Michael Edwards

Probably funny when you typed it.

Wow you really have Hatelaide don’t you. Sydney not working out for you?

Just pulling your leg. I know it’s a nice place :wink:

How do you know that? Have certain experts told you?

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2024/03/michael-edwards-now-in-talks-with-fsg-over-new-role-at-liverpool-fc/?

3 Likes

What’s that?

According to the TIA piece, Edwards would be head of the recruitment and analytics departments and he would be involved in appointing the next sporting director and the new manager.

To me, having a head of recruitment and a sporting director does seem like duplication and possibly a recipe for conflict. Why would we need a sporting director if Edwards were to be head of recruitment?

Who’s going to appoint the throw-in coach?

If Edward’s sets the job description then there should be no clash.

3 Likes

This could be Edwards being a head of recruitment for FSG and not for Liverpool as such.

Or the guy from Bournemouth that was Technical Director will remain sort of Technical Director, that just gets things done.

Can’t wait for him to come back and give Xabi the choice of Eto’'o or Balotelli when he asks for a striker.

Don’t think he had that role or authority at the time.

1 Like

Just joshin :wink:

The challenge with these stories is there is no common definition for what any of these job titles mean so it’s really impossible from the outside to understand how the pieces fit together. What we know is that Edwards is a man who, like most ambitious and successful people, has been interested in expanding his remit over time. That suggests a role focused on analytics and recruitment for Liverpool working under a different sporting director, a significant reduction in the scope of his responsibility compared to the job he left, seems unfathomable that it would be of interest to him.

1 Like

With Billy Hogan become CEO of FSG international, I think a clear lane opens up for Edwards at Liverpool, above Sporting Director, if that’s what is being negotiated.

The title might be tricky to nail down, as Edwards isn’t a CEO in the usual business sense, but Hogan can still be that, albeit with a wider remit over the whole FSG orbit.

Edwards could then be CEO of football operations, or something like that. He doesn’t touch commercial, or many of the usual things that would report to a CEO, but he would be the boss of the footballing enterprise, with the key roles reporting up to him.

It’s not difficult to see a structure emerging that would be Edwards - Hughes - Alonso.

Scouting, analytics, recruitment and coaching would all be within the structure, and there would be many more people at work besides the three named.

So long as there are clear lanes in which everyone works, and the overall culture is collaborative, it could be really good for us.

If you get a person who wants to stick their elbows out and maybe try to run the show in more of an old school way, it won’t work. But I think that sort of governance model in football is fading out as the game gets bigger and bigger.

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/David_Ornstein/status/1766167561274597420

7 Likes

That’s encouraging. It was about time this club had a long-term appointment in sporting director role. I don’t know much about Hughes and his credentials but if Edwards rates him, that’s fine by me.

3 Likes

Just glad it’s all set to be done, and the focus can be on crushing Bayern’s balls and securing the next manager (Alonso).

2 Likes

Also a structure in place will be good.

2 Likes