Liverpool Youth Teams Thread

Brilliant play from Balagizi again and a quality finish from MM.

This is a high quality Liverpool u18 side, the best I’ve seen in my time watching youth footy.

3 Likes

3-1, pen.

Customary Koumetio mistake. Billy looks really good so often but is usually good for an error to gift the opposition a goal.

Line up please

Balagizi and Quansah have been very, very good.

There’s a good piece by The Athletic on these young lads coming up through from the pre-academy. Posted in the media section.

1 Like

Great stuff from the kids.

1 Like
2 Likes

Can’t we give him a nickname? I’m not paying for Musialowski on me shirt. Far too many letters. I’ve just had a look through the squad and I think I’m gonna go for ‘Hill’ on me shirt. Or would ‘Mussy’ be OK? :nerd_face:

1 Like

Supposedly goes by Matty so we can use that

2 Likes

U23s currently drawing 2-2 at home to Leicester.

Morgan Boyes was sent off after 9 minutes.

XI:

Ojrzynski
Gallagher Clayton Boyes Beck
Clarkson Dixon-Bonner
Longstaff Woodburn O’Rourke
Glatzel

Clarkson and Woodburn with the goals for us.

1 Like

How does Musialowski compare to Woodburn when Ben was around his age? Similar positions, style, etc.? Or not?

Musialowski is significantly quicker and more of a natural striker. Woodburn always had the issue of not quite being a forward or a midfielder but he overcame that through just being a better player than everyone else and that has hit a wall after injuries and reaching first team football.

Musialowski is clearly a forward who can play out wide so he has that definition going for him. Not as creative in his passing but he causes problems by running at defenders with pace - however he probably will find this less effective in senior football so as time goes he will have to develop a few more strings to his bow. Woodburn was the better footballer at 17 but Musalowski has a clearer route to reaching the first team - if that makes sense.

4 Likes

Game finished 2-2, Liverpool ended with 9 men after Tyler Morton was sent off for two bookable offences after coming on as a sub in the 68th minute.

I haven’t seen the incidents but apparently the Boyes sending off was for a pretty routine challenge which probably deserved a yellow (he got a straight red) and Morton was sent off for kicking the ball away in the 96th minute.

The ref also booked Owen Beck for taking a throw in from the wrong place.

2 Likes

Good preparation for the youngsters. They’ll be used to being shafted by the officials should they ever make the first team here.

5 Likes

Dortmund interested in Musialowski it seems. We want a buy back they don’t want to include on. Will be included in Sancho deal if true

And do you think Woodburn is any closer to finding the next level to his game? what is the thing actually holding him back? is it just poor confidence? or have injuries left a permanent scar on him? or something else entirely?

The ref was determined to be the MOTM. Complete pratt.

No I don’t think he’s taken another step, in fact with Woodburn I think it’s always going to be a case of him trying to get back to being the player he was at 16.

Injuries, lack of confidence, failure to nail down a position, lack of strength and lack of pace. There’s nothing wrong with his talent particularly but I don’t think he has enough about him to make it in the Premier League.

He’s be a good candidate to go and play in the Spanish or Italian second division if he wants to do that.

2 Likes

I think the one attribute Musialowski has over our other youth players is how quickly he runs with the ball. I don’t think he’s any quicker than Stewart, Woltman, Hill, Frauendorf, Blair etc in open space but with the ball he looks far more comfortable. Changes direction instantaneously and throws in lots of feints. Only Balagizi is on a similar level here.

He still has a lot to develop though, his decision making when compared to Balagizi is lacking, but definitely a lot of talent there.

2 Likes

Thought I was going mad for a minute as my flashscore app notes a Miles Preston playing in midfield for us today. Miles Preston was a goalkeeper who signed for us as a 14 year old in 2017 and is no longer with the club. For a brief moment I thought he had resigned and somehow transitioned from GK to CM…

Terrence Miles makes much more sense.

2 Likes