Liverpool Season 2022-23

I’d also be very careful with those comparisons with Dortmund, Mainz or whichever interesting stat from his past.

That’s good for media stuff, headlines and imagining catastrophies. It’s probably the people’s need for dramatic explanations for everything.

Is there something about Klopp’s work that maybe with time simply tires players more, both mentally and physically? I don’t know, maybe. It’s one aspect.

First and foremost now, I’d like a run before the WC with our key players fit, let’s see if we can go back to our basics, playing more consistently and go on a run of results.

Perhaps not like before, because the standard is very high, first of all with City who look like they might keep it up for this season still. Like they say, you don’t win a title in autumn but you can lose one, or start losing it. We can still have a successful season.

There are some bad signs, there is also frustration because people have the need to explain everything in one sentence, when it’s probably a combination of different little things.

As more or less a realist usually and not a blind optimist/pesimist, I still have belief in this team.

1 Like

Also, we have already started “the rebuild” or whatever so many seem to think we need. It’s not really noticeable, in large part because we’re not throwing out half the team to do it, but slowly acquiring new parts of the machine and integrating them in.

1 Like

This is what frustrates me the most. Loads of people throwing the toys out of the prams, being really reactionary. I feel like I need to take a leaf out of @cynicaloldgit’s book and take a break from any form of social media.

Realist posts like yours are few and far between (even if I might quibble with your suggestion that City will hold this form for the entire season), and it seems like everyone needs a scapegoat at the moment.

I really hope this is the case. I was left in disbelief at some articles I read this morning - and, trust me, I’m as disheartened as I’ve ever been during Klopp’s time here… It’s almost like people, especially those outside the club, are desperate for Klopp to get sacked, so they are trying to amplify this crisis, throwing everything they can think of at him and his “draining” methods.

Well, those methods turned him into an icon at three clubs and ours is one of them. I think, however, that the only thing he hasn’t managed to achieve so far in his career is to reconstruct any of his winning teams and that’s precisely what he must do now. I feel for him, it’s a shame that we find ourselves in this position after all the hard work that’s been put in.

1 Like

Fun fact.

In the last 4 finals under Klopp, we only scored 1 goal.

Bobby. :sunglasses: :joy:

And the total under Klopp is 8 goals in 9 finals so far.

• Brighton (H) 3-3
  • Rangers (H) 2-0
  • Arsenal (A) 2-3
  • Rangers (A) 7-1
  • Man City (H) 1-0
  • West Ham (H) Wednesday, Oct 19
  • Nottm. Forest (A) Saturday, Oct 22
  • Ajax (A) Wednesday, Oct 26
  • Leeds (H) Saturday, Oct 29
  • Napoli (H) Tuesday, Nov 1
  • Tottenham (A) Sunday, Nov 6
  • Derby (H) Wednesday, Nov 9
  • Southampton (H) Saturday, Nov 12

Baby steps, one game at a time.

Did we win the Arsenal game 2-3 :thinking:

When it rains, it pours!:frowning:.
Diogo Jota out of the World Cup as well.

I hope that this is the season where all the unfinished business from 2020/21 is taken care of, where all the remaining jinxes, “self-fulfilling prophecies”, feel-good stories of our opponents and all that are fulfilled.

• Man United side who have just lost their two opening matches in the most embarrassing fashion completely embarrassing us in front of packed Old Trafford that our lads emptied last year? “check”
  • Pickford keeping a clean sheet while playing his customary only-once-in-a-season-and-that-against-you-know-which-team blinder, with the added bonus of Salah hitting the post in 94th minute at Goodison? “check”
  • The best post-Wenger Arsenal side getting two incorrect penalty decisions to beat the worst Liverpool side in the past five years? “check”
  • On loan Manchester United goalie, who used to drop silly, silly clangers against us, keeping a clean sheet while playing an absolute blinder and thus helping his rock-bottom side to victory? “check”
  • Jesse Lingard celebrating said victory like crazy, with the tongue out, Gene Simmons-style? “check”
  • Former Liverpool striker scoring the winner, helped by a former Liverpool fullback who played a good match, with their team led by a former Liverpool youth coach? “check”
  • Joe Gomez turning into Maldini against Haaland, leading to calls for his reinstatement into England’s World Cup side, only to make a silly, silly mistake that leads to us losing to the bottom placed side the very next week? “check”
  • An injury crisis that eases up, only to lead to an even more serious injury crisis that leaves some 300+ million pounds worth of talent unavailable to Klopp (eight players, no less)? “check”
  • A complete meltdown of a season that follows the season where we narrowly finished second because of a few blatantly incorrect refereeing decisions? “check”
  • A series of stupid, uncalled for mistakes that always lead to opponents’ goals? “check”
  • A torrent of memes from rival fans striking back at us and mocking our imminent participation in Europa Conference League? “check”

The most ironic thing for me personally would be that both Partizan and Crvena Zvezda would qualify for Europa League, so they wouldn’t even have the chance to draw Liverpool, so I could see them come to Belgrade again.

I feel that I will be coming back to this post to add a few more to the list. Filtering out some arrogance towards our rivals and filtering out the summer targets who will reject us because we won’t be playing in Champions League next season might not be the worst thing in the world, though.

1 Like

My secret dream of being involved in a title race this season definitely died today.

Reaching the Top4 still the minimal aim for the season and it’s not yet in big danger.

I don’t think mine is dead yet, but it’s really unlikely. I don’t think it’s that possible that other teams will have this bad an injury crisis this season.

My top 4 dream is still alive.

Top 4 would be a walk in the park for us if we could keep our players fit for a few months but it’s proven almost impossible for us to do.

Every game we go into we’re missing 4-5 players, what’s the point.

My only faith I have we can do it is Chelsea Spurs and Utd being equally as bad so if we can stay within touching distance until January (by touching distance I mean no more than 7-8 points) than we’ll see but then again we never seem to do anything of note in Jan anyway

Having to go back 10+ years says it all, no?

& you can’t exactly count players who we had lined up for summer out of a fear of losing out.

Luis Fernando Díaz Marulanda :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Glad we have only three PL games until the WC left. Not gonna lie - I’d take 6 points rightaway.

Important to secure the CL KO stage on Wednesday.

Win, draw and any loss by one goal would do the job.

Would give Klopp the chance to rest the remaining key players vs Napoli.

Not sure where else to put this, but I was really hoping there would never be a Goldbridge, DT/ Arsenal fan tv, that Chelsea angry guy anything remotely similar to them for Liverpool. They are toxic in my opinion. Ranting, screaming, cursing players, etc. I haven’t seen this guy yet and I don’t intend to but by looks of it for viewership it has to go down the same route of making fun of themselves and the club for the jest of others. :expressionless:

“Fans”.

Liverpool have 16 points in the PL from 12 games.

Liverpool have 15 points in the CL from six games.