Liverpool FC - Pre-season

When Klopp is here for the last almost 6 years, we can afford to give them a little more rest, compared to some other coaches who have much more work to do. Pep did something amazing at the start of last season when he diminished the amount of training to keep them more fresh, relying on the knowledge and experience they gathered in all these years before. Maybe we judge these extra 10 days or so as a little advantage for us. Give the team a breather, not a lot of changes in our squad, but when they all get back, bring back our basics along with the injured CB’s.

9 Likes

About 20 lads had 7 weeks vacation :crazy_face::sunglasses:

I’m not concerned, our guys need the rest more than they need friendlies against league 1 and 2 sides.

Agreed. Most of these players have trained and played together for years and have great understanding of each other and of Klopp’s strategies. So few weeks training should be enough for any fine tuning.

True. Besides the players who need a bit rigorous training (Tsimikas, Takumi, VVD, Konate) will be in training from the beginning. That’s why I wanted all our incomings sorted by June.

The other thing to consider is players base level of fitness is a lot higher these days, so the start of preseason is no longer about getting the fitness levels up, and I would be very surprised if any player in the top 2-3 divisions would be needing the old bin liner trick these days.

Preseasons are more about generating revenues than players’ fitness now. Without COVID restrictions and/or Euro & Copa there would have been a flurry of intercontinental tours.

1 Like

Some big names in there. Let’s hope they can all stay fit.

5 Likes

We can field a proper defense with

TAA-KonatĂŠ-van Dijk-Tsimikas

In the first friendly’s

1 Like

We can basically make 3 XI’s with that list, though we have some CB’s and GK’s to spare. But around 3 teams.

I guess we have our senior first two XI’s and then another one made up of players who will leave anyway (still be part of us bringing them to match fitness and “show” them on the pitch) and rewarding some of our best talents who merited it most.

Will be interesting to see who shares minutes at holding midfield, with all of Hendo, Fabinho and Thiago still out. Probably shared between the likes of Milner, Clarkson, possibly Grujic before he’s sold. Could flip to a double pivot as well in some periods to give that one a go also.

What’s TAA’s injury status?

1 Like

Really surprised Balagizi isn’t included considering some of the u18 lads that are going.

1 Like

Disappointed that James Balagizi is not travelling. Looks to be one of the best prospects we have to me.

Seems he is injured . Look forward to seeing him back soon.

1 Like

It makes complete sense to not play any friendlies in the UK right now. With huge case numbers here its a massive massive risk just before the season starts of players needing to self isolate if playing against lower opposition that probably don’t have such a rigorous covid testing process.

1 Like

So who’s joining the pre-season late?

Henderson, Thiago, Robbo, Jota, Fab, Firmino, Ali, Shaq, Neco, and Harry W?

Good, he should be fit on Monday

This is why Balagizi isn’t with them unfortunately

1 Like

Picks up a few knocks him :frowning:

You make an excellent point.

Javid has already predicted a 100k a week when the PL kicks off so I don’t have any doubts it will be much lower. Players will still have isolate not to mention long Covid.

Probably best to be secluded in a training camp in Austria for long as possible.

Apart from Hendo, who else is missing pre-season training?

1 Like

Thiago, Jota, Robertson, Shaqiri, Neco, Wilson, Alisson, Fabinho, Firmino

1 Like