Losing the midriff "wobble" or the TAN diet/exercise thread

when I was training at SFU in my late teens (granted, 30yrs ago) our conditioning coach was very specific about compounding muscle groups. IE Back and biceps same day. Chest and triceps same day. Because you’re working the same muscle groups doing chest and triceps exercises you’ll get more out of that session. some cardio at the start to get the blood flowing, pyramid our weights and last set to failure. it was early in sport science back then, a few guys were putting creatine in their shakes but nothing like today. if I were to go back to the gym, I’d be taking BCAA’s after every workout.

try throwing in a random day of calisthenics (body weight exercises) if you can find a good program you like.

I see a lot of people following that strategy and I’ve nothing against it. I decided many many years ago to split things a bit so to try and maximise working the major muscles by not working the corresponding arm muscle. Basically giving your chest (for example) a chance to fatigue before your arms do. That’s the theory anyway. Is it worthwhile or efficient? I couldn’t say but I’ve benefitted from the approach. I would have with the other routine as well to be fair.

Sorry I don’t know what BCAA’s are. I’d be extremely cautious given my kidney issues.

Anyway swapped things up a little today and I’ll go with it for now. See how it goes. I’ve limited my morning sessions to a couple of exercises per muscle group doing 4 sets with the last 2 sets to failure. Then follow that up with 20 minutes cardio.

So a little less volume on the resistance training and a bit more cardio. Blood test week I’ll just walk.

I’m also doing a major diet clean up. Full and strict vegan to start. If my next set of results are still down I may look at further restrictions based on a diet i know of that’s given some people some success in improving creatinine levels. Quite remarkably in some cases.

Sorry long post.

1 Like

Proteins are made up of amino acids. BCAAs are the specific group of amino acids that signal the muscle to start using the protein to repair itself and grow. They periodically come in and out of fashion as a stand alone supplement, but you really only need a small amount of them, amounts that are routinely found in the diet, to get the max effect of them so its rare people will get benefit from them.

Repeating the point made before - the point of the test is not what your creatinine values are, but what you can infer about your GFR from those values. Taking measures to get your values down rather than getting your GFR up not only will do nothing for your health it will make it harder to properly evaluate your GFR moving forward.

1 Like

True, which is partly why I’m hoping that the latest result is a combination of things rather than any actual deterioration. Other than the rest prior to a blood test the diet is a wholly sensible move from looking after what I have left perspective. I had become a little too casual about it after 9 years of being very stable. I have dipped once to a similar level and got back up and I’m hoping for the same again. I had a nice jump up at one point too.

Being honest I need more regular monitoring to keep me on my toes but my previous stability has worked against me on that front. NHS woes etc.

very true, diet is everything. when I was doing long days playing tournaments and suffered from muscle fatigue, I got a lot out of a good shake at the end of day.

Shake Your Booty Pluto GIF by Amo Cruzeiro Disney

that wouldn’t hurt either. nothing like a little calisthenics to loosen things up.

I was initially hesitant to post that because “wtf is going on in front”…then I realised it was Pluto’s derrière

:person_shrugging:

Why Every Judge On TV Backed This Product (epochybeauty.com)

Nothing beats a good shake

Shaking Slow Motion GIF

2 small victories following a bit of a saga these last month

A short time ago a blood test raised concerns about declining kidney function. A good rest and a diet review has returned that to my normal level (all be it a severely lower than normal one).

But that second test revealed a very high potassium level. Typically my renal team went a bit nuclear on it which I was disappointed with to be honest but I understand their position. I’ve mellowed after being a bit pissed about it.

That’s now back to normal as well with an even a better kidney function (not really, just better numbers). Victory 1.

I’ve now used all of that to successfully argue for more regular testing and on line access to my results so I can actually tweak my diet accordingly. Basically eating to numbers. Victory 2.

Looks like I’m also being looked at for a new drug which shows some good results for managing my condition. We’ll see on that.

So back in the gym this morning. Newly tweaked diet and most importantly more motivation. I’m not having a repeat of this last week / month if I have anything to do with it.

4 Likes

Was on a treadmill for a little over a year and wanted to switch to cardio with more of the body involved. So, got my hands on a used Rowerg and started a 24-week plan. After the first couple days felt like I was doing something wrong as I was barely breaking a sweat. Day 3: turns out I was just super focused on form and going rather slow. Picked up the pace a bit, left me drenched after 25 minutes. Hope it helps strengthen my core. Started some very basic yoga as well to supplement that.

Yoga is the best. Love the feeling after a hard workout and a good stretch.

These days as soon as l lie on the floor, the kids think that is an invitation to play ‘jump on daddy’…

2 Likes

Tbh, I don’t know how much yoga I’m actually doing. Half the time my reaction is “yeah no my body can’t do that.” Hoping to stay motivated and get through the first few stiff weeks.

30 years ago it had the same effect on my wife……

I’ve always found rowing a strange exercise. You go at it for 20 minutes etc. going quite hard but you’re feeling ok and comfortable. You finish and instantly feel like you’ve been hit by a bus.

Stretching and yoga has to come into my routine going forward. Looking at another snowboard trip again next year so I need to improve my flexibility, balance and ability to move my weight from one foot to another through various ranges of motion. Time to start doing a lot more snowboard tricks and stuff.

1 Like

Yeah, expected to be sore all over the first couple mornings after but I’ve been feeling fine so far.

As for the yoga, I can’t keep up with the inhale/exhale patterns. I’m really in terrible shape for it atm. All the more reason to stick to it.

I find rowing to be the opposite. I don’t run anymore but if needed to could still do a 5:30 mile (just dont ask my hips to do anything in the next 5 days), but you put me on a rower and I am gassed in 3 mins

get a wobble board and practice doing squats, and lunges with your front foot on it. helps strengthen your stabilizers and overall balance.

my morning yoga routine takes about 10min before I sit down to work. still doing the treadmill 15-20min a day, brisk walk while I am monitoring my screens.

front fold > back bend > d.dog > low lunge > mudhra > full crescent > baby > warrior

My problem will be twofold. Firstly, having the flexibility of an average concrete block. I’ve never been “bendy” and never really worked on improving it.

Secondly will be having a sit down job in the main.

Saying that the resistance training I’ve been doing over the last year has improved things for sure.

Not a bad idea. I had been toying with the idea of a snowboard training tool which is similar to a balance board but the cost for what it is, is utter madness. I might however just use an old snowboard I have, I could even cut it down a bit and use it with a foam roller.

1 Like