Losing the midriff "wobble" or the TAN diet/exercise thread

And Dairylea

You hear a lot that the dietary guidelines are what caused all our chronic health problems with obesity, diabetes and heart disease. Yet this article points to the fallacy of that argument

Two in five adults dont get the recommended amount of physical activity and government programs designed to help reduce barriers to achieving that level have failed to have any impact.

Likewise, the average US adult is only 60% adherent to the dietary guidelines. The means 50% of adults are less than 60% adherant. You dont get to the blame the guidelines for bad outcomes when no one follows them.

I’m curious as to how the government is responsible for me getting off my fat arse.

I’m curious how anyone can interpret policy designed to make undertaking an action easier as being one about the government being “responsible” for what you do.

1 Like

So my recalcitrance to excercise is something that the government should address?

No one has suggested any such thing. It’s just a thoroughly bizarre response.

So why does the government have these programs? I’m very much of the opinion that your life, your health, your wellbeing etc is absolutely your responsibility.

This really is the dumbest response imaginable to this comment.

A barrier is something that makes doing something harder. Barriers to physical activity might be things like a lack of pavements in a community making safe walking difficult. Bike lanes that do not connect through busy sections of road making the entirety of the trail practically far less usable than they should be. Community leisure centers not being open early enough for people to use them before work. Programs designed to address these issues so it is easier for people to get their exercise does not take the responsibility away from the individual for actually doing it.

2 Likes

Duty of care. The government’s prime purpose is to provide and manage for the citizens they oversee. That means access and infrastructure across the board. That doesn’t mean " you shall do 50 press-ups at 7am preciselybefore reporting for work at 0815hrs promptly"

This is why imo the Tories fail as their prime focus is the free market. Don’t know if Labour would be any better. It also raises questions about the whole UK political system i think. Too much is lost in the system at moment rather than feeding back to society.

Shift all the Greggs to retail parks outside town with no parking.
Simple

1 Like

You have a very poor imagination.

Re-joining a gym today, and taking this fellas advice.

1 Like

Do please share with the group :slight_smile:

It wont paste, but in hindsight probably a good thing.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-022-04505-7

They are amazing. I was a bit taken a back by the article title because ever since Friedman’s publication of his leptin paper in 94 that opened up the adipostatic model of energy balance, the field of obesity has been obsessed with finding one of the hormones involved that could be used as a drug. It is had failed over and over again, and so I think maybe the only thing that has surprised scientists about the success of this class is that we’d become jaded into thinking we’d never find one that actually worked.

As an aside, what is remarkable about these is the qualitative effects you see. Patients who report having failed diets over and over again because they can never keep their hunger at bay when following them, all of a sudden reporting that for the first time in their lives they feel the experience of being able to eat and feel satisfied.

1 Like

5 a side tonight. If I go awol I’m in casualty……

Reluctantly gave up fives about 3 years ago.
Legs and lungs still up to it, but with no ACL or meniscus , the twisting and turning is a bit risky.

so this week I’ve started a yoga routine to try and loosen up my hips/lower back which I’ve neglected after 25+ yrs of desk work. I’ve quit footy this year so need to keep active.

here’s the routine which I’m working with to start. pretty simple stuff to get started and can do this in my morning breaks of work day, do a few moves then break.

in a week or two will be adding bodyweight exercises and trying to find a treadmill for the home gym.

3 Likes

Simply more moving (walking) then moving to running and now integrating weight / resistance training has done me the world of good on that front. A few bumps along the way but the difference in me now to 12months ago is pretty big. Not so much visually yet but definitely in strength, stamina and no back pain etc.

2 Likes