Losing the midriff "wobble" or the TAN diet/exercise thread

Knowing the feeling. Just took one now and the 7 horses of the Apocalypse could not drag me into sharing it. That said its a potential motivation tool.

25+kgs loss is massive. That’s over 25% of your starting weight. HUUUUUUGGGE. Awesome effort to go for it.

1 Like

Keep going at it. That’s all I can say. Easier said than done though

You’ll hit multiple plateaus on the way. And sometimes you find that further weight loss might not be possible despite following diet and excercise regiments. But keep going.

1 Like

Much appreciated mate! Piled it on during the pandemic and the mental health issues I had to deal with after my second divorce meant I was using food as a crutch. Had to clear my mind before embarking on my fitness journey.

1 Like

Thanks mate! It helps that I was there in 2019 (75kg, low body fat) so I know that I can do it again.

2 Likes

Not sure that’s accurate.

There’s nothing wrong with seed oils if used within reason.

Again peanut oil , sunflower oil , mustard oil… There are plenty of seed oils around. Can’t pick one odd oil to show that all seed oils are bad.

Agreed. I should have clarified that I use this approach for training for the half marathons.

Airbikes are amazing for the simple fact they make it so easy to work so hard, if that makes sense.

Apart from adjusting the seat to your desired height there’s nothing left to think about. No pissing about with buttons trying to set pace or resistance, no technique to worry about unlike a rower (for example), the harder you try the harder it gets. You can mindlessly and quickly get your heart rate right up, perfect for your tabata workout.

Yep first time I’ve ever used one to be honest having always consigned them to the category of people that use the gym once in a blue moon and they just potter on the thing. I was wrong , it is a truly evil machine. Aerobically I thought I was in a reasonable place all things considered. This contraption found me out pretty quick! My power levels are awful.

I used to do a bit on rowing machines and they are equally evil but this thing combined with what is basically a HIIT workout and intervals is another level again.

I’ll be doing more of it and I hope they fix the wattage meter etc.

Talking of the gym… :0)

Classic :rofl:

1 Like

My partner is only 5’1" and so is short enough that she fell off one trying to reach the handlebars. Other than that I agree with you though. They’re sometimes not great for home use because the wind they generate can make a mess in the spaces most people have for home workout equipment, but if you have the right space for it they’re great because they’re comparatively really robust as well compared to other bikes so should require a lot less maintenance

I am not denying that some fats are worse than others. I am saying that using the term seed oil as way to distinguish which is which is bad and is entirely based on quackery.

The term is a relative new one that has come out of the SM influencer space, specifically the space where grifters are selling the idea that plants are trying to kill you as a justification for their animal focused diet. Sometimes a bad premise can lead you to approximately the right place (avoiding products with HFCS can be beneficial IF it can help someone cut down from an unhealthy level of sugar consumption, even if HFCS per se is not uniquely bad), but sometimes the premise draws the lines in lines in wrong enough places that the practical implications are bad. And that’s the case with the seed oil nonsense.

This stuff is hard to study and so hard to piece out real story, but the broad strokes recommendations have a strong basis behind them. On balance your best choice is going to be fats high in MFAs and the seed oil distinction not only throws out several cheap options of this description, but then leaves unexcluded several sources of fats that don’t meet this description, specifically SFAs and especially from animal sources.

FWIW, I think fat choice is a second tier at most consideration for what constitutes a healthy diet, so if someone prefers butter or coconut oil then its no big deal if total calories are right and the rest of the diet is on point, but they shouldnt be choosing them on the basis that its a healthier choice that enables them to avoid the toxicity of seed oils.

1 Like

"The consumption of the omega-6 polyunsaturated fat linoleic acid has dramatically increased in the western world primarily in the form of vegetable oils. OxLDL is thought to play an important role in atherosclerosis formation; however, it is the oxidised linoleic acid contained in LDL that leads to harmful OXLAMs, which induces atherosclerosis and CHD. Thus, reducing the amount of dietary linoleic acid, mainly from industrial vegetable/seed oils, will reduce the amount of linoleic acid in LDL and likely reduce oxLDL as well as the risk for CHDcoronary heart disease.

In summary, numerous lines of evidence show that the omega-6 polyunsaturated fat linoleic acid promotes oxidative stress, oxidised LDL, chronic low-grade inflammation and atherosclerosis, and is likely a major dietary culprit for causing CHD, especially when consumed in the form of industrial seed oils commonly referred to as ‘vegetable oils’."

From the BMJ

“A meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials in humans found that when saturated fat plus trans-fat is replaced with omega-6 fat (high in linoleic acid), there is an increase in all-cause mortality, ischaemic heart disease mortality and cardiovascular mortality” Same article.

It is worth considering what is the “purpose” and function of a seed. In many plants the seed wants to be consumed by an animal, it is then transported in the stomach of the animal and excreted in a nurturing pile of organic waste. It then grows into a new plant. That is the natural process and has been for centuries. The human body is not designed to break down seeds - in many examples, it simply cannot break down seeds - there is a reason for this…

If you wish to continue consuming seed oils that is obviously your choice.

Given that they are an industrially processed food, developed only in the last hundred years or so, that has relatively cheap centuries old natural alternatives that work just as well, if not better, then in my reasoning why use them?

Here are a couple of articles that touch on the subject of different oils breaking down at differing temperature ranges… No mention of the health benefits or lack off between them, but interestingly targets the type of oil against the type of foods being cooked
May be of interest to some on here…

How to Choose the Right Cooking Oil |Flavour||Smoke Points| (becomingachef.co.uk)
What is an oil’s smoke point in cooking? (frymax.co.uk)

Firstly do not consume anything that causes harm to your body. Nature has taught us what we can and cannot eat.

Second, experiment with the food choices that work for you - there is not one single “diet,” or eating pattern that promotes good health. Anyone that makes that claim is a quack.
If carnivore works for you then fine, if vegan works for you, also fine. What works for you may not work for others and vice versa.

But when a “food” is shown conclusively to be harmful then people should be made aware of it. If there is doubt and there are alternatives then why consume them?

Fat is a crucial part of the body and diet. 60% of the brain is fat.

Be careful what you feed it.

2 Likes

Peanut oil has been used for ages , as have coconut oil , soyabean oil , sesame oil. Different cultures use different oils as per their cooking styles. There might be some oils better suited for different cuisines (based on their smoking points , ever try olive oil with indian curries for example ? )

Yeah , Olive oil has very good monounsaturated fat numbers and a very decent 6:3 ratio. But its low smoke point makes cooking on it a problem especially for quite a lot of cuisines where heat is required.

I grew up consuming food cooked in lard.
Never did me any harm, and unless I’m mistaken is 100% natural.
Back then I was fit as a lop and healthy too.

Just a thought.

2 Likes

Interesting discussion and that kidney diet I mentioned above works hard to move towards a higher omega 3 to 6 ratio but has basically put a blanket ban on all oils. I only really use olive oil now but should look at the vegan friendly butter alternatives. They’re probably nasty.

One area we haven’t touched on the mental side yet and what a rabbit hole that is. Thanks to my kidney issues I’m on a restrictive diet. That screws my head up being brutally honest. Life revolves around food and what I can / can’t eat. Mentally it’s taxing.

1 Like

This is part of a very difficult problem to solve. A matter of personal choice and values.
Do you choose to use products that are or may be bad for your health but make food taste better?
Or do you prioritise your health and remove any damaging ingredients from your diet and content yourself with an altered, possibly less palatable diet.

I choose to remove sugar, seed oils, chemicals, preservatives and processed foodstuffs in order to hopefully safeguard my health.

As I say, its a personal choice.

1 Like