Liverpool FC - Pre-season

Called jerseys in Ireland.

3 Likes

That’s where I’m from. Everyone I know called them jerseys. In Korea where I am now football jerseys are the saying

1 Like

Just adding my two pence to discussion, iv always referred to them as ‘Tops’. So in my youth I would say to my mate, have you got the new top.
Nowadays, being honest, I rarely buy the Top or Kit. Its just something I don’t do. If anything I pay more attention to the training range.

2 Likes

Just to add my 2 pence. The correct term is shirt, although kit or top are acceptable.

Jersey is a place in USA guilty of giving the world some really shite reality tv

3 Likes

A jersey is a knitted garment made of wool or cotton.

Some people use it for sports clothing unfortunately.

2 Likes

Always been a ‘top’ here. E.g. “I’m going to get the kid the new Liverpool top here”. “No, they’re a waste of money”. Argument ensues

1 Like

In the Netherlands, we use shirts or football shirts.

A top is a very small piece of women’s clothing that shows their belly’s, unfortunately often the woman who should ‘hide’ that belly wears them. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

They’re shirts, kit (should really refer to the whole strip as in “full kit wanker”) and top/t-shirt (what the article of clothing would be called if non sports related) are acceptable. Not jerseys. That’s more American sports and to do with bigger baseball jerseys or even the huge poncho like things you wear in American Football (handegg) to stretch over the body armour.

They’re jerseys not tops. A top is something you wear doing anything but play football.

But it seems it all depends where you are from doesn’t it. The official online shop calls them a kit. A kit to me implies the whole shebang, jersey, shorts and socks.

In our culture, tops are feminine garments.

:blush:

2 Likes

Have you seen the new Liverpool shirt?

• Yes

Have you seen the new Liverpool top?

• Yes, and I guess you either grew up in the 80s or are currently under the age of 10?

Have you seen the new Liverpool kit?

• I’ve seen the shirt, but not the shorts or socks.

Have you seen the new Liverpool jersey?

• Yes, and which state are you from?
8 Likes

Sums it up nicely.

Now, how about Aussies and their guernseys… :thinking:

1 Like

Don’t worry wear I’m from we called them tops, where I live we call them maillots. It really shouldn’t be a problem though I would expect maillots not being very well understood in the anglo-saxon world Jersey, shirts and tops all are acceptable imo. :smiley:

I see @Lynch04 beat me to it. I just felt so strongly about it i couldn’t spend 2 secs to look at the replies. :grin:

2 Likes

Perfect summary. I tick the 80s box

1 Like

Yeah, but you live in France … :laughing:

Yes, they’re my favourite soccer team

1 Like

Liverpool Jersey, is that like Paris France?

All I can say is I like the sound of Liverpool Top!

2 Likes

Ok Jersey heads - try inserting your word into these sentences:

He got a yellow card for shirt/jersey pulling.

I’m proud to play for the shirt/jersey.

They swapped shirts/jerseys after the game.

I’m all for adopting Maillots (which I presume is pronounced ‘mayos’) as a compromise.

Maybe we need a kit thread.

We are really bored, aren’t we? :cry:

6 Likes