Luis Suarez (Luis Alberto Suarez)

I’m also pretty sure our English cousins have gotten over Maradona’s accidental handball in Mexico!

1 Like

One was blatant attempt to get away with a brazen ac of breaking the rules. They other wasnt. It’s not a good comparison. It’s that refusal to differentiate them based on that key issue that has confused me for 12 years now as its not even a particularly nuanced point.

1 Like

Suarez intentional bite to force his move to Barcelona massively changed my opinion on him.

Don’t think it helped him much.

Ask Liverpool FC at the time, I bet we would’ve kept him (if it was up to us) even if he bit 5 players at the WC.

He didn’t need to force much, it was a pretty natural move, we coudn’t do much but take as much money as we can and move on.

We’re the ones who invested that money pretty terribly.

Wasnt a handball,

It was a wonder piece of play! :wink:

He was the best player I’ve seen play live in a Liverpool shirt, it was a joy to watch every single time and I saw him about 6/7, I don’t think he ever had a bad game, his game against WBA stands out.

8 Likes

I was at Anfield when he knocked in 4 against Norwich, the best individual performance I’ve seen live.

Definitely the best player I’ve seen at Anfield as well. If we’d had him under Klopp we’d have pipped City to all these titles. Absolute phenom.

12 Likes

Recently saw those 4 goals again and that must be some of the best bunch of goals put together on a single day.

I remember Messi had some outrageous 3-4 in the CL against Arsenal and/or Leverkusen.

Sure, it was Norwich, but taking that aside for a moment… every goal is fantastic. Even the one he takes first time on a difficult left-footed volley from a corner.

3 Likes

In that Season with us he was the best player in the world - not only because of the goals he scored.

He’s still the second best player I’ve seen in a Liverpool shirt (but definitely the most outrageously skilled and the hardest working one) - but that 2013/14 season has to be the best I’ve seen from an individual in Premier League. Arsenal and Man United fans might disagree, of course, but what he did during that season can’t be put into words (and Henry and C. Ronaldo definitely did not harry defences into oblivion like he did).

The only problem I have with him is that he reminds me of everything that was wrong with Liverpool back then - too reliant on one player, embarrassing themselves while trying to appease him (I’ll never forget his behaviour when he got subbed on in a friendly in Melbourne, I think, when the stadium was filled with some 90 thousand people who couldn’t wait to see Liverpool live), unable to keep him and build the team around him, wasting literally every penny the club got for him when they eventually sold him…

I agree with people who say that we’d have been unplayable had Klopp had prime Suarez in his team. Imagine having a possessed Firmino who scores and assists 40+ goals per season from literally every part of the pitch…

6 Likes

Not only was he an exceptional player,

He was a winner,

someone who wanted to win every game he played in and would do whatever it took to do it

Loved watching him play for us,

Gutted when he left, but happy for him that he won so much after leaving even if it was at Barca

8 Likes

Yup that was the other I had in my mind, I think I remember WBA more because we did nothing until a wonder strike and then he just controlled it if I remember rightly.

I agree with this under previous managers to Klopp we seemed focus on one player and it hurt us if he was injured or out of form.

Wasn’t directly comparing but both incidents are trying to gain an advantage by means outside the laws of the game. Both are deliberate handball. Both players achieved their objective as a result of their actions.

I’m uncertain as to the hysteria over the Suarez one. Had the peno been scored then nothing more would have been said. Had the Maradona one been spotted (how did the linesman not see it) and a free out been given then also nothing more would have been said obviously. Both players did whatever it took to win and never portrayed themselves as Mr. Nice Guy who never cheats…unlike that dog in the street Henry! :joy:

1 Like

And you will never see a better 4 goals scored in a match by a player!!!

9 years ago today :astonished:

10 Likes

Looks like a reunion with Lucas at Grêmio. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I didn’t know he left Nationale. I am surprised he didn’t go to the MLS.

1 Like

should have signed for Liverpool FC of Montevideo,

top of the league to…

1 Like