Losing the midriff "wobble" or the TAN diet/exercise thread

Fresh start no. 27

5.12km in 34 min. 23sec and every single stride of it being uncomfortable. In no particular order it was a case of too fat, too unfit, too hot.

2 Likes

really trying hard to get back into it now. Still feeling the hip but I need to work it. Summer is nearly gone and thanks to a cold, covid and then an injury I’ve made zero progress over the Spring / Summer.

Tonight was 7.7miles on technical trails with the mountain bike. Time was 1hr 20 minutes or there abouts. Not that it matters, the good thing is that I practically rode myself to a standstill. I should sleep tonight!!

Also trying had to recue my sugary carb in take. I’ve got a real soft spot for biscuits and basically need to stop. Now at Day 2 on that one. No vicious mood swings yet.

1 Like

Been a reasonable week of exercise so far. At last feel like I’m able to put some time to it.

5.3 miles on mountain bike trails in the pouring rain but it had a really good long climb on a fire road towards the end. That climb basically had my heart rate right up there for around 20 minutes. The climb was probably 10 minutes of that. So a good sustained workout well into the aerobic zone.

Only trouble is my technical skills on a mountain bike are awful. Yesterdays trail was way above my level to be honest. Lots of stretches with rock slabs, bumps, drop offs, loose stuff, solid stuff, tree roots and all of it scary slippery and steep in sections. Nearly came off after less than a minute into the ride which set the tone for the rest of it. Crapped myself for the last half mile or so. Nearly did the splits on one section, that hurt the hip.

2 Likes

When you think about processed foods people generally point to processed meats, sausages, salami etc. But in reality unless you pluck it from the tree or dig it from your garden nearly all foods undergo some form of processing - freezing, smoking, cooking etc. to name but 3.

Consumption of some processed foods can have long term health implications. Nova have asked the UN to mandate a scale in order to classify foods.

• Group 1 - Unprocessed or minimally processed foods
  • Group 2 - Processed culinary ingredients
  • Group 3 - Processed foods
  • Group 4 - Ultra-processed food and drink products

Not all processing is “bad” in fact some processing can improve the health benefits of a particular product (blue cheese for instance).

I think it would be a big step forward to adopt such a system- knowledge is power. Especially as the new “plant based meat” products begin to become more common and the marketers try to induce us to switch based upon flawed environmental reasoning. Chemical cocktails dressed up as food IMO.

Flawed environmental reasoning? You’ll have explain that one please.

Otherwise your point on what those foods are is correct. I’m finding it tough going being honest.

My work have a well being scheme up to £500 so I went and bought a Carrera Hybrid bike. Really enjoying it. Doing about 5-6 miles a day. It’s good for my knee and hopefully should start to shift a couple of inches off the belly!

1 Like

I think the reference is to cattle farms being a major source of methane emitters contributing to global warming

That’s my understanding but is @BigJon denying that is a thing?

1 Like

2 Likes

Well I can’t beat the above.
I’m trying hard now and slowly getting the eating under control. Sugar intake is pretty much zero other than fruit, carbs are also down. Exercise is up.

Has this equated into weight loss? Has it hell. Still the same.

Last night was 8 miles on the mountain bike and I felt like I went at it pretty hard.

Tonight I went for a run and clocked a disappointing 32 minutes for 5k despite feeling like I’d pushed it. I then find my VO2 max has slipped back a point.

Only bonus is that I do feel better, more energised which comes from the reduced sugar and carb intake I think. For me anyway.

Starting to run out of diet ideas now.

you will when you start doing big lifts. stability in the joints is key when you’re deadlifting 2x your body weight. .

1 Like

doubling your heart rate for 20min a day can lessen the stress on your heart by help keeping arteries clean and resting heart rate lower. gotta keep that metabolism going or your body starts trying to store energy as fatty cells

2 Likes

Probably the wrong thread to get into this - and probably not the best use of words I have ever used.

Below is just one example of the counter-argument to the “Plant good - Meat bad” narrative that is so prevalent in Western society. It is far more nuanced than some would have us believe.

In the US, Transportation, Electricity Generation, Industry and Commercial / Residential Construction(s) account for 90% of all greenhouse gas emissions.

Within the agricultural sector (10%) livestock production accounts for approx 7%/

I think the subject is too broad to get into a lengthy discussion in this thread - there are already other threads dealing with this topic. My bad.

1 Like

I think you are zeroing in on the problem.

Have you tried keeping your carbs under 50 gms a day and eliminating fruit almost completely?

Berries are a great alternative - in moderation, half a cup a day max.

Definitely avoid tropical fruits - they are packed with sugar.

Exercise as a weight loss tool is pretty much useless - although its benefits in all other health respects are immense.

Give it a go for a week - what have you got to loose?
Oh yeah

Continue to stick on with it. Different people lose weight differently.

If you still are keen on losing weight , I would suggest intermittent fasting

Yep, not the place and to be honest not really a discussion I want to get into either. Just wanted to understand your perspective on it more than anything. Food miles is certainly an issue.

Thanks and Good to hear although i though there would have been some movement after a week. Even if it was water weight which is an issue I have thanks to broken kidneys and some medication I’m on. I want to get off that particular tablet if can.

I’ll have a milk shake in morning made from some berries, coconut vegan yogurt, oat milk and some ground flax seed. Quite tasty.
Other fruits are apples, a peach and nectarine at the moment. The odd pear too.

I’ll try and wind the carbs down some more but that will be tough.

Tried it a couple of years ago and did ok with it but found that it screwed with my head a bit. Knowing I could eat a hefty meal at the end of the day kind of transitioned into eating at the end of the day even when I wasn’t fasting.

I want this to be somehow sustainable for me. Being semi vegan is tough enough for me but doing it in a manner that leads to weight loss, is healthy and sustainable while keeping the food bill in check is not easy. The problem I’ve found with a vegan diet is having to buy heaps of flavour enhancing herbs, sauces etc. They cost an effin bomb when you add them all up.

Another run this evening. Trail run and pretty much bang on 5km. Really struggled.

Anyone have those days where you just feel super heavy and you simply can’t get into that space where your “second wind” kicks in?

Might be I’m tired from this week’s activities but I honestly don’t feel too bad. No obvious reason. Getting back to where I was in February seems a long long way away.

Rest day tomorrow and then see what’s next. Need to keep it up.