Liverpool Pre- and Midseason 2022-23

I did not see one minute of the match, I was working late tonight, but from reading Reddit, sounds Bajcetic has another excellent showing. Again, I didn’t see any of the match but the general consensus is he’s some player already at 17.

1 Like

How did Nunez play? Only seen first 20. Bajectic looks like he’s the new Morton. How did the main senior lads play?

Played the last thirty with a normal XI, minus Alisson. Thought they looked sharp and ready. It was backs to the wall for Salzburg at the end, good excercise in playing attack vs defence.

Didn’t create many clear chances, but good tendencies. The counter press seemed to be on point; pretty good structure in possession and good intensity in the press; managed to lock them in.

1 Like

Never saw the game but I rate Curtis. He is a good young player, and has done very well to play the games he has for us so far, especially when you consider the level of the team. It remains to be seen if he kicks on and becomes more of a regular. After this coming season we will know more on that.

2 Likes

Jones is a decent young player, his ball retention and ball carrying are good. Needs to work on when he actually releases the ball, but apart from that a decent young player.

Doubt he’ll be truly world class but theres definitely a long term place for him in our midfield, especially if he gets better with making his final pass.

5 Likes

Even if it’s only a squad role at his peak. To be a squad player at our club is some skill and some career level to be at.

In all seriousness it is a very difficult and unfair thing to do - judge a player based upon pre season.

Playing with youth team players and other fringe players is very different to playing with world class already been there and done it stars!

It would be like judging konate/gomez playing with 3 squad players + adrian.

You can be made to look less than fabulous by your team mates inexperience or lack of game time.

3 Likes

Curtis. He’s 21 and doing just fine. Big future ahead for him. It’s pre-season FFS and we’re writing off our youngsters already

4 Likes

All good points. In the case of Jones though, I feel it’s still the same thing as it was a couple of years ago: quicker decision making. When to release the ball, when to dribble.

Technically he’s brilliant, physically he doesn’t seem to have any struggles. So I suspect there are some youth football habits he hasn’t been able to get rid of. Maybe haven’t quite discovered what he needs to be at senior level to use his ability as well as he could, it’s probably a difficult balance between doing the right things and not losing his x-factor.

All very marginal. But I think if he has it in him to adjust those things and find the balance, he could be an amazing player.

4 Likes

Are we shitting the bed?

Why are we talking about Jones again? Is someone criticising him?

3 Likes

The usual suspect.

the usual suspects GIF

Have been gone for a minute and have not posted as much, but have enjoyed coming on here and jus reading the posts from the usual suspects. However now that the season is upon us, I have one or two opinions on the current squad. I think our strongest part of the team will be our goalie and defence, hard to find a team in england or even europe with a better 4 CB’s. Our strike force should be good enough once Jota returns and klopp can somewhat shelter nunez as he grows into the team. I will not share my thoughts on Nunez as a player. Our weakest area which is a continuation from last season is our midfield.You take out hendo, thiago, keita and fab, the fall off in quality is substantial. I dont know why we continue to play russian roulette with the midfield. I dont think Curtis, Elliot and fabio are good enough at this time. Hendo is older and has lost a bit of pace, keita and thiago are injury prone and no the OX midfield experiment has failed You lose thiago, the fall off in quality is great. City are in transition this season and this would have been a great opportunity to really push for a 2nd PL title. I do hope we sign a midfield player. But otherwise, its great to be back and lets GO LIVERPOOL!!!

2 Likes

Was Fabio poor today. Really liked him in the other games.

No? Unless you’ve seen someone criticising him then feel free to point it out. It’s a forums….we discuss about players almost everyday but people seem to wet the bed and draw their own wrongful conclusions jumping ahead and not even bothering to read from the start.

To answer you question, yes, I ‘still’ rate Jones. He is a very talented individual, with great technique. Yes, He has flaws in his game but he is young, comes across quite grounded and in my opinion has a high threshold in terms of his ability.
I believe his game is almost caught between two positions, for our style of play and this is something we are working at - This is not an easy process and takes time.
Will he become a regular starter? At the moment I will say no but i believe he has the potential to be.
What are your thoughts? Do you rate him?

1 Like

Weird response.

5 Likes

Watched about 2 mins.
Seen Curtis Jones discussed a lot of Twitter saying he isn’t kicking on, still taking one too many touches etc.
How’s he doing?

Problem is we have way too many ‘expert’ coaches sitting behind a keyboard or tv screen.

9 Likes

Go to click CE5 seating area and then in my basket it pops up with Anfield Road lower :frowning: oh well, it’ll have to do! First time back at Anfield since 2019 so very excited.

2 Likes