Michael Edwards

Real Madrid are one of the greatest names and most successful sides in the sport. No doubt if he’s going there it won’t be for low wages either. The challenge there would be to box clever. They are facing a massive rebuild. Yes they will want to try and sign a Galactico or two per year, that’ll be where most of the money and wages will go. But someone like Edwards would be invaluable for the rest. They won’t be able to fully rebuild with only Galactico signings and academy graduates. They clearly need some fresh thinking there if you look at some of their transfer business over the last few years. Temptation for Edwards would be obvious, help one of the biggest clubs in the world create a new dynasty of success with vast resources to utilise all while being paid a kings ransom. If true can’t blame the guy, better opportunity than the one he has here.

His biggest challenge would be dealing with the presidents whims and wishes.

1 Like

Limit that to the Galactico signings. Form the team out of the players there, the academy graduates and the intelligent acquisitions Edwards selects for them.

1 Like

I heard he is going to Formula 1 and help Toyota win the title with a Corolla with his wheeling and dealing.

Clubs like Real Madrid etc won’t have the time and patience needed. Plus they change managers ever so quickly. It would probably be a double edged sword for Edwards if he was to go there. But I’d rather he go overseas than stay and strengthen some other team in the PL.

2 Likes

I’ve got a sinking feeling that he’ll end up with Newcastle.

Wherever he is going I’d be pretty confident in saying that the deal is already done just not public knowledge.

Newcastle will be an i retesting project for any sporting director / manager because of the huge funds they can just spunk up against the wall

Doesn’t matter where he goes. We got Klopp.

3 Likes

First order of business at Madrid, sign Divock Origi for £75m and pull the contract offer for Mbappe leaving him Liverpool as his preferred option.

2 Likes

I’d be surprised if he takes up another Sporting Director role so soon but you never know.

1 Like

He has catagorically said he won’t, so I doubt he goes back on that.

Of course a club of that size, it’s not only Perez at Real (even if he is quite a figure), there’s Jose Angel Sanchez (who’s been somewhat linked with departure before, but is still there) working beneath him. So my guess is that Edwards would work strictly in a footballing role (not that he does anything much different here), beneath Sanchez, who is more for general stuff.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s the key point. As long as we have Kloppo, everything is fine.

Yeah, it’s not like he’s announced the date of his departure from the club or anything…

curls up and cries a lot

1 Like

Hasn’t he also suggested recently that 2024 is too far way to be talking about it…

2 Likes

This. I don’t think he is going anywhere to essentially do the job he’s done at Liverpool.

He isn’t a football manager, where that’s the skill set and the job you do. Sometimes in football people have a tendency to think in those terms. He’ll be looking to advance his career and find the next challenge.

I really wouldn’t be surprised to see him rock up an association or governing body.

2 Likes

Even if he did take on another Sporting Director role (which I don’t think he will), the positive work he’s done here will go on. He’s worked closely with a lot of people at the club, who have all worked together to advance the club.

That shouldn’t stop with him leaving, unless FSG do something calamitous, such as bring in a new Sporting Director who has a vastly different approach. But we know that the club have hired from within to ensure some level of continuity. Of course, changes at the top level of the club always make us all uneasy, when things have been going in the right direction.

2 Likes

Mbappe extends for one year on July 1st, then gets miraculously swapped for Minamino the very next day. Oxlade-Chamberlain moves to PSG for 80 million pounds, including various clauses, to improve their midfield dynamism. Origi decides to snub Milan to move to Paris as PSG’s new manager. I don’t know about you, folks, but I personally don’t see it panning out any other way.

2 Likes

Can’t see PSG interesting him but you never know.

I can’t see how it works with them, I always expected him to head states side to be fair