Michael Edwards

Edwards and Klopp and the whole club management is a prime example of how each member comes together to form a bigger whole then trying to outdo each other. Each of them has formed a huge respect for each other’s role and our success in the last 2 seasons and hopefully in the next decade would be down to this off field excellence as much as the on field ones.

2 Likes

The genius this about these deals is that it really takes the pressure off the club to make the sales, or rather it stops clubs bending us over. We can feel more empowered to walk away.

I still think that between Karius, Grujic, Wilson, Origi, Woodburn, Shaqiri, Brewster and Hoever (plus the 15m already in for Lovren and a few other) there is easily enough value to cover this summers purchases and even end up in credit.

But if we were under pressure to sell to balance the books we’d get shafted. Punting the payments down the road means that we don’t have to take shit bids for any players. This summers outgoings are covered, we can wait until January or later to bring in money if necessary.

While I think the deals certainly suit us with regard to payment terms Bayern and Wolves also do ok out of it.

I mean Wolves are getting a £41m for a 23 year old. ok it’s spread over a number of years but he could be injured tomorrow and finish his career. We also seem to get hammered by agents fees, so we dont win in every aspect.

For me his true genius is the sales figures combined with the fact that he’s got the UK and European press combined with every little ITK, enthusiast, Goldridge wannabe (shiver :cold_face:) guessing at what the hell we’re going to do next.

One minor concern I have with these deals is the potential impact these have next transfer window, next season and so on. You could argue we’ve already committed some of our usual transfer pot.

2 Likes

I think your right about the agent fees. This is the one thing that isn’t publicly announced so we don’t know for example someone like Jorge Mendes is pocketing from a deal like Jota.

I think your mistaken about how it will affect next seasons window however. Given that the issue was that we lost money in match day revenue , once the fans come back in and the eventual royalties we will be getting from the nike deal flow in, we will be better somehow with financing.

I also think by next season we will be set to make sales from the squad. I could see us selling one of either Mane or Salah, and using that to look into making deals.

I do think we will not see any transfers this January, so yeah.

1 Like

very fair points. I do think the deals are good, given the circumstances but as with all transfers these carry risk. The fee agreed for Jota for example is not a small figure, but the clever bit is the payment terms. Same with Thiago I guess. I suppose one of his string points is being able to convince people on the other side of the table that how we want the deal to be structured suits them just as well.

His ability to sell players is mental though. I would never buy a car from him.

2 Likes

Actually, it’s one of the most transparent things about payments associated with a transfer.

yeah. We’re top of the league on agents fees in the PL. It’s something I honestly feel a little uncomfortable with to be honest as we dont really spend more than some other clubs, but as I know very little on how it all works I’m sure there’s a perfectly valid reason for it.

Agent fees are counted not just for transfers but also for contract renewals. We spent 30mil total last summer I believe and being top of agent spending despite spending so little on transfers mean we are spending on where it all matters, keeping a championship winning team intact.

1 Like

You mean the agent fees? We know how much an agent is exactly getting from a transfer dealing immediately?

Not immediately but the information is published.

Where would the agent fees be published? I know the amount that we pay to agents in general is published but deal by deal I usually don’t see us announcing how much percentage their representatives or agents get

The FA publishes the information. Although now I’m wondering whether I get access to it that’s not generally available :thinking:. Will check later this evening and if there’s a publicly available link I will post it.

1 Like

Someone needs to cut a classic “Omar’s coming” clip with Edwards.

5 Likes

I don’t think so. Bayern wanted Thiago off too because he wasn’t signing a contract extension and was leaving on a free and wanted to make what money they could. Thiago explicitly wanted to go only to Liverpool.

Bayern’s hands were tied at that point. I don’t think that will be the same going forward.

1 Like

Most of the stories imply that bayern wanted him to resign but as soon as we made our interest known Thiago told them he had only 1 thing in mind. There was at least one time under Rdgers when a player we wanted ended up signing for someone else for less than we were willing to pay. The shoes is now on the other foot as once a player has made up his mind like that the selling club doesnt have too many good options.

2 Likes

@ZinedineBiscan
Keeping with the Monty Python theme, “What did the Romans/FSG ever give us?”
Just add the names Salah, Mane, Klopp, Edwards etc

1 Like

Michael Edwards trending on twitter in the UK again. If he manages to move on Wilson, Grujic and Origi before the end of the transfer window for some good fees then he’ll have smashed this window (again). I mean, he’s already smashed it. But properly smashed it some more like a Greek party over several days.

2 Likes
1 Like

OUTS:
Lovren £11.5m
Ejaria £3.5m
Hoever £13m
Brewster £23.5m
TOTAL £51.5m

INS:

Tsimikas £12m
Thiago £20m (+£5m)
Jota £41m
Pitaluga £2m
TOTAL £75m (+£5m)

£9 million in add-ons for Brewster and Hoever while the Jota deal has £4 million in add-ons.

1 Like