LFC Sporting Director thread

probably just that…

all kidding aside. The stakes are high when Klopp leaves and he is taking a risk coming back, so if he is going to rebuild, he wants to have enough say on the decisions… which i think is fair for a person in his position.

2 Likes

Probably most of that bar kit design which is more operations

I half wonder if there was a little friction between Edwards and Klopp, and Edwards stepped away? In the early to mid part of their time together, both men did brilliantly and it worked in concert. But then toward the end of Edward’s time at Liverpool, maybe Klopp overruled him on some things, and given Jurgen’s stature, it was understandable. An educated guess makes us think it might have been to do with loyalty to senior players, and arguably Edwards was more prepared to cut them loose, or offer lesser terms, but for Jurgen they were still key men/top dogs?

Speculative, and maybe unhelpful, but if it did go down like that, no wonder Edwards is now trying to establish full control before he says yes.

It might yet all work out splendidly.

Edwards at the helm over football operations. Maybe with a very small holding in the FSG group too. Mike Gordon to vacate this role - he is wealthy and doesn’t need it, but I got the sense that he stepped in very well as a buffer, because he was the most knowledgeable owner. Obviously Edwards has more knowledge and there would be no need for Gordon to be hands on any more, and that probably suits him.

Edwards to hire a new DOF. I hope Mitchell or Steidten.

New DOF and Edwards to hire the manager and all the coaching team, we all hope it is Alonso.

Alonso to come in and be very happy with the arrangement, as above everything else, he is a coach, and has big ideas about how he wants the team to be set up and to play. He is held in such respect that he obviously has key input into recruitment, and the DOF would get to work on targets and so on, all backed up by the stattos, in a healthy collaborative effort.

All under the watchful gaze of Michael Edwards.

Bring it on.

7 Likes

I genuinely think he just got to a stage where he had been in that role 10 years.

2 Likes

If we manage to bring Edwards back it would make me feel a little better about the future after Klopp.

6 Likes

Me too

I don’t understand how it’s so hard to comprehend that sometimes people just need a change in scenery…

1 Like

I thought it is not always good to go to a place you left. Sometimes, it is never the same.

1 Like

The news regarding Edwards potentially coming does and some credence to the story at the time that he was feeling a bit aggrieved at the power dynamics shifting at the club.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/AnfieldEdition/status/1762895773933384102

Change the title :wink:

1 Like

https://x.com/fabrizioromano/status/1762904598384185407?s=46&t=aLG9ncyUrtZ-QtZv0kz6SQ

2 Likes

He said “boy”!

The “take offence on others’ behalf” police will be here soon.

2 Likes

Yeah, he was very much the Sox’s Edwards. The GM who put their couple of world series winning sides together. He left and did the same the Cubs in a bigger role as GM and VP of baseball operations. He’s now come back to FSG (rather than the Sox itself) and was reported that he is going to be basically the GM of the various GMs under the FSG umbrella. In terms of Edwards, I think it’s difficult to see him coming back in a capacity that reports to him, but if they want him enough there is surely some structure that can accommodate the two of them.

What is an interesting possibility and one that he might find more interesting that pure football stuff is that Henry and Warner are not young guys and there has been some talk of succession planning in FSG itself. You could potentially see some plan put in place where Gordon steps up and roles are carved out for Edwards and Epstein to oversee the sporting part of the two parts of the sports business.

That is completely made up, but if there was something like this in the works it would raise the question of how broad Edwards’ responsibility would be and if it would still need someone full time at Liverpool to replace Joel in the SD role.

1 Like

They were beaten to it by the offense being taken by the offense being taken on other’s behalf police.

3 Likes

Meh. Not for me.

https://x.com/transfersector/status/1765058402529554675?s=46&t=aLG9ncyUrtZ-QtZv0kz6SQ

That’s a huge news.

He’s been linked with Roma, so not necessarily a shoe-in for the Sporting Director role, despite his links to Edwards.

Perhaps he is off to join that business Edwards is involved in, they’re stealing all the Sporting Directors
:rofl: