LFC Sporting Director thread

Where’s is the lean :thinking:

Presumably he will be in the conversation to hire a new manager, while obviously not spearheading it as he’s not starting until the summer.

Edwards will presumably do all that, but I’m sure Hughes will be fully on board with the direction it takes.

3 Likes

Edwards technically isnt starting until June either. So I think “technically” is doing a lot of work for both appointments

1 Like

I assume they will be doing something.

Yes, they will both be starting in earnest. The contract end date is a technicality with current employers of both men incentivized to finish the hand off as soon as possible for their own purposes. Edwards’ out with his company should be relatively straight forward given he was only a consultant, and Bournmouth have known for a while that Hughes would be leaving and so will already be well in advance of their own transition.

1 Like

Hopefully it all culminates in Xabi Alonso and we go from strength to strength. Like all reds I’m intrigued as to how it will all work out. Adding a second club means there will be plenty for Edwards to do with a wider remit. And we know he works well with Hughes, so alignment there will be crucial.

1 Like

Welcome on board Hughsey.

First assignment in charge come the summer will be to hijack Mbappe’s move to Madrid, good luck!!

Or just find another Wataru Endo-san. I don’t know you but I have every faith in you!!

At last, an utterly important job at the club is filled again. Schmadtke was a temporary gap-filler, but this appointment is hopefully a long-term one.

Can’t tell how competent Hughes is, but he seems to be trusted by Gordon and Edwards, and that’s largely good enough for me. Time will tell how well he does for us, but if the manager position can be convincingly filled, he should be in a good position to do so (probably Gordon still the main man to do that crucial job, but he’ll of course involve Edwards and Hughes).

1 Like

One of the interesting tidbits being reported now is that Hughes was actively interested in several of our lesser profile successful signings and so I think the dots to connect are that Edwards long ago identified him as someone who seems to share not just his philosophy but comes to similar conclusions to him when applying it.

2 Likes

Glad to see FSG once got the wheel going and focused on who they want, everything fell into place very fast. I would expect an announcement on the manager by the end of April especially if it is Alonso, I don’t expect any announcement until earliest end April simply because if Bayer can keep up their current pace, they will wrap up the league by the end of April looking at the gap they have now.

4 Likes
2 Likes

Ah, so that’s the dance move Edwards was trying to learn

https://x.com/anfieldsector/status/1770799363461198292?s=46&t=aLG9ncyUrtZ-QtZv0kz6SQ

Let’s relax with all the Bournemouth staff Michael.

Not exactly the beacons of transfer deals!

3 Likes

Yeah but Edwards sold them all remember :wink:

To be fair their signings since they came back up have been better than they were when they went down.

1 Like

Impossible to know now who was in charge then and in what capacity in all decisions before they went down, but I do remember looking at a lot of Bournemouth’s incoming transfers at the time and thinking no wonder they went down. Some horrible business. I guess they then realized they have to change or introduce a lot of things, seeing as they were/are a really small club.

1 Like

Yup, I know they made some decent business just before they came up they had to in a way they were slipping and I have no doubt they would have faced some penalties if they hadn’t come up.

Though I think that is for a lot of teams, surprised Leicester are in that book considering it’s only been a season. Usually the impact is 2-3 seasons down there.

They’ve also aimed very young at Bournemouth so not all those players have paid off yet. Nevertheless Zabarnyi looks a good signing, Senesi has done well, Kerkez can be exciting, Alex Scott is a very promising player while Semenyo and Outtara have been good attackers.

3 Likes

It should also be said that Solanke, while expensive at the time, has turned out to be a solid striker for them now, also this season in the PL. It took a while though.

3 Likes

I hope his nickname isn’t Dick Hugs.