Liverpool Youth Teams Thread

Fact we had two trialist CBs yesterday for the U21s implies we are looking for some options there. Probably guys who can come in just to fill out the squad rather than high value prospects. That’s why it wouldn’t shock me if they were Revan and Olufunwa (it probably wasn’t but they are as good a guess as any, at this stage).

With van den Berg and Williams going on loan, Chambers looking like he’s moving back to LB, Koumetio already put in Austria then it leaves just Quansah, Miles and Jonas for the U21s at CB. Even then Miles is still U18 eligible and could be used more often at that level given where he is in his development.

I expect to see one or maybe two low cost/free signings at CB for the U21s - similar to how we once brought in the likes of Nat Phillips, Kevin Stewart and Isaac Christie-Davies.

1 Like

Macclesfield beat WBA 2-0 last night with Pitaluga getting man of the match. :clap:

1 Like

Matteo Ritaccio return following an unsuccessful spell at Charleston Battery, cancelling his loan early.

Not much news on Sepp Van Den Berg and not on pre-season tour, Most likely another loan? Although still young at 20…with Konate and Gomez on long contracts, he is not looking likely to overtake them any time soon in terms of development and abilities…his best chance might be when Matip stops playing so regularly in another 2 years when he is 32? Will he just be another one that had a huge hype but not get to step up for us?

He is on the tour I believe. Although I don’t get why he didn’t play instead of Nat Phillips

Oh ya I missed out his name in the list…yeah I would have thought he would gotten some minutes. Singapore maybe.

Hopefully I feel he has a future at a high level compared to Nat or Rhys.

1 Like

U18s played their first pre season game in a 50 min outing against Robbie Fowlers Academy in which we won 1-0

1 Like

I’ve seen these kids train not too far from me, they’re good!

3 Likes

That happened back in the late 90’s/ 00’s too, we had a run of players coming through at RB, although probably nowhere near the same standard - Stephen Wright, Jon Osemebor and the name of a third one escapes me.

Lee Peltier?

1 Like

Who are they do you know? Sunday league kids or ex academy lads?

Not sure, I guess it’s just normal kids with an interest in football/sport. But like I’ve said, I’ve seen them have a training game and I was impressed by their level.

Gerrard has a similar academy in Mossley Hill.

2 Likes

We don’t have a thread for Sepp van den Berg. He has clocked some impressive minutes (66 games, 5772 mins) since going on loan in the later half of 20/21 season. I wonder what’s the plan for him? Considering PNE is a midtable Championship club, he may not be good enough for us.

Think that I read the plan was for him to go out on loan again. He may not make it, it’s a tough position for a young player to break into at a top team, but from what I’ve read the coaching team is happy with the progress he’s making for now.

1 Like

Not a difficult question, probably a new loan. We’ll see what he attracts and what they believe is the best option. 2 years left on his deal, we’ll see if he signs an extension.

I was wondering about the long-term future. Maybe it’s a longshot, but a part of me feels that the coaching staff wants to see if he can be a viable replacement for Matip by allowing him to play regularly at competitive level.

Yeah well, we’ll see. It is a long shot for a lot of these young players, it’s only natural, especially when we’re one of the world’s best sides. It’s difficult even for Gomez, let alone someone like Berg. I believe Berg is good after a successful while at Preston, he’s still 20. Our staff are assessing that all the time, it’s their job. Of course they’d all welcome with open arms sudden quality from a player like that who could earn a first team spot. But like in most cases, easier said than done. He probably sings a new deal soon, goes on at least another loan and then we’ll see.

After Chambers, I’d like to praise Harvey Davies, after seeing him also for the first time. Moves well for a pretty tall fella, decent on the ball. I see he’ll only be 19 soon. Uses both feet. Early signs, but hopefully we have “another one”.

1 Like