Losing the midriff "wobble" or the TAN diet/exercise thread

The Wire Wtf GIF

Find food items that are going to make you feel full but not so calorific that it leaves you with slim pickings for the rest of the day because you’ve used up too much of your daily allocation. Variety is important as well. Have a few staples that you mix up every other day. Otherwise you’ll get bored and break your diet

1 Like

Someone sticky this.

1 Like

So I’m 6’ and just over 90kg…down from 99kg about two months ago. Aim is low-80s/high-70s…will see what happens when I get there.

I’ve said on here before how shit my job has been, since March 2020 and the advent of wfh, I was living at work rather than working from home. It took over my life and my health suffered to the point I developed DVT and will be on Rivaroxaban for the foreseeable. Add a toddler and a baby into the above mix and looking after myself like I used to got really tough.

Anyways…training for a half-ironman, this will be my fourth, with a plan to do a full in 2024 (have attempted one before, but pulled out 120km into the ride coz I couldn’t stop vomiting).

Kids are getting older, starting to feel like myself again, and getting out of my job in Jan for a much better work life balance.

2 Likes

yep that’s the trick and where I’ve struggled and continue to do so. Going vege / vegan has added a whole extra layer of difficulty to that for me. But the last couple of weeks have been positive. My food has used a lot more stuff like lentils, tofu etc. over this period and it seems to be doing the trick. Far less urge to dive for the biscuit tin.

My position is similar to @SBYM’s but over a longer timeframe. Diagnosed with kidney problems in 2014 (when I was actually pretty fit) and peaked at a weedy 11.5 stone (73 kg), new kiddy that same year, pushed over the edge at work in 2017, jumped into new and equally bad job, then Covid came with the cycle of work, sleep, eat in whatever order that was available at the time.

Dec 2021 new job, new life but struggled with knowing what to do and how to make it work. No doubt things will evolve but I’m happy at last with the direction. Once again I find myself studying climbing theory videos, looking and discussing bikes (no cheaty bikes for me), exercise regimes, recipes etc. Everything is just a whole lot more positive.

2 Likes

Sorry couldn’t resist :wink:

Slacked off majorly … Again…

Will start Jan… It’s not a new year resolution or anything. Just become uber lazy around winter

Lost 4kg this month but gained back .5 since Christmas. :see_no_evil:

1 Like

I’ve managed to be reasonably well behaved over the Christmas period. Still doing gym visits, good long walks up mountains and a run or two. Eating wise I haven’t been too crazy either.

I’m not going to go near the scales though, but will ramp up the diet again this weekend. I’m kind of staying away from a timescale I think as I still struggle with my diet requirements. I do want to eat cleaner. That’s my personal goal.

Training wise I’m reasonably happy with progress. I had clearly got myself into a bit of a mess. Fixing that has given me a boost for sure. Definitely more strength and stamina now.

Looking to concentrate on building on improving strength to weight ratio more than physique as such.

3 Likes

My running stats for 2022.

2 Likes

Was at 104kg start of October 2022. Ended the year at 82kgs and 12% body fat.

Aim is 75kg and 9% body fat.

Not far off now. :muscle:t3:

4 Likes

Two and a half months actually

1600 calories per day to consume. I gave myself leeway to get upto 1675 if need be. No restrictions on what I eat, although I found foods that make me feel full. Which mostly ended up being proteins I like. Cheeses, eggs, beef, chicken.

(Measured on Apple Watch) burned a minimum of 1650 calories a day. Vast majority via weight training and high speed interval training. Football based. So multi-directional sprints, practicing skills with the ball, wall pass drills (inside, outside, top of both feet) etc. plyometrics (box jumps, depth jumps, medicine ball work, broad jumps).

No treadmill, no elliptical. Nothing steady state. Unless it’s the walk to the tube station to get to work. I did use the treadmill for dead treadmill runs (treadmill is off, you push the belt with your legs only for an max effort sprint for 15 seconds)

And football twice a week.

3 Likes

Went to work early December and started well.
Run every other day and ate sensibly.
Had to leave work after 10 days as my missus was ill, done fuck all since.
Eaten shite like no tomorrow, but on the plus side, only alcohol I’ve had since 10th December is one can of Guinness.

Back to the drawing board…again :roll_eyes:

Anyone know of any decent calorie calculators?

Time to add a little science.

I can only talk about what worked for me. The Apple Watch is decent. I don’t know about Fitbit or Garmin or the Samsung one.

What matters is that whatever you pick is consistent. You can compare it with what you get on a treadmill or an elliptical after putting in your weight and age. As long as it’s in the ballpark you’re good to go.

For calorie consumption tracking you can’t go wrong with MyFitnessPal

What exactly are you referring to?

Estimating the calories you burn with exercise? Estimating how much you should be eating? Tracking what you actually are eating?

Eating tracker. At this stage I’m not massively concerned about calories burned, it’s better than it used to be, but I have a small mountain of work in knowing and understanding my calorie consumption. Nutrient input may also be useful given my kidney issues.

Hard part will be building a little personal database of meals and what their calorie values are.

It’s more of that trying to build healthy habits.

MyFitnessPal

Any one you choose there will be a learning curve of having to find the foods you’re eating and entering, but most of them will get easier very quickly with the way they make recently/commonly entered foods easily available.

MacroFactor is the best I’ve experienced, both in terms of ease of logging and the appropriateness of the algorithms (selecting your targets, personalizing, and then adjusting based on progress). It is a premium app though and with the number of viable free alternatives it might not be worth it for many to pay a monthly fee. I’d definitely start with a free version for a few days to see if tracking is going to work for you and see what feature pros and cons you value before trying a paid option. As for which one, I dont think it matters. There are tons of viable free options.