Losing the midriff "wobble" or the TAN diet/exercise thread

The biggest issue is the way it adds other people’s entries to their database, which when coupled with the size of its user base means that searches will often produce too many results, often with lots of bad entries included. A better balance between customization of items and quality control of their library is beneficial. Especially now the QR Code reader is not available on the free version.

QR code? I regularly use the barcode reader function to get the official calorie count of products and I use the free version.

If you have a look at a number of the items you mention, you can come up with a good idea what the general number of calories should be, not that difficult. Whenever in doubt, go for the higher calorie value to be safe.

It’s a recent change.

Sure, there are ways around it. But when there are so many good alternatives why force yourself to deal with the hassle. The main think MFP has going for it is name recognition and people who have been using it for a while may be reluctant to change. But there are much more streamlined alternatives these days.

What are these alternatives? I’m guessing this barcode paywalling is for the US AppStore/pay store because I can still scan barcodes with the free version in the UK. Or maybe it’s being rolled out here later.

Yeah that would be a dealbreaker for me

I’m not sure. I havent seen anything mentioned about it being region specific, even on their own page

In terms of free alternatives Ive heard good things about Chronofactor

Currently trying Chronometer and that, so far seems to meet my needs I think.

Entering the fun world of UK screwed up measuring units versus equally mess with your head US units.

Anyone with any suggestions for

1. Treating tendonitis

2. Dealing with large strength imbalances. In brief, my left bicep is much weaker than my right but the reverse is true when considering the tricep. So much so that bench press is being heavily limited by that weak right tricep.

I’ve been very lacking of late in my fitness bit… Needless to say , will start upon it soon.

Dealing with large strength imbalances. In brief, my left bicep is much weaker than my right
[/quote]

:flushed: Too much Information me thinks @Noo_Noo
You might just be giving your hobby away there…! :smirk:

1 Like

Unilateral exercises instead of bilateral for dealing with strength imbalances.

Is it possible to swap out the bench press for a dumbell press?

What’s causing the tendonitis? I used to get it from squatting until I adjusted my grip and improved shoulder mobility.

All those years playing darts has done me no good. :wink:

1 Like

You’re left handed I’m guessing?

Yes no problem swapping in dumbbells etc. Even some of the machines at the gym I use are independent on your arms. It’s a frustration more than ever as I’m increasingly liking the bigger more compound exercises.

Re the tendonitis, I have it in my achilles and running aggregates it. I’ve noticed some improvement with strapping during the run and in bed. Years of a desk job hasn’t helped.

More frustrating is my elbow. That’s a result of the weight training initially but a shitty climb / bouldering session properly screwed it up. I strap it and stay away from aggregating exercises, front and lateral raises for example, but it’s proving to be a slow recuperation process.

No, Right handed which makes it all the more bizarre in some ways. I’ve been aware of it for years and I suspect some of it is a coordination thing. In my rugby days I had to work stupid hard to get my passing off my left hand up to scratch. Same with kicking a ball with my left.

Frustrating as hell doing pull up pull down exercise or bicep curls and failing on your left side first and then the complete opposite (and even worse) when doing tricep curls or any pressing exercises etc.

My right bicep is more pronounced than my left but it’s the other way round on triceps.

1 Like

Have you tried a theraband for the elbow? Lots of people online swear by them. I used one myself for a bit last year but I can’t really say if it helped or not, maybe a little bit.

It essentially just mimics forearm exercises but at a more gentle resistance. I don’t know whether it’s addressing strength imbalances or the increased blood flow to the area which is supposed to be the mechanism of action but they seem to do something. Might be worth a try, they’re not expensive.

1 Like

The only reliable way to address tendinitis is to work through it, but at a much reduced level of stress that caused it to occur. There can be an element of movement dysfunction (squatting incorrectly, wearing beaten up shoes etc) that you have to address, but while this is necessary it is not sufficient. You still need to find that entry point of the work you can tolerate in your current situation and then work up sensibly.

For the strength imbalance, outside of a neurological or anatomical issue, this is just he nature of being untrained.For someone with a lot of training under their belt and the strength to show for it then the approach to addressing it can require nuance, but for someone just getting started (or back into it) then you just need to train. The gains in strength that are readily available to you with even trivially productive training will make you weak side very quickly far stronger than the strong side is now.

In addition, as a rule of thumb the longer the tendinitis has been around, the longer it will take to go away. And that is the challenge, avoiding the temptation to ramp back up again too quickly on the first sign of improvement sending yourself back to square one.

1 Like

Shoes! I’ve got a pair of approach shoes which are ok but the level of heel support is shocking and I hurt every time after wearing them. Being consigned to the bin I think.

Shame.