Liverpool vs Southampton: FA Cup fifth round, February 28, Wednesday, 20:00

Hate to put a dampener on the celebrations, but he was okay at best in that role. Not to say it won’t work out but he clearly needs more games and experience there.

9 Likes

I’m too scared of you to tell you you’re crazy.

1 Like

I’ll make things easier for you: just say that I’m right.

1 Like

About Joe Gomez, I called it at the beginning of January: Post match: Arsenal v Liverpool (FAC 7/1/24 4.30pm) - #153 by mackie

In a parallel dimension where we’re light in midfield, we have found out that Gomez is a sort of reverse Milner playing competently across the defence and sometimes in midfield.

3 Likes

The kids and Kelleher are rightly getting the plaudits, but what about Ibou? He was immense in the second half.

5 Likes

They might be starting at this rate in the next round.

1 Like

Yes he just bullied their players

Yep
Gomez at 6 was ok last night, but I wouldn’t expect to see it against tougher opposition

2 Likes

Not too much of a difference between top 3 in Championship and bottom 3 in Prem.

Struggled a bit first half I thought but then the entire team was a bit off that first 45. Understandable.
Much much better second half though.

Overall I’m just so impressed with what we’ve seen the last two games and to be fair earlier than that too. It’s not 1, maybe 2 youngsters making an impact it’s a whole raft of them. Every single one that’s played has really stepped up. That’s just nuts.

A better team than Southampton would have scored 2 goals in the first half.

Our press was too easily beaten. Gomez took a bit of time in getting used to the #6 position. I don’t see him being a regular in that position.

That said , We had a much improved second half , Saints did have some chances too but we ran them ragged and capitalized later in the game.

He is a practising Christian and clearly led a quiet life so far. The Culture in all football clubs is likely to be boisterous to say the least and at times, I am sure, he finds that a little difficult. He shares those Christian values and beliefs with the boss but lacks Jurgens confidence and personality.
I am sure he prefers to be the junior striker in a group of three but has been thrown into the spotlight now due to injuries. It will take time for his natural talent to grow with the responsibility…I am sure it will and a legend will emerge.

2 Likes

Remember Gomez was playing with Clark and McConnell as the 8s and they were getting passed round and then out of the game defensively, however as the game went all 3 started to play well as a unit

3 Likes

:closed_lock_with_key::closed_lock_with_key::closed_lock_with_key:

The thread starter should be allowed to lock the thread.

1 Like