Liverpool Youth Teams Thread

Not sure I 100% agree. Don’t get me wrong him and Phillips will both get more chances due to the VvD injury but not sure it’s that much of a deciding factor. Matip would always miss significant game time and Fabinho/Gomez would both need rests and occasionally possibly play positions other than CB. But even before Virgil got injured Williams had done real well against Arsenal in the cup, I think he may still have gotten the Ajax cameo and probably another one against Midtjylland for Fabinho or Gomez coming off for a rest. Just ended up being longer because of the Fab injury. Maybe we wouldn’t have risked him against Atalanta but you never know with Klopp. When players get their chances and impress he finds ways to keep using them. Also he’s not afraid to use a trustworthy player out of position if the other options haven’t done well enough when used. Henderson or Gini would have played CB when Fab went off injured and against Atalanta if Williams hadn’t already looked good in the league Cup, and he was probably always going to be given game time in the cup to see if there was a player there. So lucky that there’s more opportunities yeah but playing well enough to be given those opportunities and Klopp would have probably always found some game time for him even if he hadn’t needed to.

1 Like

You seem to be saying everything and nothing. You don’t agree but then, also, you apparently do.

2 Likes

Learning from you.

But more opportunities due to injuries or not Williams wouldn’t be getting them if he hadn’t already started impressing before the injuries. That was kind of what I was getting at. And because he was impressing already even if nobody was injured Klopp would have found ways to use him and give him opportunities anyway. So he would have still been used nearly as much as he has been regardless. In my opinion of course. No way of proving it.

1 Like

But didn’t he get his chance because Matip and Gomez had knocks? Pretty sure he didn’t get his chance when everyone was fit.

1 Like

U23 Premier League Results - 06/11/2020

Tottenham 1-2 Derby
Devine - Hector-Ingram, Stretton

Newcastle 4-3 Leeds
Toure, Anderson, Flaherty, OG - McCarron (x2), Gelhardt

Sunderland 2-1 Wolves
Curry (x2) - Perry

West Ham 2-4 Liverpool
Afolayan, Dju - Longstaff, Clayton, Millar, Glatzel

Brighton 2-5 Man Utd
Weir (x2) - Majbri, Shoretire, Helm, Fernandez, Puigmal

Blackburn 0-6 Arsenal
Moller (x2), Smith Rowe (x2), Cirjan, OG

Fulham 1-2 Stoke
Francois - Norton, Forrester

Latest Transfers - U23 & U18
Giovanni McGregor, 21, AM: Crystal Palace to Dulwich Hamlet - Free
Christian Norton, 19, CF: Southampton to Stoke - Free
Jack Chambers, 20, CM: West Brom to Luton - Free
Ed Elewa-Ikpakwu, 19, RB: Leicester to Lancaster City - Free
TQ Addy, 18, LW: Crystal Palace to Luton - Free

2 Likes

If Klopp wasn’t happy with Williams he would have played Fab, Henderson or Wijnaldum next to VvD against Lincoln or may Van Der Berg? Same against Arsenal but Gomez came off the bench in that game so Klopp didn’t even need to play Williams for the whole game even after giving him the start. I just don’t think Klopp would be playing Williams if he wasn’t happy with him even with the injuries. He’d do something else. And he’d find opportunities for Williams even if everyone was fit if Williams was impressing him.

1 Like
2 Likes

Someone get the cameraman a ladder ffs

1 Like

1-0 Layton Stewart. 10 goals already this season. Scouse Jota.

3 Likes

View like at Highbury (how I hated that + playing the best Arsenal to this day)?

:joy:

2 Likes

Lost 2-1 in the end.

1-0 up until Luca Stephenson did his best Suarez vs Ghana impression and was sent off. They scored the resulting penalty.

Young reds went for the win after that and were unlucky not to get it. A mistake by Orzyinski gifted Wolves the winner.

Disappointing result but a good performance, we created enough to win the game twice over. Bradley, Corness and Stewart impressed. Despite conceding two both centre backs looked good once again.

3 Likes
1 Like

U23 Premier League Results - 07/11/2020 to 09/11/2020

Southampton 5-2 Man City
N’Lundulu (x3), Vokins, Ferry - Rogers (x2)

Everton 2-0 Chelsea
Simms, Onyango

Middlesbrough 0-1 West Brom
Diaby

Crystal Palace 6-0 Reading
Matthews (x2), Street (x2), Pierrick, Banks

Burnley 2-2 Aston Villa
Dodgson, Mumbongo - Philogene-Bidace, Ramsey

U18 Premier League - 07/11/2020

Brighton 2-1 West Brom
Peupion, Emmerson - Iroegbunam

Derby 0-1 Stoke
Melbourne

West Ham 1-2 Crystal Palace
Mubana - Omilabu, Mooney

Man United 2-0 Everton
Iqbal, Garnacho

Norwich 0-2 Tottenham
Cesay, OG

Chelsea 8-1 Leicester
Soonsup-Bell (x4), Thomas, Haigh, Njongoue Elliot, Vale - Cover

Leeds 0-2 Man City
Gyabi, Smith

Aston Villa 3-3 Southampton
Young, Lindley, Raikhy - Olaigbe, Mitchell, Bellis

Blackburn 2-2 Sunderland
Wood, Weston - Chapman, Taylor

Newcastle 2-1 Burnley
Thomson, White - McGlynn

Wolves 2-1 Liverpool
Tipton, Bugarin - Stewart

Latest Transfers - U23 and U18
Tyler Magloire, 21, CB: Blackburn to Hartlepool - Loan

2 Likes
2 Likes

Millar 1-0 11 minutes . Instant reply 1-1.
Edit 2-1 down.
Edit 2-2 Millar again 34 minutes.

1 Like

Finished 4-2 to Port Vale.

Didn’t see the game but that’s a decent showing against what was a very experienced PV side.

1 Like

Liverpool U21s exit EFL Trophy despite Liam Millar’s brace at Port Vale, game finished 4-2.

1 Like

Was really impressed in the game versus Port Vale by Jaros and Millar.

Special shout-out to Bradley who is being seemingly retrained as a right back from his favoured right wing (like Neco Williams only a few years ago).

Got the assist for the first after a great tussle against the big centre half after a great attacking run. At 16 playing against men, definitely can hold his head high.

Jaros was fantastic making a good few saves and I’m glad to see him back after that serious injury. Millar was very good, bagging himself two. Surprised to see him still at the club to be honest but after games like that I expect a line of clubs to be waiting in January.

Negatives were that Van den Berg and Billy at the back were poor. Both looked very slow and a sloppy error by Billy cost the 4th. Sepp just seems to complain to linesmen rather than play on at times. Maybe a trait of youth and inexperience. These are the games these two lads want to be playing though, against senior opposition. Unfortunately for them though, I do think both are behind Phillips and Williams in the centre back pecking order.

3 Likes

Short EFL hilights of the Port Vale game

2 Likes

Probably a different result with VAR. Port Vale’s first three goals all looked offside to me.

1 Like