Liverpool Women

I’ve had a look and couldn’t see a thread for the Women’s Team. There may not be much interest (I recall the thread on TIA didn’t see much traffic), but they wear the jersey just like the men, so I thought I’d start a new thread.

Liverpool Women currently sit 3rd in the Women’s Championship. They have 15 points from 8 games and are 3 points behind leaders, Durham.

Vicky Jepson’s side will be disappointed with today’s result, a 0-0 draw away at Blackburn Rovers Ladies. Furness and Babajide both had clear cut chances, but couldn’t get the better of the Rovers’ 'keeper. A little more composure in front of goal and it would’ve been 3 points in the bag. Although the scoreline was disappointing, it was overall an exciting game to watch.

Next up, match day 3 in the WSL Cup. LFC Women travel to Everton. 18th Nov 19:00.

7 Likes

Thanks mate, this was long overdue.

Thanks Iftikhar.

1 Like

They’ve played 8 and have a goal difference of +8 in the Women’s Championship (W4, D3, L1), so I don’t think scoring is an overall problem. I agree that they just couldn’t get past the Bolton 'Keeper yesterday though. She was on fire!

1 Like
3 Likes

Wednesday sees the Ladies in red travel to the blue half of Merseyside for a WSL Cup 1st round derby vs. Everton.

The Women’s Super League Cup follows a group stage then knockout stage format. This year the group stage has 5 groups of 4 and 1 group of 3, for a total of 23 teams. The top side in each group and the 2 best 2nd placed sides will go through to the group stage.

Liverpool are in Group C, which has a distinctly North West feel. The other teams in the group are Everton, Man City and Man U (who are currently bottom). Liverpool are 2nd in the group, behind City, and will need to secure points vs Everton to have hope of progressing to the knockout stage.

LFC women are currently sitting 3rd in the Championship (WLDWLD) but go into this game as underdogs vs an Everton side who are 4th in the top tier (LWDLLD).

The blues haven’t had a victory in a while so they will probably be looking to rectify that tomorrow. Their last game was a 4-0 drubbing at the hands of Chelsea.

Vicky Jepson’s Red’s will be keen to prove again that they can raise their game against top flight opposition, just like they did against United a few weeks back. Our last game was a 0-0 draw vs Blackburn Rovers Ladies with Babajide and Furness (amongst others) lacking the composure in front of goal to finish off several gilt-edged chances. Hopefully they’ll bring tgeir shooting boots for this one.

As much as a victory over the blues is always a nice to have, the focus will possibly be on the league campaign, with promotion back to the top flight the ultimate goal for the season.

COYR

2 Likes
2 Likes

@AnfieldRdDreamer that’s a lovely clip. I really enjoyed watching it. Thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

Proper little “awwww” moment isn’t it?

2 Likes

I’m going to try my hand at a few short bios, starting with the the manager, Vicky Jepson

Name: Victoria (Vicky) Jepson (32)
Date of Birth: 23/02/1988
Role: Manager

Appointed in 2018 having previously been assistant manager to Neil Redfern. Jepson has held various roles in the club since 2009. Her first role was as the LFC Foundation’s Programme Lead for women’s and girl’s football. She has also coached at U17 level for England, worked for the FA in their girl’s Excellence Camps and held training camps for girls abroard.

She won the FA Female Development Coach of the Year award in 2015.

Jepson is aiming for promotion back to the top flight at the first opportunity. A real challenge as only one team will get promoted

3 Likes
5 Likes
1 Like

Half time 1-0 to the blues.

The Reds let an early goal in following some pretty naff defending. After the goal, they were deflated but grew back into the game over time. Both Reds and Blues had some good chances later on in the half. The game could still go either way at this point.

Whatever happens, the league campaign is a higher priority for the Reds but obviously, progressing in the cup would be a bonus. And bragging rights are priceless :grinning:

2 Likes

Full time 1-0 to the blues.

Liverpool finished the 1st half as the better team but were unable to build on that after the break. There were some good passages of play but few clear cut chances in the 2nd half. Everton were very threatening and it is a testament to the effort of the team that the scoreline stayed 1-0. Not one, but two goal line clearances!

Strength in depth was very much in Everton’s favour, bringing on 3 internationals.

The reds played well but unfortunately couldn’t get a breakthrough.

My WOTM - Missy Bo Kearns. She was all over pitch even though it was her first start.

4 Likes

I had to look up how to spell her name too :smiley:

She was all over the place. A great showing considering she’s only 19.

1 Like

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2020/11/jurgen-klopps-side-are-not-the-only-liverpool-squad-plagued-by-injuries/

An article on TIA today about Liverpool Women. It’s not just the men’s team suffering with injuries.

1 Like

Liverpool Women 2-0 up at the break vs. Crystal Palace. We will go top of the league on goal difference with a win as Durham drew earlier in the day.

2 Likes

LFCTV is streaming free :heart_eyes:

3-0 :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Beat me to it :grin:

Almost 4!

1 Like