T’was in the darkest depths of Mordor
I met a girl so fair
But Gollum, and the evil one
Crept up and slipped away with her
Her, her, yeah
Ain’t nothing I can do, no

Hope that helps.

1 Like

It’s the point in the two towers where after seemingly dying in a fight with the balrog, he returns as Gandalf the white

3 Likes

They slay Haaland along the way.

orcs GIF

4 Likes

Hi.

2 Likes

Isn’t he a bit like Bilbo, doing nifty things unnoticed by the most.

https://twitter.com/_pauljoyce/status/1767475625009242610

8 Likes

Briefing’s gone out by the looks of it. Widely reported. Edwards and Hughes boxed off. Now get us Alonso and the soothing balm for Klopp’s departure will have well and truly been applied.

3 Likes

Pierce Brosnan new sporting director.

Was a lot of talk at the time in the footballing circles Edwards moved on due to Klopp wanting more control over transfers.

2 Likes

We haven’t done too badly since he left on the transfer side of things, although it’s hard to know just how much of the work that has been done since was due to his involvement prior to leaving,

1 Like

Up for discussion and yeah, we don’t know the whole ins and outs of it.

With time, as we got better, certain players on the market became more expensive for us.

But at times lately, I’m not sure the club is totally satisfied with what we got so far from certain players (forwards especially) in comparison to how much they cost.

Hopefully our recruitment and coaching is of high level post-Klopp.

1 Like

Remember hearing this too RER. Let’s hope Xabi isn’t similar…

I think a lot of it stems from Edwards desire to be data led and brutal with contracts, and Klopp’s desire to keep his gang together.

The Henderson contract was obviously a flashpoint. He signed that deal in August 2021 after a long stand off, with Klopp apparently pulling strings to get him the deal he wanted (four years - he’s still be knocking around now).

Given by 2022 it was apparent his legs had gone, it’s hard to argue that Edwards wasn’t right about that one.

I also heard some rumours that the data team were not keen on Darwin, and it was Klopp who drove that one (one for Klopp?)

So I’m really looking forward to having Edwards back, and Richard Hughes. But cautious about what it means for players like Virgil, Robbo, Salah and Ali, who I think have lots left to give!

5 Likes

With Ward, Lijnders and Matos gone, perhaps we will cool a little bit from buying or sending money in bags to Portuguese clubs.

:joy:

Grauniad take on it:

3 Likes

Unfortunately he is no longer the most handsome Edwards in the PL…

1 Like

There would need to be a middle line taken obviously now. Klopp couldn’t have known that Henderson would fall off a cliff drastically after the new deal. It makes no sense for the likes of VVD , Robbo etc not to be offered deal obviously.

They probably have extensive data that can tell them whether a player is declining with great probability, right? I wonder if they could predict that the decline in Henderson’s and Fabinho’s performances would be that sharp, though.

I’d love to see the interpretation of that data when it comes to the quartet you named. My biggest concern with all four of them is that they played intensively for both club and country, that will have surely had a big impact on their long term fitness. Even Salah got a muscle injury recently, while Alisson isn’t exactly the Iron Man.

4 Likes

Probably the best outcome we could have hoped for. However, Edwards’ biggest challenge lies ahead. He needs to keep Liverpool a contender without having to rely on Jurgen Klopp just like Klopp did without him.

FSG, Edwards, Hughes have got to get the right manager in. They get it right and we’ll still be challenging. Get it wrong and we’ll have another Rodgers, not knowing how to use Firmino.

1 Like