Losing the midriff "wobble" or the TAN diet/exercise thread

Almost all the time. It takes me about 15 minutes before I increase my pace.

I’ve found good sleep is hugely important for recovery from exercise, being fresh to exercise the next day, but most importantly for appetite control.

2 Likes

Yeah I know that feeling this is different. This was a feeling like weighing a lot heavier than you do and aerobically hitting a wall. And it stayed like that for the whole run.

I’ll see how I am this week. Slipped a little in the diet last 2 days so back on it again.

Not a bad start today. Went on the paddle board. 4.8 miles and it was tough going. Decided to go the other direction to normal which meant crossing the estuary inlet. A little more wind than expected too. Heavy going crossing there before crossing back directly upwind and then into a lagoon I know well. I’ve been caught in there a few times kiting where the tide run works against you. It felt that way today again.

Shot to bits now.

I do struggle with sleep to be honest. Seems to come in waves where I’ll struggle for a week and then be okish again. This last week hasn’t been the best.

The key is consistent bedtimes. Even if you’re not immediately nodding off, refrain from leaving the bed and definitely don’t switch in your phone.

1 Like

Try taking a magnesium supplement an hour or so before you go to bed. I used to struggle with getting to sleep but this seemed to fix it for me.

2 Likes

Cheers I’ll look into it. I’ve got to careful with supplements given my kidneys, which in my mind is partly responsible for the sleep issues I have.

Staying asleep is my main issue though. I’ll get 3-4hrs then wake. On a good night I’ll get back to sleep no problem. A bad night will vary between a couple of hours to get back to sleep or not at all.

1 Like

I’m the same, I’ve always had problems sleeping.

Stopping caffeine intake at least 8 hours before going to sleep helps. Make the room as dark as possible. Comfortable temperature. Use earplugs if it’s noisy. Try to limit blue light exposure an hour or two before sleep. Fresh/comfortable bedding. I try to limit how late I have a drink too as I’ll be up needing a piss multiple times if not.

I envy those who can fall and stay asleep with ease.

1 Like

On the subject of sleep -

Your insulin response to exactly the same food, can vary by as much as 30% dependent upon whether you have had 7+ hours of sleep as opposed to less than 7 hours of sleep.

In short - if you do not get enough sleep, losing weight will be more difficult and it will take longer for you to achieve the desired results.

You know several people who aren’t getting enough sleep. It is absolutely not healthy to get 5 hours of sleep a night, even if you think you’re fine.

As Dr. Thomas Roth says in Matthew Walker’s book, Why We Sleep , “The number of people who can survive on 5 hours of sleep or less without any impairment, expressed as a percent of the population, and rounded to a whole number, is zero.” Case in point: The UCSF researchers highlighted that the NPSR1 gene mutation “is exceedingly rare, occurring in fewer than one in 4 million people.”

1 Like

No wonder you’re a snarky cunt with your 5 hours a night.

1 Like

People can develop naturally unhealthy normal sleep cycles.

Not going to lie and say I’m getting enough sleep. I’ve awoken tired every morning this week. This morning at 5am. No chance of anymore after that when I’m up at 6.

Good news is my 5k time has improved to pretty much bang on 30 minutes yesterday. Tonight I did my shorter baseline run and clocked that at 26 minutes.

Happy with that but it was still pretty heavy going. Garmin says I wasn’t pushing it. Garmin can fuck off, I felt like I buried myself. Still harder than I want it to be.

Having trouble controlling my hunger. I’ve read that when you get overweight your body craves more calories, certainly more than you need. Unsuccessfully looking for appetite suppressants

Today is probably my 5th diet restart in a month :tired_face:

Speak for yourself, but some people crave that even when in tip top shape

Welcome to my world. Eating sensible and in control during the day at work unless I’m doing something tedious but even then I’m doing ok at the moment. I get home and become a cross between a ravenous Tasmanian Devil and the Cookie Monster. It ain’t pretty.

Weekends are also a struggle.

1 Like

Short update on running.

Yesterday decided that I would look at increasing my distance and focused hard on simply getting round. I had a soft target of at least 5 miles and kind of made my route up on the hoof.

Without pace being a factor I can honestly say I felt pretty comfortable most of the way round with only my hip and ankles needing a quick stretch about a third of the way in. I got that second wind feeling.

I covered 5.3 miles with room for more if I wanted to. I was happy with that at a pace that was just over 10 minutes per mile on the road sections getting slower off road.

Garmin didn’t like this approach and immediately docked a point off my VO2 max score.:angry:

1 Like

Try upping your protein intake - many people find protein more satiating and so are less inclined to over-eat.

Another good tip is to eat a salad before your main course.

1 Like

Thanks! Yeah gonna try a protein shake from tomorrow

I’m still struggling with the weight loss side I think but I’ve had an ok week exercise wise. In addition to the 5.3 mile run on Monday I followed the with 4.1miles yesterday and 8miles mountain biking this evening.

The cycling is a bit odd. My average heart rate this evening was 136bpm and only really spiked to a peak of 167bpm for a very short time. Of the 1hr 20minutes on the bike only 16minutes of it was above 142bpm. I working hard though so I’m guessing it’s a function of strength not on a par with my aerobic level.

I’ve been feeling slightly thinner round the waist but it’s not translated into any pounds off for some reason.

1 Like