Michael Edwards

Paris is a great world city and I could understand it if he wanted the experience. He would be well paid and presumably would have a real job to do, as so far they have just been a cheque book outfit.

A real job? playing FM with a cheat code isnā€™t a real job. Heā€™d lose a lot of respect if he did move to somewhere like PSG.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not sure he would.

1 Like

Iā€™ll still have respect for what he did but yeah a ā€œreal jobā€ I canā€™t see the two going together at Paris.

Hasnā€™t he mentioned that he was taking a break from football when he leaves LFC?

From me, not that means a lot haha.

A real jobā€¦ IF they want to evolve away from just being a cheque book club.

Iā€™m not burning any candle for PSG and they represent a lot that is wrong with the game, like Man City and now Newcastle. I would not take a job there, but if Edwards did, I was just trying to imagine the appeal. Yes of course the money, but also a beautiful world city, and also (speculatively on my part) the mandate to help them become a proper football club, with scouting, systems, procedures, player identification, value for moneyā€¦ all the things Edwards does that PSG do not do very well, as a cheque book club.

2 Likes

I donā€™t even think he would necessarily stay within football.

2 Likes

One interesting thing about football is the contrast in the stress of the working day between the players and everyone involved in the football side of the club. For a player, a long working day might be 6 hours. For everyone else involved in football behind the scenes, theyā€™d be regularly putting in 12+ hour days. I think that weighs the pull of the city differently if youā€™re a player with a ton of free time vs anyone else. A beautiful city you dont have time to enjoy isnt that much of a perk, especially a busy one that is difficult to get around and adds even more time your already packed day may not be the pull for these guys as it sounds.

EDIT: although Iā€™m pretty sure PSG are based a little bit out of the city so not as if heā€™d need to deal with inner city traffic on a daily basis

2 Likes

If I was Edwards I would 100% consider going to Paris

Great City, will have a blank cheque book to sign players and if (more probably - when) they win the champions league as some point in the next 5 years they probably will heā€™ll build his stock by taking a lot of the credit.

Seriously he could go there and probably double his annual income.

Would you do that in your profession - I know I would

Would he replace Leonardo or would he work under / with him?

1 Like

Leanardo is fucked at PSG aint he.

Whatā€™s he been there 5-7 years and no champions league

Replaces him would be my bet.

1 Like

Some top clubs/teams (bigger and more balanced than this PSG side) have gone sometimes multiple decades without the CL, itā€™s not all that simple.

1 Like

to elaborate on that, I had a friend who made a good career in the championship and I remember asking him once about a move (house) heā€™d just made with his family that put him 2 hours away from the training ground of his current club. I assumed it was indicative of an upcoming transfer, but instead he said it was a way to fill his day given he tended to only spend 3 to 4 hours a day actually in work. If he didnt find vanilla ways to fill his free time he worried about the sort of trouble he might find himself in.

2 Likes

Itā€™s easy to forgot now given the run they went on, but recall the complex Real had in chasing La Decima. What was it? 11 years between #9 and #10? All while pouring obscene money into the side

1 Like

Yeah, there are multiple examples. Not easy to compare, but Real have gone around 30 years (between '66 and '98) once without winning the CL. The quest for #10 also took a while like you say. Barca won their first one only in '92. Bayern had their hole between '76 and '01 and then another 10 years or so. Juventus with their first in '85 and only two to this day. And those are all domestically serial winners, more often than not. There are other examples like United, us (although we also had that ban), Inter (half a decade), etc. It just doesnā€™t happen that often. You can have some purple patches of course and the odd surprise here and there. But itā€™s very difficult to ā€œplan to winā€. In fact, in modern times, weā€™ve seen that the more a club wants it or is desperate, it can be counterproductive. Chelseaā€™s ā€œonlyā€ two times was arguably when they least expected it.

4 Likes

Real won 6 (?) in row before it was even really a thing. I donā€™t put much store in their 13 wins to be completely honest.

3 Likes

:100:

Their early ones are equivalent to charity shields

2 Likes

I think they won the first five, which all definitely have an asterisk next to them. It wasnā€™t the same competition, it wasnā€™t contested by all of the best in Europe, and it was more of a processional glorified friendly sort of thing.

To my mind Real Madrid have 8.

Definite European giants, but the record is inflated with 5 gimmies.

4 Likes

Is there nothing that Mikey canā€™t fix?

2 Likes