Luis Suarez (Luis Alberto Suarez)

cheeky 18mo contract, bring him back to Anfield as a super-sub? :slight_smile:

Wouldn’t surprise me to see him in the PL or at Bayern in January.

2 Likes

Won the European golden boot without a single penalty goal.

Only player except Messi to have more Goals/Assists than matches played in the 21st century.

Won 2 European golden boots in Messi and Ronaldo prime era, while also playing in the same league.

Third most assists in football history.

One of the best players ever, Luis Suarez.

6 Likes

Also one of the maddest motherfuckers who ever drew breath

2 Likes

Monster of a player.

Quite easily the second best player overall (could easily be first, too) and the best forward I’ve seen at Liverpool, it’s not even a discussion in my books.

Like I said recently, he was actually away from the top of football for a good first portion of his career, but then he killed it in the second part when he finally got there.

And still active, who knows what he might still add to his outstanding career.

Proud that we had him for at least a short while.

4 Likes

Though some of those facts are a bit strange.

He was European top scorer in 13/14 and 15/16. The first wasn’t in the same league as Messi & Ronaldo.

Assists in whole history are also hard to have 100% correct.

2 Likes

good stuff from Suarez,

i would expect any player to do the same in the final minute of a game,

if it meant preventing a defeat

10 Likes

I love it. It was a scandal I never understood. Yes it was outragously cynical, but he never tried to hide it. He did, took his punishment and then let the cards fall where they would.

6 Likes

if he did it against Liverpool though… :wink:

but thats football…

Phil Neville did exactly that. We scored the penalty though so few remember it. Interestingly, Neville tried initially to pretend he hadnt handled it.

2 Likes

He did a lot worse in his career!

What’s more, he did it for the team. Uruguay progressed while he took the fall.

1 Like

It was absolutely brilliant. I loved it.

I still remember the commentator going ballistic and calling him a cheat and saying he’d let down the whole of Africa.

Christ. It’s a football match. It wasn’t Suarez’ fault that Ghana fucked up the penalty.

6 Likes

The puritanical response to him celebrating the penalty miss was hysterical (in both senses of the word). The continued focus on it 12 years later makes that penalty miss in this game all the more sweet.

1 Like

I’m sure it says something terrible about me that my thought was immediately that I wouldn’t want to play with a teammate who wouldn’t take the red card in that situation

3 Likes

In a sense it is a form of cheating (same bracket as a player diving in the box for a pen), if that happened at club level between Barca and Liverpool which got Barca through the quarters that feeling of bitterness would be there despite Suarez not being at fault for Millie missing the pen.

But also it’s a bit of brilliance because I think 9 out of 10 players wouldn’t even think to do what he did, they’d have attempted to head it away instead…that deliberate quick thinking moment of madness will go down in World Cup history.

1 Like

I think the backlash was more about him celebrating the win in a way that endorses his own indiscretion. However, as much as I don’t care for him, I don’t see why the over arching bitterness. He broke the rules, he got punished, the team got punished as per the rules of the game, Ghana fail to capitalize on the punishment and Suarez has already paid the price for breaking the rules so its strange that he should be criticized for celebrating a win.

3 Likes

I think there is a form of paternalism towards the African sides and the fact he did it against Ghana, robbing them of a goal that would have broken a barrier for African football (the semis), was a big part of it.

There is also selective outrage, especially in the UK, over the things we get upset about. When Phil Neville does this Phil Neville got sent off - YouTube

Or Ole does this THE REAL HERO - Solskjaer EPIC RED CARD against Newcastle - YouTube

…they are seen as smart pros doing a calculated risk/reward calculation and taking one for the team. Have a South American doing exactly the same thing and everyone gets up in arms about the loss of the Etonian spirit and forever labels them as a dirty cheats.

5 Likes

He’s also ex Liverpool which doesn’t apply to the others mentioned.
Just another reason for the media and other shit heads to have a pop.