Mark Clattenburg and favouritism

Seen a few comments in a couple of threads about the Mark Clattenburg comments on how Man Utd were given favourable decisions.

so thought it might be worth opening a thread to discuss his comments, and what action might be taken by the FA if any (which i doubt)

We, at times have all complained, moaned, and joked, about the decisions Man Utd were getting under Fergie during some games , probably through frustration, anger, or bitterness

But to hear a match official actually come out and say that Man Utd under Fergie were shown favouritism is a bit of a WOW moment for me.

and raises a few questions…

Why did the official show favouritism to Man Utd?

How favourable were the decisions?

When did it start, and how long did it last? (I assume until Fergie retired)

How often were Man Utd helped by the officials?

How many of these favourable decisions helped win Man Utd games, Cups and EPL titles
(it might explain why they were so shit In Europe, no English ref to assist them!)

Whats the FA’s opinion on the comments?

And from a LFC point of few, how many favourable decision were given to Man Utd during 08/09?
did they cost us a title?

IMO Clattenburg might have opened a can of worms with his comments,
as he has just called the integrity of EPL football into question .

3 Likes

Not sure we can call it an admission. It was more of an off the cuff remark. He said something like “Maybe they did (get favoritism) under Ferguson, but not since he’s retired.”

A stupid and inflammatory thing to say, but i don’t know that you can class it as an admission, maybe just some speculation on Clattenberg’s part. He wasn’t a PL ref during Fergie’s tenure, was he? Maybe at the very tail end of it.

2 Likes

Points deduction and a fine.
Hopefully it wont be too much of a problem for us paying the fine and coping with the lost points.

4 Likes

He was a PL ref from 2004 to 2017. Ferguson retired in 2013. So, it’s an admission for me. If he says that favouritism took place in favour of Ferguson’s teams, then it must be true, as he was a full part of it during years.

7 Likes

It’s quite astonishing indeed. I wonder what might have prompted him into stating this. He must have known that it wouldn’t go down unnoticed.

3 Likes

I always found it “interesting” that a United board member sat on the PL table. That always sounded off to me, especially when you had such a forceful character like Fergie in charge. It felt like it was an avenue to mold the narrative to their will.

It’s also true that most refs of that time were terrified of him. I include Clattenburg in that.

Lets just say, all of that created a lot of smoke

3 Likes

If the Premier League Hierarchy had any integrity, they should haul Clattenburg into some sort of account to clear up these comments (or maybe even allegations) to dispel the shenanigans once and for all.
We have to remember, Slur Alex with his bacon faced complexion, purpled nose, neck vein throbbing rants at the referee’s as they walked off the pitch, had no VAR in play to prove Fergie’s Law account of what was right or wrong…
More a case that those shouted loudest got their own way!

5 Likes

Well it’s only gone unnoticed by LFC fans hasn’t it? I don’t see much furore anywhere else. Nothing will come of it.

2 Likes

Can I just ask, that before this thread gets closed, whenever that is, it runs on for 9 further minutes.

3 Likes

I started reading and had to run off to the toilet as I nearly pissed myself.
I`ve had a really bad few days and that made me laugh.

2 Likes

Fixed It For You

4 Likes

Why would you wish that on us?
I think you misread my post :grin:

2 Likes

Bollocks!!!

Missed that last bit

4 Likes

That`s Mr.Bollocks to you :grin:

1 Like

1 Like

Aye fair dues

2 Likes

Gill sat on the FA board which of course appoints the refs

3 Likes

Whole english Referee guild is a disgrace.

7 Likes

Clattenburg calling Klopp a hypocrite.

Wasn’t he the ref who quit working on the highest level for amateur football in Saudi Arabia?

Being a referee used to be something honorable but this guy has being venal all over him.

3 Likes

Yeah on second thoughts, the man’s a cunt.

6 Likes