Liverpool Youth Teams Thread

Lewis Koumas scored four as Liverpool U18s opened their season with a 6-2 home victory over Middlesbrough on Saturday.

The forward fired in three times during the opening 45 minutes, with a Ben Doak penalty and own goal helping put the young Reds 5-1 up at half-time.

Koumas then grabbed his fourth from close range on the hour mark to complete a brilliant start to the U18s Premier League North campaign for Marc Bridge-Wilkinson’s side.

It took less than half an hour for Liverpool to establish a 4-0 lead.

The home side opened their account for the campaign by way of an own goal with five minutes on the clock.

Doak’s charging run into the penalty area and eventual shot inadvertently deflected in off Aidan Bridge, who had been tracking back.

The advantage was doubled four minutes later when Koumas expertly brought Niall Osborne’s ball over the top under control before applying a convincing finish at the near post.

Despite the Reds being well on top, Fabian Mrozek was called upon to keep it 2-0 with a good low save to deny Max Howells.

Doak continued to threaten down the left wing, and the summer arrival from Celtic won and converted a spot-kick to net his team’s third of the afternoon in minute 22.

And in a near identical move to the second goal, Koumas got on the scoresheet again to make it 4-0 when he latched onto another lofted pass from Osborne and beat Boro goalkeeper Nathan Fisher.

That goal drew an immediate response from the visitors, however, as Howells drove into the box and found the bottom right corner of the net.

But there was still time for Liverpool to score again before the first half’s conclusion; Koumas pounced on an under-hit backpass and calmly rounded Fisher to complete his treble.

It was a similar tale after the half-time interval, with Bridge-Wilkinson’s charges well on top.

Terence Miles struck the crossbar with a looping header from a free-kick, although the Reds didn’t have to wait long to find the back of the net once more.

A lovely team move ended with Ranel Young squaring when Boro’s defenders were expecting a shot, allowing Koumas to tap in from a yard out for his fourth.

The visitors pulled one back through Ashley MacCarthy’s well-taken finish with a quarter of an hour remaining but the damage proved to be irreversible.

Liverpool U18s: Mrozek, Osborne, Pinnington, Miles, Giblin, McConnell, Pennington (Laffey, 58), Doak (Gyimah, 70), Young (Hayes-Green, 82), Kone-Doherty (Figueroa, 70), Koumas.

Unused substitute: Morana.

2 Likes

Read some reports that Ben Doak is a top top talent, looks well ahead of his age.

Brighton u21’s. v Liverpool u21’s, ko 3pm.

Liverpool.
Davies, Mabaya, Quansah, Jonas, chambers, Norris, Corness, Cain, Bearne, Stewart, Musialowski.

Subs,
Olufunwa, Hewitson, Stephenson, Blair, Cannonier.

1-1 Layton Stewart

1 Like

I would temper that just a touch (based solely on this game). His first goal was a lucky deflection, not a shot, and his second came from the penalty spot when he was “fouled” (looked a good tackle to me).

He did have one nice moment where he span his full back and burst into space before squaring to Ranel Young. For me the star of the show was Young in the 10 role, he had multiple really intelligent passes including a brilliant assist for Koumas’ 4th.

Koumas got 4 while playing at CF, but in all honesty all 4 of them where tap ins or defensive mistakes. I don’t rate goals highly at this level. Not that Koumas did anything wrong, he’s always been a midfielder when I’ve seen him, but the goals aren’t what is going to get him gametome at higher levels.

Really good draw for Liverpool. Brighton had a number of first team players on the pitch including Alzate, Enciso and Colwill.

Quansah hit the bar and Jonas missed a good chance at the back post. Still think Jonas looks a bit slow for this level, going to take him some time to adjust.

Great finish by Stewart, little flick with the outside of his foot. He’s one player who has scored goals freely at every level, real shame he got that injury when he did or he may have been on loan to the EFL this season.

1 Like

Looking forward to your previews this season!

2 Likes

SWEETING’S 2022/2023 LIVERPOOL YOUTH ACADEMY PREVIEW

Finally I have it ready to roll out, took a lot of time this year and I’ve gone with a new style which will hopefully make it easier to track across the full season. This year the preview is on google sheets and each player has their own tab. You can navigate using the hyperlink on the front page or the Depth Chart tab.

You can find the sheet by following this link.

The aim is that I’ll periodically update the spreadsheet across the season and that will hopefully keep people updated on how it is all progressing for them!

8 Likes

Star Trek Applause GIF

Love it. Have a question , can you play for u18s if not on a scholarship? Notice about Keyrol you mention if he was a day younger he wouldn’t be a scholar until next year

Yes you can, Fola Onanuga and Callum Pinnington have played for the U18s this season already despite being 15 and not getting their scholarship until next season.

1 Like

Leeds v Liverpool u18’s.

Hewitson, Gymiah, Miles, Hayes Green, Osbourne, Onanuga, McConnell, Kone Doherty, Young, Doak, Koumas.

Subs,

Morana, Giblin, Figueroa, Laffey, Pennington.

1 Like

Liverpool U18s were defeated 2-1 by Leeds United in an entertaining contest at Thorp Arch on Saturday.

Ben Doak pulled one back for the young Reds with an excellent finish just after the hour, but the damage had been done by quickfire goals from Leeds’ Max McFadden and Charlie Crew in the opening minutes of the second half.

Lewis Koumas had a header cleared off the line while winger Doak was a constant menace to the hosts.

Doak went close to salvaging a point on a couple of occasions but it was not to be for Marc Bridge-Wilkinson’s side, whose next U18 Premier League North assignment is a home meeting with Manchester United next Saturday.

A positive, front-foot start to the game could have seen Liverpool go ahead inside the first minute, but Trent Kone-Doherty delayed his shot after being teed up by Koumas and the chance was gone.

An absorbing match was unfolding and McFadden soon served notice of his finishing prowess by rattling a fierce drive from outside the box off the underside of the crossbar.

Then, the lively Kone-Doherty produced a moment of brilliance to spin away from his markers on the halfway line before driving towards goal with intent, only to scuff his shot when a pass may have been the better option.

The speed and directness of Doak and Kone-Doherty on the flanks was causing no end of problems for Leeds and, after Luke Hewitson had denied Ben Andreucci at the other end, Doak delivered a fine cross that Koumas met with a miscued header.

Hewitson again made a crucial intervention to thwart Marley Wilson shortly before the break, but Leeds emerged after half-time with real purpose and had duly scored twice by the 50th minute.

First, McFadden drilled beyond Hewitson from an angle following some intricate link-up inside the area, and Crew then looped home after a quick Leeds break.

Bridge-Wilkinson’s side responded strongly, with Doak leading the charge. The Scot almost provided an impressive assist for Koumas, who was left frustrated when Cian Coleman cleared his header off the line.

But Doak was not to be denied. James McConnell played him in and the 16-year-old’s searing pace took him away from his marker before he dispatched a cool, low finish in off the post.

Doak was taking it upon himself to haul Liverpool back on terms and a surging dart from right to left ended with Leeds goalkeeper Darryl Ombang saving his shot.

Hewitson was needed to prevent McFadden from restoring the hosts’ two goal advantage, the young Reds’ stopper getting down sharply to tip a glancing touch wide.

Terence Miles then nodded McConnell’s corner wide and Doak lashed an attempt into the side-netting late on, but there was to be no equaliser for the visitors.

Liverpool U18s: Hewitson, Osborne, Gyimah, Miles, Hayes-Green, Onanuga (Pennington, 79), McConnell, Young (Figueroa, 79), Doak, Kone-Doherty (Laffey, 54), Koumas (Giblin, 90).

Unused substitute: Morana.

Liverpool U 21 V Blackburn U 21
KO 2 PM

Davies, Mabaya, Quansah, Jonas, Chambers, Clark, Bajcetic, Cain, Frauendorf, Cannonier, Woltman.

Subs,

Norris, Stephenson, Blair, Corness, Bearne.

Max Woltman’s second-half goal earned Liverpool U21s a deserved 1-0 win over Blackburn Rovers in front of the watching Jürgen Klopp.

Klopp was joined by Pepijn Lijnders, Vitor Matos and John Achterberg on the sidelines as Barry Lewtas’ side dominated Saturday’s Premier League 2 match at the Academy.

Blackburn goalkeeper Aidan Dowling was in superb form to frustrate the young Reds for long spells, but he was finally beaten by Woltman with 72 minutes on the clock as Liverpool claimed their first victory of the new season.

Jarell Quansah hit the post early on before Dowling’s excellent save blocked an effort from Oakley Cannonier, who started in place of the suspended Layton Stewart.

The visitors did pose an attacking threat of their own, though, and Harvey Davies made fine stops to deny Sam Burns and Jared Harlock before half-time.

The pressure on Rovers’ goal continued to grow after the break and Dowling was twice required to prevent Liverpool captain Jake Cain scoring from free-kicks.

Dowling then thwarted Lee Jonas from a corner but Blackburn’s resistance was broken 18 minutes from time.

Jack Bearne’s shot was charged down after good work from Isaac Mabaya, but James Norris won the loose ball and fed a lovely pass into Woltman, with the forward firing in a calm left-footed finish.

Lewtas’ team could have increased their advantage further but Dowling produced two more impressive saves to frustrate Harvey Blair and Woltman.

Liverpool U21s: Davies, Mabaya (Stephenson, 76), Quansah, Jonas, Chambers, Bajcetic (Corness, 46), Cain, Frauendorf (Bearne, 65), Clark (Norris, 46), Woltman, Cannonier (Blair, 76).

FYI - I will be releasing my “Ones to Watch” list again this year but I’m going to wait until the transfer window closes. Reason for this is that I do not want to talk about anyone that clubs have loaned out. Had my list made two months ago and it feels like nearly every name is different now because of the loans… Once all of that settles down I’ll do my write ups and release the list.

4 Likes

U18 Premier League Cup fixtures.

September 3rd… Liverpool v Tottenham Hotspur, 11am.
October 8th… Charlton Athletic v Liverpool, 11am.
November 5th…Wolverhampton Wanderers v Liverpool, 12pm.

I hadn’t realised that Djibril Cissé’s son, Prince Kobe Djibril Cissé, is in the LFC academy. He’s been representing Wales at youth level too (his mum’s Welsh).

5 Likes

Ko 18.55.

1 Like