Losing the midriff "wobble" or the TAN diet/exercise thread

14st 1……….

Hot bath, every time. After a run I usually jump on the bike for a few gentle miles just to warm down my permanently buggered calfs.

Close, but no

1 Like

Started at 104kg October 2. Today at 89.6kg

It’s WORKING!!

2 Likes

15kg in a month and a half is pretty insane. Good job!

1 Like

Taking a step back from where this conversation went, you proposed that seed oils should be avoided and presented this paper in support of that. What support do you think this paper gives to that idea that? What do you think it says about seed oils being a meaningful way to classify fats that helps dictate practical choices that have important real world benefits?

Been away visiting family for a week, so not logged in here.
Eaten junk food all week and not exercised once.

But catching up with the posts in here has kinda cheered me up (not the sugar saga obviously).
Despite being out of shape, and overweight, I still comfortably get into my 34" waist jeans.

Just need to work on the 36 DD cup issue now

1 Like

Any diet tips particularly on calorie control

Let me start with the disclaimer that diet and dietary considerations are very individual. What works for me may not work for you. You need to experiment and see what works. That’s how I eventually arrived at my optimal diet.

That being said, I’m eating 1600 calories a day. I’m not restricting any type of food, just the total calorie count.
I tend to go for a mix of proteins and carbs with some fat but I don’t track my macros minutely.

KEY: Find out what foods give you the most satiety/low calorie balance. And mix up your diet or your palate will get bored and you’re likely to lapse.

I’m also burning 1600 calories a day. Mostly through weight training and football-based HIIT workouts. It took me time to build up the stamina to be able to get to this point, before that I had to plod along on the elliptical for at least a couple of hours a day.

Hope that helps @Noo_Noo

4 Likes

It does but also highlights the difficulties of food choices and sanity! Already being in a strict diet going another step is proving difficult.

Interested to see how you track calories eaten / used.

MyFitnesspal for calorie consumption and Apple Watch for calorie burn

You have to change your perception of what food is for you. It’s fuel. It’s a means to an end. Yes you enjoy if but it can’t be your be-all-end-all.

It’s a cliche but it’s true. You have to eat to live and not live to eat

For simplification - ignore the calorie burn.

1. the data are garbage
  2. the compensation for calories burned from physical activity is extensive, even more so when you’re in a calorie deficit.

Yeah it’s more a motivational tool really

I’ve seen a marked change in my body shape/face once I transitioned to more weight training and interval training. I can tell I’m getting stronger as I can lift/push more weight with less rest and I recover from maximal efforts more quickly. And both my resting and maximal effort heart rates have reduced significantly.

1 Like

Kinda thought the same of my Garmin, I dont take the data as gospel.
Same as treadmills, running 5km burns +/- 480 calories, walking 5km burns exactly the same calorie total.
Cant possibly right can it?

1 Like

Commercial cardio equipment can be decent, but has significant variability across brands and types and are subject to drift over time (i.e. never calibrated). But accelerometer type stuff, especially when dealing with intermittent activity, is really not worth paying attention to.

The walking vs running calculation isnt as far off as you’d imagine though. The higher rate of energy expenditure when running is largely offset by having to do it for longer when walking. It wont be exactly the same, but it’ll still be ballpark. Technically the biomechanics of running is more energy intensive for the same speed as walking, but treadmills wont factor that in as it doesnt know when you’re walking vs running so it tends to use a prediction equation that lands in the middle.

As far as treadmills go these days, I know with 100% certainty that I’ve burned more than I’ve consumed during the period of activity.

just picked up some floor protection for what will be a small home gym. flat/incline bench with weights, bike and treadmill to start. have about 11sq.m to work with.

dad has a blowflex I may try to integrate as well.

1 Like

I would guess it would be less extensive for someone who is severely overweight, which I’m guessing Koptician was given how much he’s aiming to lose.

Do you have any info/research on the matter?