Liverpool Season 2022-23

I think we ultimately agree, although maybe about different points. The point I responded to was that FSG are disinterested owners - I disagree with that because I think they are interested and the fact we’ve kept our squad together and invested in Salah’s new deal in particular has shown there is still a commitment to keeping us a competitive squad (even if it hasn’t worked out that way on the pitch this season).

Even if we are preparing to sell, I don’t think the characterisation of FSG as disinterested would have seen the actions from them we have recently. Your point is they want to keep the club’s value maximised - I don’t actually think a short term thing like the squad would effect the value that dramatically (and eitherway FSG will make great profits on their initial investments) but I think you would agree that owners trying to protect value could also not be characterised as disinterested. In fact that would make them seem very interested indeed - even if that interest is not all focused on results.

I just think its a little unfair to ignore the work done on the stadium, training ground and playing squad when criticising them and calling them ‘uninterested’. They’ve dragged this club kicking and screaming into the 21st century. Just a few years before their takeover our ownership didn’t even think about stocking the club store after winning the Champions League! I’m not going to make a big scene about defending billionaires, fuck them ultimately, but this geoup has been good for us. Understand people are upset at recent results but the biggwr picture is the club is set up for the best possible future as a football team and a business.

No one can compete with state sponsored ownership, complaining that FSG are asleep at the wheel because they can’t find £100m every season is really a poor way at reading the state of the game at the moment. Its unsustainable and no group other than some cunt like an Elon Musk buying us is going to make us able to spend at that level. Personally think we lose far more than we gain when/if that day comes.

5 Likes

I agree that they have not been disinterested owners throughout their tenure here. However, I do question whether their interest is currently driven by the success of the club on the pitch or whether it’s driven by their desire to maximize any profit they’d generate if they sold the club.

I think you can make a reasonable argument that there’s a bit of both there. A successful club also raises the value of the club. Investments in Kirkby and Anfield certainly are good for the club and also raises the potential sale price.

The recent reporting regarding their prioritization of debt repayment leads me to believe that there is a desire to clean up the books for a potential buyer, which is why I cannot unequivocally state that they’re currently focused on the long term competitiveness of the club on the pitch.

3 Likes

I’d be inclined to agree with you, but it depends upon how accurate that reporting is.

3 Likes

Players out of the CL squad: Ramsay, Arthur.

New on B list: Bajcetic.

New 3 players in: Keita, Chamberlain, Gakpo.

Ramsey seems to be having a tough time bedding in eh…
EDIT: Ramsay :0)

It’s all lining up for Millie to be here next season.

:sunglasses:

I can imagine it’s especially hard for him when his own fan base can’t get his name right.

not too worried about Ramsay to be honest, he’s getting game time in U21’s instead of sitting on the bench for the senior squad. Where he needs to be right now. We’ll be lucky to get out of R16 so he’s likely been excluded for two games…big deal.

2 Likes

Find it more interesting that Arthur is out but Oxlade-Chamberlain is in, might suggest that he’s a while away from fitness yet…

Probably wrong thread, wrong time to write it, but am I the only one who needs this buying and selling of LFC over n done with, we look and feel like a downward spiral team, we look downhearted, demoralised…pls pls pls get the right people in, praps I’m writing this cause it’s a Friday night…we have a game tomorrow, pls pls pls try n win…we all need a boost…

1 Like

When it comes to this season, my only hope is that there are three PL clubs with less points than us at the end of the season. I knew it would get much worse but I was probably understating it.

2 Likes

Jumping the gun a bit here but under these owners our squad in 2026 will look similar to the squad Roy had all them years ago.

Nat and Sepp at the back, Trent and Robbo living it large. Trusted midfield of Hendo Harvey and Bajcetic and a prolific front 3 in Jones Carvalho and Doak.

I never underestimated how worse it can get with time. Of course we could’ve and can still improve, but this can easily become worse and worse.

Klopp’s Dortmund were rock bottom or bottom 3 through the middle of his last season there.

1 Like

With interest rates high and going higher… for long-term stability, repaying debt may not necessarily be a bad (financial) strategy. Does nothing for the playing squad though…

The clubs with a lot of debt are going to really struggle in a few years if inflation and interest rates don’t get under control.

I’m not sure anyone’s said it but it’s been a crap season so far.

Here’s hoping the barrel does indeed have a bottom.

The season as crap as it is… We should all be grateful for one thing
None of us will be waking up in the morning as James Pearce :0)

If he had any dignity left he’d never show his face or tweet ever again on the club the little condescending fucking nark.

1 Like

:see_no_evil::see_no_evil::joy:

Only 12 more point and we are safe …

I know it’s still early and dependant on European and domestic cup success, but do we know which positions more or less are for EL and Conference next season?

1 Like