Luis Suarez (Luis Alberto Suarez)

Players we’ve gone for but not got under Klopp:

Draxler (we refused his wage demands)
Alex Teixeira (selling club kept upping fee, we pulled out)
Goretzka (preferred Bayern)
Brandt (preferred to stay for another season at Bayer Leverkusen)
Lewis (pulled out to sign Tsimikas)
Werner (became bad value)
Lemar (pulled out over price)
Fekir (medical)
Zieliński (pulled out)
Pulisic (Dortmund said no)

Adding a further category to include players where we’ve ‘put the feelers out’ but never formally put an offer in for, AFAIK [updating as more come to mind]:

Mbappé
Götze
Dembélé
Havertz
Kanté
Kovačić
Jorginho
Richarlison
Chilwell
Guerreirro
Sancho
Gündoğan
Sané
Süle

Of course, there are loads more of these but these are the only ones I can currently recall and most approaches we’re not even aware of.

3 Likes

I’d add Dembele and Goetze as well, pretty sure it was reported that Klopp had met with both but that they had already agreed moves to Dortmund. I have a feeling I’m forgetting someone else, too, these two were off the top of my head.

Gotze as well, may not have gone as far as a formal offer, perhaps why you didn’t include it, but given what both parties at the time were saying, it seems clear a discussion took place at the least, with the player refusing to commit without the promise of CL football (which was still undecided then iirc). We moved on, and likely bullet dodged tbh.

1 Like

Perhaps also Mbappe. We’d reportedly been keeping tabs on him for years and iirc we’d even spoken to him about a move, but opted for PSG instead.

What about Marko Reus???

For me those two are more expressions of interest. We put the feelers out, nothing more. You could include Mbappé in that group. Havertz as well.

If I remember correctly, there was a story prior to his breakthrough about Klopp meeting with him but Mbappe ultimately deciding to stay with Monaco. I remember watching some low resolution of his performances for Monaco’s youth sides because it was the only available video of him! After that summer, he became a part of Monaco’s first team and the rest is history.

1 Like

Ah, that sounds right. I’d still include him on the list then as we spoke to him about a move but were turned down.

Klopp did try to get Gotze i reckon.

That was my recollection too. I’m sure he wanted to wait to see what happened with the Europa League final.

2 Likes

Looks like Farca have now caved in and Luis is off to Atleti.

1 Like

Looking foreword to him scoring a few against Barca.

Him and Costa will be fun. :joy:

Two sharks. :shark: :shark:

They’ll both spend more time on the bench than playing, and they’ll be stuck trying to get their goals from Correa, Felix and the guy who just came back from China.

Not sure, I still see one of them starting regularly (how well they play, we’ll have to see, Costa didn’t have a good season, or in general since he came back from England). Felix is more of a second striker/false 9 anyway, Carrasco is a winger, Correa is a pacy inside forward who doesn’t score many goals. Still, it will be interesting. I’m not really excited over any (big) Spanish club at the moment. The sad fact is that nobody will move them out of the top 3.

What I meant is that they barely have a fit pair of legs between them these days and so I’d be surprised if they could be relied upon. Best reasonable scenario is that one of them is fit when they other isnt.

Yeah, but just having them in the same squad… there will be trouble.

:joy:

1 Like

Maybe sinking them in the quarterfinals of the CL with a goal at Camp Nou

First AM v. Barca match will be worth watching.

5 Likes