Losing the midriff "wobble" or the TAN diet/exercise thread

been playing sports actively since I was 5yo, body really doesn’t like it when I take a break. I can feel myself aging from not running 2-3x a week. has happened a few times before at 26 (tore up my ankle), 31 (broken cheekbone a-la Schevchenko), and 42 when my Achilles tore.

I’m still mostly healthy thus quitting footy while I don’t need anything more than preventative maintenance. so many guys I’ve played with for years now needing surgery due to knees, hips wearing out. or injuries from playing on new turf pitches at 8pm on a Friday night when it’s just above freezing. Nope…

3 Likes

It crept up on me. From fit, to fit but poorly conditioned to full let go, back to stupid lean and fit and back again to naff all. Time has passed so quickly you just don’t realise how far you’ve fallen.

I 100% know this feeling, all too well. creeping up on 50 in a few years.

3 Likes

Yup. I was super fit when I got married…then it was a very slow decline with spurts of fitness increase. Then when I got divorced after 14 years I got jolted into getting very fit again. Then gained it back and worse during the pandemic, being gym-dependent and all. Got married again during the pandemic (which didn’t even last 11 month…dodged a long-term bullet there phew)…that took a lot of getting over mentally and I let myself go until I got mentally right.

Thankfully now I’m probably fitter in terms of running endurance and pace than I was is 2019. And nearly at my weight and body composition goals

4 Likes

Progress!

Down 6lbs in the last week since counting calories started. Basically it works.

Still a long way to go as I want to build a good level of cardiovascular fitness (over 50 VO2 max estimated) but the biggest challenge will be a full rework of my strength to weight ratio. It’s currently pitiful. Improving though.

2 Likes

Made a start after renewing gym membership.
Leisurely 1000m swim before 18 holes of golf.

2 Likes

The only way I’m swimming 1000m is by being shit at maths.

Really got a bug for 5 a side now. Actually going back over all the passes I fucked up. Still reasonable in goals but my knees are wondering why I wasn’t wearing pads. Just need to get the lads to change the rules and I’ll be god in a sports hall.

what do you need kneepads for in footy? :laughing:

Goals on a wood floor.

I’d wear knee pads for that too

As you get older it’s crucially important to look after joints, especially hips and knees. Problems with those can curtail any fitness regimen

Which one is you?

1 Like

All of them :slight_smile:

Well you should be banned from ever entering this thread again

You should be so lucky :rofl:

Probably best here. Self control is so important……

2 Likes

:roll_eyes:
FML

My mum used to make a fruit cake for us when we were kids…
You think of a vitamin that was on the market at the time and you could bet your house they were crushed up and added to the ingredients…
We didn’t know any of this at the time… still tasted yummy though and we could eat as much as we wanted, because as she used to say… “It is full of goodness”

This tyre reminded me of a slice of my mums fruitcake and its effects when I saw this video…! :0)

Started running again after 2 months or so of slacking off.

Need to start again w.r.t the times etc.

Barely completing 8km in 42 min odd now. Let the slog begin. The pro is that this is only my second day back running so can only get better

2 Likes

I’d give my left bollock to be able to run 8km in 42 minutes

1 Like