also highlights they are unconvinced by other candidates.

It is unusual for FSG’s plans to leak at a time when they are trying to reshape Liverpool with the appointment of a sporting director and Klopp’s successor.

The Bayer Leverkusen head coach Xabi Alonso is the frontrunner although FSG are also likely to interview Rúben Amorim, the Sporting Lisbon coach.

In addition, no meaningful contract talks with players such as Virgil van Dijk, Trent Alexander-Arnold and Mohamed Salah, who will all have one year remaining on their deals in the summer, are likely to take place until the appointment of a sporting director.

need sub to read

2 Likes

Is this request for control over football matters coded language for ‘I don’t want another Jordan Henderson situation?’

2 Likes

The Times nicking stories from ‘Anfield Sector’

Jabu you are fucking on this my man, top marks.

Expecting to see another 72 headlines within the hour!!!

Jabbu-dabba-doo!